Newbie battery charging question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epetrillo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve been out of the Rc game for many years so pardon me if I get some of the terminology wrong. I’ve bought a haiboxing hailstorm to play with while I wait for my Tamiya ta08 pro kit to arrive. The hailstorm comes with 2 850mah lipo batteries but only a usb charger. Don’t really trust that charger so I picked up a lectron charger to use instead.
Question is the lectron when setting up total capacity moves in 100mah increments so I can set it to 800mah or 900mah but not the 850 the batteries are rated at. So where do I set it?

You'll be fine and safe with the lower setting. Just for info purposes I charge some 2200mah batteries off my truck power port using a usb charger that only puts out about 900mah and it take some time but the batteries get a full charge.

I was using a cheap charger that I had set up incorrectly a while back and almost burned my SUV to the ground. I recommend going to YouTube and looking at battery/charger videos. You'll be an expert in no time 😜.
This was the aftermath of the battery explosion in my Excursion and almost cost me dearly.

Attachments

• 20200718_155441.jpg
    20200718_155441.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210303_081100.jpg
    20210303_081100.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 36
Thanks I wasn’t sure I would be getting a full charge that way so it’s nice to know I will.

I’ve been out of the Rc game for many years so pardon me if I get some of the terminology wrong. I’ve bought a haiboxing hailstorm to play with while I wait for my Tamiya ta08 pro kit to arrive. The hailstorm comes with 2 850mah lipo batteries but only a usb charger. Don’t really trust that charger so I picked up a lectron charger to use instead.
Question is the lectron when setting up total capacity moves in 100mah increments so I can set it to 800mah or 900mah but not the 850 the batteries are rated at. So where do I set it?
http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

What lectron charger did you get?

On my chargers, the capacity is there as a fail safe, so it doesn't overcharge your packs. Some also have a time limit in them. On my chargers, I have both settings maxed out because I ran various sizes of packs and going through the menus for each pack is just annoying. Since I'm sitting in the room with the chargers while they charge/discharge, I keep an eye on them anyway.

One important value you want to check is the charging amps. You likely want to stay at or below whatever your capacity is devided by 1000 (1C charge rate). So an 850mah pack shouldn't be charged at more than .85 (point 85) amps. Personally, I'd probably go to 1amp if the charger will only go in .5 amp increments... but I'd keep a close eye on them. Most packs aren't labeled with a charge rate, so the assumption is they can handle 1C charge rate. Ones that can handle more than that are typically labeled with that info.

Back