Nitro Rustler with 2 speed transmission

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a mini oven, I can try that, what do you think.. around 150-200°? And how would I rotate it when it's that hot ? 😬
Put it in a vise and get ya some of these.
f78539a1-b76a-4758-826e-e59cc8f228dd_1.41fbb3a3a5461827bb462535b6f0ace0.jpeg

@STONER RC is the master of freeing up stuck engines.

Passing by Walmart after work tonight to buy me some heat resistant gloves... Hopefully with the heat the parts will expand and move so I can fix it tomorrow.. if not I will just have to trade it in for a new engine, which I don't want to because it's more money 🤦‍♂️

I have a mini oven, I can try that, what do you think.. around 150-200°? And how would I rotate it when it's that hot ? 😬

No need for an oven if you have a heat gun?
Running the engin lean for those few extra mph is a bad idea.
Warm it up, grab the flywheel with some type of grippers and it will turn for sure.
First open it up if you havent already and make sure you havent snapped the conrod, exploded bearing....etc.

No need for an oven if you have a heat gun?
Running the engin lean for those few extra mph is a bad idea.
Warm it up, grab the flywheel with some type of grippers and it will turn for sure.
First open it up if you havent already and make sure you havent snapped the conrod, exploded bearing....etc.
Yeah I know its always better to run your engine rich rather than lean but it was my first tank with 30% nitro and I was still finding the right tune.. went too lean on it I made it to 62 mph but the engine shut off right after and seized.
Thanks for the heat gun comment, it made me think of my wife's hairdryer so I ended up using it to heat up the engine for about 15 minutes and it got hot enough that I was able to barely move it, I put some Wd40 on it and with a leather belt on it so I don't strip the flywheel I twisted/rotated it until the sleeve and rod popped up together through the top, took out the rod and sleeve & should be good now... Will receive the parts next week, thanks for the quick tips guys!
20220920_212148.jpg

Sorry for coming in late on this - if you want the 2 speed transmission to fit on the Rustler chassis, you'll need to cut a plate for the transmission as well as the Jato engine mount (you have to use that engine mount). It's not really that hard actually.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/invader-nitro-slash-drag-car.126814/page-8

I don't think you'll get more top speed (not entirely sure but the final drive ratio is going to be the same or similar to the single speed trans), but it will allow you to gear up a lot higher for that because now you'll have a first gear for taking off quick. It also gives you another (fun) tuning point, which is what I love about those transmissions and using them for racing.

Whats th
Sorry for coming in late on this - if you want the 2 speed transmission to fit on the Rustler chassis, you'll need to cut a plate for the transmission as well as the Jato engine mount (you have to use that engine mount). It's not really that hard actually.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/invader-nitro-slash-drag-car.126814/page-8

I don't think you'll get more top speed (not entirely sure but the final drive ratio is going to be the same or similar to the single speed trans), but it will allow you to gear up a lot higher for that because now you'll have a first gear for taking off quick. It also gives you another (fun) tuning point, which is what I love about those transmissions and using them for racing.
Thank you for the information this is actually very helpful since youve already done it. What's the difference between using the regular Rustler engine mount and the Jato engine mount just curious, is it a sizing issue? I will be posting a picture just to make sure I'm ordering the correct part.

Also I believe 70 mph with the 1 Speed tranny is do-able I just need smaller spur gear which the Jato tranny carries.. and if the first gear helps with the acceleration that would be awesome because mine is trash 😅 I think it takes like 4-5 seconds to reach 60mph
Screenshot_20220921_131329.jpg

That's the right mount. It's necessary for getting the engine to mate up with that transmission, and it actually clamps the engine to the transmission, which is a great design.

