QS8 connectors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peavley

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am thinking of changing to QS8 connectors, my current charger is the spectrum smart charger with ec5 connections. How would I charge the QS8? I wasn’t sure if I need to make an adaptor or if I could purchase one? How do people normally charge QS8?

Yes, an EC5-QS8 adaptor will be needed for the smart charger, Amazon probably has a few.

Just out of curiosity, why the change, did you melt an IC5 connector?

I am thinking of changing to QS8 connectors, my current charger is the spectrum smart charger with ec5 connections. How would I charge the QS8? I wasn’t sure if I need to make an adaptor or if I could purchase one? How do people normally charge QS8?
Whats up bud. Those connectors can handle some serious amps and power. Is there a reason why you want to change? You will definitely need a adapter. Can make them your self. If you soldier or know someone that can...

What type of RC are you running these connectors on??

Yes, an EC5-QS8 adaptor will be needed for the smart charger, Amazon probably has a few.

Just out of curiosity, why the change, did you melt an IC5 connector?
Thanks for the reply.
Not set yet on the change, just thinking that I might eventually put the castle hydra xlx2 esc in my boat (sonicwake v2) eventually. They recommend not using ec5 with it.

EC5 to QS8 adapter

Or grab some 12 gauge wire, solder EC5 on one end and QS8 on the other (charge lead) or they have them on amazon and online.

Personally I like leads so I can have more wire or extension to actually put my battery in my charging bag for safety.

If you're using a Spektrum SMART LiPos that dont have separate balance connectors youd have to somehow build that in to your adapter.

we dont even know what exact charger .its using. so due tell.most of the Spektrum chargers I've seen have a xt60 as in charger output.

Thanks guys for the info! Good point about the smart batteries not able to swap, I forgot about that. I only have two of the spectrum smart batteries, and five other batteries. I’ll keep the smart batteries smart and use them on my cars.

The charger I am using is S2200 G2.

I just wasn’t 100% sure about using adaptors for charging, because I’ve always heard you don’t want to use adaptors. I guess for charging g it is ok, just not for running?

For charging it is ok since its low power / current.
For running in the car, I wouldn't as it can add heat and resistance.
I run adapters in my bashers so I can go from running a solid plug over to 5mm bullets at times. Those adapters while racing a 5min race get pretty hot. Hoping to solder new plugs on or solder direct bullets so I have more of a direct connection and less heat/resistance.

For the non smart batteries, just run a adapter or lead to what plug you need, and then for the smart batteries, just plug in directly into the charger.

I believe for spectrum, you have to stay with the IC5 plug for charging since the balance plug in the actual IC5 plug (pin between the positive and negative terminals) Now with other batteries, the balance port is an external plug coming out of the battery.

The Spektrum G1 batteries have external balance plugs, while the new G2s are embedded in the IC5 plug.

Sometimes it is not about the amps but more about the size of the connector. Some of the smaller connectors like the XT60 are hard to push together and pull apart. I would love to put XT90's and QS8's on all my rigs that have plugs that are hard to connect and disconnect.
If this makes no sense to you, get a little older and you will get it. :thumbs-up:

I just wasn’t 100% sure about using adaptors for charging, because I’ve always heard you don’t want to use adaptors. I guess for charging g it is ok, just not for running?
Adapters are completely fine to use for charging. Adapters will add a bit of extra resistance to the circuit which could become an issue in the form of excessive heat, if you're using them in a situation where you are already pushing the existing circuit close to max then you could end up melting a connector due to excessive heat. If you're unsure whether its safe to use an adapter you can always start using it and then just keep tabs on it with a temp gun and make sure it doesn't get over about 180-200F-ish.

Sometimes it is not about the amps but more about the size of the connector. Some of the smaller connectors like the XT60 are hard to push together and pull apart. I would love to put XT90's and QS8's on all my rigs that have plugs that are hard to connect and disconnect.
If this makes no sense to you, get a little older and you will get it. :thumbs-up:

EC5 might be a good choice.

I find the XT60's much easier to use than the QS8s. I've burnt up a few QS8s from not being fully engaged and they are super stiff and hard to see being all black.
1699923290871.jpeg
1699923301394.jpeg

If you're concerned run a red marker around the edge of the female side.
1699923215286.png