New to Lipo batteries

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerksies

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Coming back to RC after a long break. When i was last into RC Lipo's were just up and coming. Right now i have traxxas chargers and batteries. Eventually i would like to get away from all this traxxas stuff. Is there a common type of chargers and battery connectors? I have soldering Skills and have no issues modifying, but i would rather not do that.

There is no standard for connectors... what many people do is select their favorite brand of battery and then rely on the connectors that particular brand supports.

Regardless, it's a requirement for everyone in the hobby to learn how to solder, it's a lot easier than folks give credit, just go watch some YouTube tutorials and you'll do fine for the respective connector you decide to use.

My personal preference are EC5 connectors and Zeee brand of batteries, both are widely available on Amazon and have proven to be a reliable source for me. It can be difficult to get many brands of batteries that often go out of stock which can be frustrating.

Other brands of batteries to consider here:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/lipo-comparison-thread-lipo-and-nimh-aas.136829/#post-1368906

Coming back to RC after a long break. When i was last into RC Lipo's were just up and coming. Right now i have traxxas chargers and batteries. Eventually i would like to get away from all this traxxas stuff. Is there a common type of chargers and battery connectors? I have soldering Skills and have no issues modifying, but i would rather not do that.
For a budget charger, I'd go with the HOTA D6Pro. If you're not on a budget I'd get something from iCharger. Personally, ID be looking at the DX6 or DX8.

As for LiPo connectors, EC and XT seem to be two of the more popular ones these days. Personally I like genuine Deans Ultra Plugs and for really demanding scenarios Ill use EC5 or EC8 connectors.

What is the best time to read IRs? Just wondering

During charging,.after full charge, after discharge in car, after storage charge on charger, or when the battery has been sitting for a while?

Yes, it does IRs while charging.
thanks, I couldn't find it anywhere on the specs, but will add it to my list as the Ultrapower UP6 seems to be out of stock and that was a comparable budget AC/DC charger on the list
What is the best time to read IRs? Just wondering

During charging,.after full charge, after discharge in car, after storage charge on charger, or when the battery has been sitting for a while?
Immediately after a full charge is the best time to get the most optimal reading, or toward the end of the CCCV cycle as the charge rate drops below 1A.

If you let the battery sit or not at a full charge then the IR will show poor readings.

Not sure how much info you want, but a great place to start... http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/
Sticky Thread: What battery charger do you recommend?
This made life a little easier. I'm still debating on the connector, My last RC truck i had the Losi Mini LST i put a brushless system in and used a Deans Connector. Right now i have about 3 traxxas Vechicles in my future. I'd like to get away from that eventually. I'd like to over power a Latrax Teton and the only brushless systems that would work are non traxxas with non traxxas batteries

are we talking the 1/18 scale? . then a T will be fine

At the moment I think i leaning towards the EC3 connector. I think i might use Specturm Chargers and Batteries at the moment. I'm kinda lazy and like the smart aspect to charging. It looks like i can get an adapter from Traxxas esc to EC3/IC3 battery.

There is also grip to think about. Some of those connectors are hard to push together and hard to pull apart. The bigger the better to get a good grip on them.