Not sure my truck is a monster it's nitro. But it doesn't work.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my kind of luck. Have a feeling I am stuck with this thing. Ain't no one gonna pay anywhere near what I paid for it. It's now not new and it doesn't work.

Well ,the way that it acted when you was trying to start it ,was symptoms of a backwards piston ,but in some
engines ,it is not possible because of the skirt of the piston hitting the inside of the backplate!
But if you feel that there maybe some kind of defect ,I would try to get a refund or some kind of exchange!..:thumbs-up::cool:
I know that there is factory mistakes as they are mass produced on assembly ,my friend got a high end engine with
new from factory with damaged needle o-rings on the carb ,so it is possible!..:thumbs-up:

As it turned out I had a semi-working ignitor. It lit the glow plug when I tested but due to my inexperience I did not realize it wasn't working right.
When I would test it the plug would light up but it lit slowly.
Tech support helped me narrow that down.
Went to a local RC Racing Hobby shop bought a AA Ignitor and a few extra glow plugs. Tested plug in new ignitor and it lit in a split second and was super bright. the one I had was nothing like this one.
Put in a new plug dropped the ignitor on and fired up 1st pull.
I felt so dumb all the hours I wasted and almost sending it back or selling it.

I have a vid of a foul plug ,a foul plug will glow but not hot enough to ignite ,but the engine is more typically
to die when igniter is removed ,but when a engine is running rich a plug will be foul an may not be hot enough
to fire the engine!
But glad you got it figured out!..:thumbs-up:

Glad to hear you got it going.

If they didn't tell you, don't use alkaline cells. They will not hold up for an ingnitor for very long. I use AA heaters, but with NiMH 2000mah+ cells in them. They will last all day easily, even with multiple starts for a break-in. Just make sure to charge them and have a spare cell or two with you.

Those HSP cars are so good, surprised me how decent quality they really are.
Engines are super easy to tune, and run well.
Well done!

Those HSP cars are so good, surprised me how decent quality they really are.
Engines are super easy to tune, and run well.
Well done!
HSP is a good brand yeah. I have a brushless 1/8 scale and its super.

HSP is a good brand yeah. I have a brushless 1/8 scale and its super.

I have always considered them inferior to anything else out there, especially traxxas.
They may be a copy of other brands, but a very good copy at that!
And the best thing is, parts are still available trough ali express and cheap too.

I have always considered them inferior to anything else out there, especially traxxas.
They may be a copy of other brands, but a very good copy at that!
And the best thing is, parts are still available trough ali express and cheap too.
It's def not the best yes. 😂 But it does a what it needs to. :)

It's one of the more available cars here in South Africa. Parts are also widely available in our hobby shops.

I've had mine for 3 years and only broke like front hubs which were cheap as chips to replace.

But I don't bash like Kevin Talbot, so I wouldn't know how they will stand up against that sort of bashing. 🤣

Would love a Xmaxx. Not sure what they go for in the states, but converted to dollar from our rand, it comes out to over $1500. Too much for me! LOL!

It's def not the best yes. 😂 But it does a what it needs to. :)

It's one of the more available cars here in South Africa. Parts are also widely available in our hobby shops.

I've had mine for 3 years and only broke like front hubs which were cheap as chips to replace.

But I don't bash like Kevin Talbot, so I wouldn't know how they will stand up against that sort of bashing. 🤣

Would love a Xmaxx. Not sure what they go for in the states, but converted to dollar from our rand, it comes out to over $1500. Too much for me! LOL!
I have had some first hand experience with HSP nitros.
I have a mate that has a few HSP nitros, he never worried about temps, proper tuning...etc, overheated....list goes on.
I was sure his engines were toast. But I tune them for him and they just keep going and hold a good idle.
After all, all these engines are made in Taiwan, I bet they all come out from the same factory, just different labels.

And I was always so worried about overheating my traxxas engines, that it stopped me from actually enjoying running them.
Reading all the forums, freaked me out that overheating will kill your engine....which probably would if ran like this all the time.
In the end, you just can't kill them....they go and go!

The original himoto 1/8 rancho & torpeda were great quality.
After all, all these engines are made in Taiwan, I bet they all come out from the same factory, just different labels.
China as well.

I am mostly Taiwanese produced rc fan
The duratrax torq small blocks are the design that became VX .16 .18

Last edited:
As it turned out I had a semi-working ignitor. It lit the glow plug when I tested but due to my inexperience I did not realize it wasn't working right.
When I would test it the plug would light up but it lit slowly.
Tech support helped me narrow that down.
Went to a local RC Racing Hobby shop bought a AA Ignitor and a few extra glow plugs. Tested plug in new ignitor and it lit in a split second and was super bright. the one I had was nothing like this one.
Put in a new plug dropped the ignitor on and fired up 1st pull.
I felt so dumb all the hours I wasted and almost sending it back or selling it.
Sell it now when it's running. I only say that because I became biased against nitro RCs after watching countless people get discouraged with them. I know that's ridiculous because the guys that can easily make them run right love them for good reason.

Back