Travel sized crawler for hotel use?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manderthal

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
NEED ADVICE:
I have a trip coming up and I'm going to be stuck in my hotel room(s) quite a lot. I want to bring a small crawler for hotel room, spare bed obstacle course mayhem. There's nothing good on TV anyway right.
I already have a FCX24 Blazer but I'd rather find something a little smaller size, like a true 1/24 scale or smaller. Something that I can tinker on when home and pack for travel.
THOUGHTS?

The Axial AX24 is a fun capable rig straight out of the box. Has 4 wheel steer which I didn't think I would use, but it turns out to be quite fun.

My second choice wouldbe the Axial SCX24 Deadbolt. The most capable out of the box regular mini crawler.

I agree. The SCX24 Deadbolt is the most capable one we have had out of the box. And the amount of hopups for them is ridiculous. We've yet to grab the AX24, but it looks like a really fun one to play around with.

I have an Axial SCX 24 Deadbolt. It's literally 7.5 inches long x 4 wide. It's an absolute blast. Tons of aftermarket support and a great, versatile crawler.

17088655480105618763423959327793.jpg

honestly I'd just stick with what ya got.
But if you really want to get something new, I'd go with a AX24 or SCX24 deadbolt. or, while you're at it, get em both.
Shame on you! You never talk someone out of buying a micro crawler!

I agree. Deadbolt.

Should have went that route first but, I like to be different. Spent a lot of time and money to make a couple others decent. Couple friends have Deadbolts and haven't spent much. Just steering servos and weight in the right places.

Go to Amain Hobbies and use this 15% off code. NCJ24 Just bought one for 93 something? plus tax. 101.00.

I added some brass down low. Not liking the tall shocks, too tippy. I took it out on the same rocks course and all it did was flip. Gonna go with the short ones.

20240229_092726.jpg

Really? Crap! Just ordered some 43mm. How long are those?
Yes 43mm. Since they are just spring I'll be going back to stockers. Might look for oil dampers. I do want to change tires and wheels. The stock tires don't like damp soil. They completely pack up and are slicks at best. Lugs a really small.

Yes 43mm. Since they are just spring I'll be going back to stockers. Might look for oil dampers. I do want to change tires and wheels. The stock tires don't like damp soil. They completely pack up and are slicks at best. Lugs a really small.
The ones I ordered are oil filled. Try using shorter springs. Brings the body down but, still gives you better articulation. I do have some brass coming too. And the stock tires are leaving right away. Lol.

Oil filled shocks on RC's this small, especially crawlers, is absolutely pointless. The whole reason for oil in a shock is to help control the bumps your car takes at speed. It only hinders performance in a crawler this size because you'd basically have to use alcohol to even be close to proper scale fluid consistency.

Every one of the aftermarket shocks don't allow for droop unless you increase your sprung weight by adding weight to the chassis, which ultimately raises your center of gravity, even if at full droop on your shocks. But every aftermarket shock I have seen have the truck sitting with the shocks fully extended. Even ones that have every available hopup Treal makes, along with aluminum battery trays, aluminum trans housings, etc. This is because the springs are far to stiff. You'd have better performance simply by removing the springs.

So the aftermarket shocks to me are only for show, and definitely not a beneficial performance upgrade. The best setup I have found on anything under 1/16 scale trucks is air shocks and very light springs, giving nearly full droop at rest. So the best shocks for the SCX24's is the stock shocks, hands down. You can achieve nearly full droop with them simply by adding an aluminum trans housing and center crossmember, which both sit fairly low in the chassis.

That's just my opinion.

This is nearly full droop, and the only weight added to the chassis is the PN Racing motor, motor mount, and gearset.

Last edited: