connectors for Castle XLX2 8s?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrebee88

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I have several 8s RC's that have EC5 connectors. Xmaxx, XRT, and Super Baja Rey. These all have the stock electronics in them. I am about to start building an HPI Baja 5b that I am pairing with a Castle XLX2 and 800KV motor. I have mainly used EC5 on all my 8s setups, but according to castle, I need better connectors for the XLX2. I am wondering if I should just go QS8 and then get these batteries. Any thoughts or experience?

Powerhobby 4s 14.8V 8000MAH 100C Lipo Battery w QS8 Plug Hard Case 8AWG​

I would not advise using EC5's on the XLX2. The EC5 is capable of 120A continuous which is lower than the XLX2's requirement which, if memory serves, is 200A continuous.

The only two connectors capable of that are the QS8's and 8mm bullets. I was unaware of that requirement when I Installed my first XLX2 in my Outcast and now I'm very familiar with Castle's warranty (which is great by the way)

I burned up the first XLX2 running XT120's. I live close to Castles headquarters so I drove out there and even though the failure was totally my fault, they still warrantied it.

The QS8 V2 anti spark has worked well for me but keep in mind, they are big and heavy. You MUST secure the connector to the chassis or the weight of it will rip the output posts off the board of the XLX2, which castle also warrantied...... twice. Great company, well worth the money.

I can't speak to the batteries as I've never used power hobbies brand. There's a really good post on this forum about battery quality and performance. I'd recommend Liperior which is what I'm using in both my 8s rigs with great results.

Hope this info helps you keep the smoke on the inside. Good luck and happy bashing.

Ok. I will definitely get the qs8 and Velcro the leads when in use. I’ve had great luck with powerhobby batteries. I have only had 1 battery with a bad cell and they replaced it.

Temp Isn't the problem. Voltage ripple is. My XTs never got over 100 degrees and smoked the esc. They created a bottleneck and starved the board. At least, that's what the Castle tech explained to me.

I've heard nothing but bad things about powerhobby lipo. Expensive trash! if you want performance go smc and if you want cheaper go with the yellow liperior packs or cnhl

I've heard nothing but bad things about powerhobby lipo. Expensive trash! if you want performance go smc and if you want cheaper go with the yellow liperior packs or cnhl
If its the same power hobby on ebay I try to avoid them. 3 orders in a row were missing parts.

I got a couple 4s batteries 8000mah directly from their website last summer and they have been running strong in my Xmaxx and XRT. I’ll look into the smc and liperion packs.

I ended up ordering SMC

HCL-HP 14.8V-8200mAh-150C pack.​

Last edited:
I ended up ordering SMC

HCL-HP 14.8V-8200mAh-150C pack.​

Those packs are amazing and totally worth it. Especially if you have upgraded electronics 😎 👍

Awesome! I am glad to here that

Back