nitro rustler upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aligc

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i have recently bought a nitro rustler from a mate at work for £30. it was the original pro .15 lol, after getting it running to make sure everything was working i immediately got bored!! so i decided to whack my spare 3.3 engine in it, it required a few mods but its now in!
Tested it the weekend and wow!! thing is too powerful!! after 2 minutes of play something breaks! it had stripped the teeth right off the spur gear so i got a steel one lol just waiting now for a day off to go test it again!!
i can see me having so much fun with this!! will get some pictures soon.

I'd leave the spur plastic. The only reason it stripped was from a bad mesh or an overly tight slipper. The rusty's are too light to blow spurs off. Unless set up badly and WAY over abused(landing off of a big jump wot, ect...).

I'd leave the spur plastic. The only reason it stripped was from a bad mesh or an overly tight slipper. The rusty's are too light to blow spurs off. Unless set up badly and WAY over abused(landing off of a big jump wot, ect...).

True but is a rusty really any lighter then a Jato?

True that. Maybe it's just me, but I've never had a spur go south unless I did something dumb. Not checking motor screws mainly. I've had the same spur gear on my stampede for 10 years. Sure, it's found it's way off, on to other trannys, in the tool box, ect... But for the most part, it's been in use. I've broken plenty of counter gears in stock trx trannys from overly tight slippers, but not spurs. Maybe I have finally found my calling; Setting gear mesh! I suck at everything else!

nitro rustler with a 3.3

i have a nitro rustler with a 3.3 in it and yes it will haul butt the only thing i am haveing trouble with is i have striped the gears in 2 tran's but only when the power side comes off the ground (ie) catching a bummp and that side of the truck come's up and hits the ground befor i can get the wheel's slowed down any idea as to what i can do besides drive better :D to fix this or will the steel gears be a good pick ?

thanks

I'm thinking about going steel all the way and leaving the spur plastic. It gets old splitting trannys. With the slipper set right, there's no problems. But I would like to crank it down every once in a while to get some easier wheelies. I'd rather break spurs and drivetrain parts then the cheesy counter gear that requires removing evey damn screw in the rear end. I haven't looked for steel gears yet, though.

i have a .28 the tires will spin or pop a wheelie only prob i had was the drive shaft poping off

What tires are you running with the .28 for the tires to spin? Are you on dirt, or street? And to someone who posted earlier, I do think the Rustler with a 3.3 and the Jato 3.3 are pretty much the same weight.

there dirt tires. if I'm on dirt it just makes a huge dirt cloud. it doesn't matter where i drive it they will spin

Sorry old thread.. Have any of you guys put in a 2 speed tranny??? I'm looking at getting one of these and slipping in the 3.3 and tranny but would like to hear thoughts first.. A Little low on funds so I can't afford to experiment much..

You know, After researching abit, I realized that the rustler and the jato are roughly the same weight once you add the tranny and the 3.3 so I don't guess there would be much of a point.. Just buy a jato..

3.3 motor in rustler

New Guy here :D
I bought a used rusty that has a 3.3 jato motor and jato A-Arms on it. I'm concerned that the 3.3 will tear up the tranny. I had a Nitro Rustler a few years back and loved it. Is the 3.3 that much more powerful? The acceleration curve looks the same up until 40 MPH. I guess the 2 speed tranny helps it achieve better top speed... Thanks.

Back