When and where to add weight

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Learning more about the hobby as I go, just got overdrive front gears ordered for my TRX4 and TRX4M. My Element Ecto crawls really well with the stock overdrive gears so far so I'm leaving that as is.
I've been adding a little weight here and there, but realized weight in different places leads to different results, sometimes not desirable. Going on my limited current knowledge, it seems that adding weight at wheel and axle level is the best approach as that is the lowest place, not sure about any advantage of adding weight higher up. Also weight can be added to the front, middle or rear, with front weight helping uphill and rear weight helping downhill. I intend to do a lot of trailing with a fair amount of tough hills along the way, both uphill and downhill. Should I try to bias the front? Keep it balanced? Also not sure how much added weight is enough and when the line is crossed into too much.

For example, right now my TRX4 has 42g outer portal covers (168g total), 52g front/rear diff covers (104g total), and beadlocks/tires that come in a little over 500g total. I'm running a Hobbywing Fusion & Hobbystar high torque servo that seems totally unphased by the additional weight so far. I guess I could keep adding more weight, but don't want add it just because I can.

How do those here more experienced with crawler/trail rigs typically approach adding weight to find the sweet spot for performance?

For obvious reason's down low because you don't want top heavy.
Other than what's available I don't bother going further than brass diff covers
and wheel weights.
For me, finding a different route is more challenging than loading up my rig with weight just to master a line if that makes sense?

The consensus seems to be a 60/40 split for weight. 60 percent of the weight up front 40 percent weight in the back. the lower you get the center of gravity the better. Most folks say to avoid rotational weight such as wheel weights but I still use them. It's best if you put the weight in your steering knuckles, axles, etc. always best to add one item at a time and see how it changes the way it drives. You really only need enough weight to keep the wheels planted, kind of a balancing act.

What's the drawback on wheel weights? Seems like that and the portals are the best location since around half the weight that gets put there is at or below hub level.

What's the drawback on wheel weights? Seems like that and the portals are the best location since around half the weight that gets put there is at or below hub level.

Rotational mass from the wheel weights put extra stress on the drive train. Like I said it hasn't stopped me from doing it, but I have lots of bad habits. 🤣

Well I already have weighted wheels for all 3 of my crawler rigs, guess I'll take my chances!🤣

Well I already have weighted wheels for all 3 of my crawler rigs, guess I'll take my chances!🤣
It's not as big a deal on these little crawlers, as long as your motor is strong enough to turn them. I use the Treal +5mm brass extenders on mine, but I use lightweight wheels. Keeps the rotational mass closer to center while adding a little weight.

You sure your inexperienced in the hobby?
That comment is used a lot.
At least I use it a lot.
Oh well, guess I’ll take my chances. 😂
Usually ends in a break, but wheel weights?
You’ll be fine, if something breaks just upgrade it.👍🏼