Please recommend me a charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So wouldn't that mean that all chargers are testing IR during either a charge or discharge cycle, regardless of whether or not it's displayed to the user?

If so, wouldn't you get a more accurate IR from simply monitoring voltage drop on the actual load (esc) the battery is feeding?

So wouldn't that mean that all chargers are testing IR during either a charge or discharge cycle, regardless of whether or not it's displayed to the user?

If so, wouldn't you get a more accurate IR from simply monitoring voltage drop on the actual load (esc) the battery is feeding?
They all test voltage, but not all test IR.

The IR will vary, depending on a lot of factors. It's best to get in the habit of monitoring your IR the same way every time to get a comparative value. I let my battery charge, then sit for about 5 minutes. That's when I read my IR.

I don't have any chargers that display IR and I've never really considered it to be important. Not to say that internal resistance isn't important, just that I use a different method. I use a small voltage display that plugs into the balance plug. On the car, turned on and rip the throttle. Watch how much the voltage drops under load and make sure all cells are dropping about the same. It seems to me (but as I mentioned prior, I'm an idiot) the IR would be more accurate if it is tested on the actual load the battery is feeding, rather than a simulated one.

I don't have any chargers that display IR and I've never really considered it to be important. Not to say that internal resistance isn't important, just that I use a different method. I use a small voltage display that plugs into the balance plug. On the car, turned on and rip the throttle. Watch how much the voltage drops under load and make sure all cells are dropping about the same. It seems to me (but as I mentioned prior, I'm an idiot) the IR would be more accurate if it is tested on the actual load the battery is feeding, rather than a simulated one.
All cells can drain similarly, and your IR can be high enough on each cell and cause a meltdown. You wouldn't notice that without a meter. It's not typical, but possible. And the IR will climb on all batteries over time with use and wear. Keeping an eye on your IR is the best way to know the health of your battery, and will give you a heads up before your battery gets into the danger zone. Otherwise, you're stuck using the old method of waiting til they puff up to know you've got problems. And by then, you've already passed the point when the battery should have been disposed of.

You reminded me of one of the questions I have been waiting to ask. I've heard mixed opinions on charging bags. Some say must have, some say not necessary. Thoughts?

If you decide to use bags, then I would encourage you to separate your LiPo's into a separate bag per LiPo and to separate the bags far enough apart so they won't allow a "chain reaction" should one of the LiPo's burst into flames.

You have about 10-15 seconds to get a smoking/popping LiPo outside before the LiPo actually bursts into flames, so having them in a bag will make it easier to carry the pack outside. I have witnessed close to a dozen LiPo fires over the years at the local race clubs in my area and many times I've tried to carry a smoking pack by the wires only for the wires quickly separate and then I start kicking the pack outside as fast as I can.

Since IR meters are available now, I feel that is a reasonably safe method for me to charge my packs inside my car, and if I were to experience a fire, then it's easier to carry the whole car outside knowing that I will experience some damage to the car.

Finally got one that measures IR……. I’ve had this zeeee for awhile now.
image.jpg

Not bad but not done

once done I had about one milli ohm difference, 1 and 4 were the same and 2 and 3 were the same. The measurements went away before I got a picture. This battery could be close to retirement

never seen a lipo Explode . please show video proof they explode. seem them thermal. make a hiss then start to smoke then a small flame thrower..so I call wrong on exploding in charge or discharge.explosion of a lipo is not gonna happen ever !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07R18YNZQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AR2NVNA2K4WQD&psc=1

I bought this one about a year ago. It does a great job. I’m happy with it. It is easy to use, and has a bunch of charging modes. I’m pleased with my charging times and how well it charges my non Traxxas batteries. It has a bunch of leads for about all battery type connector for your lipos. And it’ll charge your onboard nitro batteries too. All on that one harness.

So far I wouldn’t trade it for another. Buy, in some cases ignorance is bliss. Time will tell.