Noobie crawler suggestions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledgehog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Very interested in getting a crawler soon. I have a heavily wooded backyard with trails and rocks. Not getting serious about it and just want something that won't need a bunch of upgrades out of the box, will be durable, but also not super expensive. (and NO Traxxas. I don't want to get into why, just no TRX-4 recommendations please)

I was looking at the redcat gen series or the vaterra ascender. The redcat Gen7 Sport seems right in my price range @$200 but if the extra $80 for the non-sport versions are well worth it I can save a little more for it and wait a little longer to get on the trails. Not sure what the differences are and if the sport will be good enough for my needs. :D Still want to stay under $300 for the actual vehicle is possible.

I'm sure this has been asked before but most of the threads I've viewed are really old and while the models themselves prob haven't changed much, little things that do can have a large impact on the vehicle overall from my rc experience with other types.

So, can I please have some current recommendations that would suit my purposes and price range. Thanks in advance!

I'll be running in the trails behind my house mostly.

IMG_20190422_160708.jpg
IMG_20190422_160643.jpg

My opinion ,If you don't have a few friends to crawl or trail with ,you will be bored to death in just a few runs!

I bought a used 1/16 crawler to try it out one time ,ehh ,got rid of it 2 weeks later ,it was not my cup of tea!...

i know my LHS is getting the new Associated CR12 coming in soon, wanted to look at that when they did. looking at the redcat crawlers, they look really cool imo, i know its redcat, but still. G-Made makes really good crawlers as well. my buddy has the R1 Rock buggy with a novak goat crawler esc/motor.
with that one you will want to get the steel drivelines asap, only weakness we have encountered yet.
my LHS owner has the electrix barrage, he really likes that thing, but he is trying to find different spring set as they feel to stiff for his crawling.

My opinion ,If you don't have a few friends to crawl or trail with ,you will be bored to death in just a few runs!

I think I'd be quite happy putting round my backyard trails and rocks, plus I do have some buddies who would be willing to come over and play some days. I never really understood the basics of crawling until I watched a ton of Medic's vids on RC Sparks and got a full understanding of what it's actually all about, how the scoring system works, etc.
I'm also part of the New England RC Junkies group on facebook and they do weekend meetups quite frequently if I want to make the trip, so there's no shortage of company should I need it. :)

I think I'd be quite happy putting round my backyard trails and rocks, plus I do have some buddies who would be willing to come over and play some days. I never really understood the basics of crawling until I watched a ton of Medic's vids on RC Sparks and got a full understanding of what it's actually all about, how the scoring system works, etc.
I'm also part of the New England RC Junkies group on facebook and they do weekend meetups quite frequently if I want to make the trip, so there's no shortage of company should I need it. :)

Well then ,:thumbs-up::thumbs-up:
A friend of DJ Medic's ,is a friend of mine!......

Soooo noone has any input on actual vehicles eh?

I've known DJ for over 15 years ,before he became what he is today ,when he bought his Mgt.!
I don't normally do this ,but sense your not getting no feedback here ,you might want to jump over
on his forum!
Just a suggestion! :cool:

I literally just posted over there. :D

Yea ,they do a lot more crawling & trailing ,its a good forum ,I myself freak over there ,but that's only because
of Dj Medic just to peak in ,I think that I am a member on just about all rc related forums ,most are dead now!

I hope you find your answers!....:thumbs-up:

Yea ,Axial pretty much dominated the crawling seen ,lots of aftermarket & hop-ups for it an can't go wrong
with that one ,probably even a good used one!....:cool:

Yeah, the Axial stuff looks nice but I'm trying to stay under $300 for the car. My current budget will only allow it with all my other RCs... outdoor racing track opening this weekend and I know I'm gonna break parts on the track on my 2wd 1/10 buggy and talion on the big 1/8th track (specially with my track inexperience with it), :D. Don't want to be dead in the water cuz I can't afford my replacements during the season.

Yeah, the Axial stuff looks nice but I'm trying to stay under $300 for the car. My current budget will only allow it with all my other RCs... outdoor racing track opening this weekend and I know I'm gonna break parts on the track on my 2wd 1/10 buggy and talion on the big 1/8th track (specially with my track inexperience with it), :D. Don't want to be dead in the water cuz I can't afford my replacements during the season.

Heres a more budget one ,don't know about parts availability ,Axial may interchange!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VRX-Racing...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I've been leaning towards that one specifically actually. been watching a lot of review vids and it seems you really do a get a ton of bang for the buck on the Gen7 pro. :D It's also prob way more truck than I need for what I'll be using it for as well even without the gear upgrade.

Very interested in getting a crawler soon. I have a heavily wooded backyard with trails and rocks. Not getting serious about it and just want something that won't need a bunch of upgrades out of the box, will be durable, but also not super expensive. (and NO Traxxas. I don't want to get into why, just no TRX-4 recommendations please)

I was looking at the redcat gen series or the vaterra ascender. The redcat Gen7 Sport seems right in my price range @$200 but if the extra $80 for the non-sport versions are well worth it I can save a little more for it and wait a little longer to get on the trails. Not sure what the differences are and if the sport will be good enough for my needs. :D Still want to stay under $300 for the actual vehicle is possible.

I'm sure this has been asked before but most of the threads I've viewed are really old and while the models themselves prob haven't changed much, little things that do can have a large impact on the vehicle overall from my rc experience with other types.

So, can I please have some current recommendations that would suit my purposes and price range. Thanks in advance!
Luv my gen 7 sport but it's worth the extra for the pro just for the better axles. Imo

Yeah it seems you get your moneys worth. Mud guard wheel wells, no body posts, metal gears, better axles, full aluminium shocks,etc.

Back