That's the right mount. It's necessary for getting the engine to mate up with that transmission, and it actually clamps the engine to the transmission, which is a great design.
Perfect, I have ordered the mount and it should be here next friday... I've already created the aluminum plate I will place the tranny on as well.
In the mean time I ended up breaking in the new rod and sleeve, it went pretty smooth and afterwards I actually got the Rustler to run 68mph (I will leave pictures of the set up I have for the spur gear (60 teeth) and how I placed the engine to reach that speed if your interested.)
Tomorrow I will try with 30% instead of 20% nitro to see if I can close that 2mph gap to 70mph.
Now the issue that I'm having is the breaks, it's not breaking fast enough for me. So my next question would be is there faster/better brakes than the stock Rustler breaks!?
20220923_194611.jpg
20220923_194702.jpg

20220923_194507.jpg
20220923_194754.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect, I have ordered the mount and it should be here next friday... I've already created the aluminum plate I will place the tranny on as well.
In the mean time I ended up breaking in the new rod and sleeve, it went pretty smooth and afterwards I actually got the Rustler to run 68mph (I will leave pictures of the set up I have for the spur gear (60 teeth) and how I placed the engine to reach that speed if your interested.)
Tomorrow I will try with 30% instead of 20% nitro to see if I can close that 2mph gap to 70mph.
Now the issue that I'm having is the breaks, it's not breaking fast enough for me. So my next question would be is there faster/better brakes than the stock Rustler breaks!?
View attachment 153057View attachment 153058
View attachment 153059View attachment 153060
What servo are you using for your throttle/brake servo?

How does it not brake?
Do you mean it just slides forward while the rear wheels lock up?
Normal with a RWD, and also cause rustler is very light.

How does it not brake?
Do you mean it just slides forward while the rear wheels lock up?
Normal with a RWD, and also cause rustler is very light.
No I understand if the wheel locks up it will slide because of the speed it is stopping from but what it did was it was slowing down with the tire still rotating as it slowed down until it actually locked up tight and stopped completely. I feel like it was lagging strenght in my opinion.
I dissambled it and re put it together to later find out, it was in fact the servo. The screws had cracked the case were it is held from so it was loose, in my opinion I had tighten them too much and with one of the crashes it just snapped and I didn't notice until now... I'm replacing the servo to see if it will help.

Last edited:
I believe I have just the stock #2055 servo, does that affect breaking?
The 2055 is a weak POS servo and if its going bad it could be even weaker than normal. A servo upgrade there may improve your breaking.

The 2055 is a weak POS servo and if its going bad it could be even weaker than normal. A servo upgrade there may improve your breaking.
What servos would you suggest for the Rustler?

Last edited:
What steering servos would you suggest for the Rustler?

If you're looking for something budget-oriented that's still got some muscle and good centering, I'm a fan of Surpass's S0900M, I've got it steering my MT. Not quite as fast and strong as the Savox, but still better than stock servos for the same price as one, less even than the 2055.

The 2055 has 86oz of torque, the Surpass has 125oz, and the Savox has 347oz-in, but their power draw will also correlate to their torque output * speed.

If you're looking for something budget-oriented that's still got some muscle and good centering, I'm a fan of Surpass's S0900M, I've got it steering my MT. Not quite as fast and strong as the Savox, but still better than stock servos for the same price as one, less even than the 2055.

The 2055 has 86oz of torque, the Surpass has 125oz, and the Savox has 347oz-in, but their power draw will also correlate to their torque output * speed.
Oh wow that's a great price for a better than stock servo. I will most likely get this one first and if it still not breaking as strong I will get the savox 👍thanks for all the info!
Its a standard size servo so it should be
Perfect, I will try the Surpass servo first, if it feels it could break better/ faster I will change it for the Savox 👍

Passing by Walmart after work tonight to buy me some heat resistant gloves... Hopefully with the heat the parts will expand and move so I can fix it tomorrow.. if not I will just have to trade it in for a new engine, which I don't want to because it's more money 🤦‍♂️
Lots of heat will free any stuck nitro engine bud. I use a torch and a pair of vise grips on shaft. To spin crank while heating. Definitely need a vise to hold the engine though.