What’s the best battery connector

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addict Rc

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello, I have a question I have some CNHL lipos and not sure what connectors are the best (this battery has a 180c burst rate so I think T-plug would melt) and a good soldering iron (budget is $50 ish)

a good soldering iron is the Miniware TS101 or TS80P series I have long had TS100 and TS80 and they are perfect for our hobby and beyond. :thumbs-up:

a good soldering iron is the Miniware TS101 or TS80P series I have long had TS100 and TS80 and they are perfect for our hobby and beyond. :thumbs-up:
For soldering 8awg? In his other thread he mentions he needs to solder 8awg wire.

The one I have now there is no way it’s going to do anything to the 8awg it did like 4awg and took forever to heat up
4awg is bigger than 8awg. Lower number=bigger wire. You mean it took forever for 10awg?

Last edited:
For connectors, I use XT60 in crawlers (and touring cars, 1/10 buggies etc) and XT90 for bigger/faster stuff (Slash 4x4, Kraton 6s etc).

I have a cheapo Yihua soldering station, paid something like 15$ off Hobbyking and it works surprisingly well. Something with temperature control is preferable. 60+ Watts so it doesn't take forever to heat up.

Any gold plated connector will do fine, I choose to use whichever connector is available from my favorite brand of battery so I don't have to redo the connectors that ship with the battery. I currently use EC5 but they are difficult to assemble and leaning toward giving XT90 a try next for my 1/8 cars on 4S.

For my 1/10 cars running shorty packs I run 5mm in line bullets to those packs

Last edited:
Soldering Irons: My grandpa and my uncle uses this Weller iron.

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-Digit...ocphy=9007913&hvtargid=pla-448477212877&psc=1

They had been using it for probably 25 plus years.

Connectors: I use Traxxas on all of my batteries but in my rustler I have a xt60 to trx adapter and in the slash I have a xt90 to trx adapter. The batteries I use have a 50C and 80C discharge rate. So far those adapters are working out good for my escs and batteries and normal bashing.

But I would recommend to have a more direct connection. I would go for either xt60s or xt90s.
Adapters I use for the slash: https://www.amazon.com/OliRC-Compat...cphy=9007913&hvtargid=pla-1899960407218&psc=1

Adapters I use for the rustler: https://www.amazon.com/OliRC-4pcs-N...ocphy=9007913&hvtargid=pla-955452808959&psc=1

But like I said earlier, I would like to have a more direct connection so I plan to solder on xt60s and xt90s on my batteries. For my SMC stick packs I'll do xt60 or 90 to 5mm bullets.

Last edited:
Soldering Irons: My grandpa and my uncle uses this Weller iron.

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-Digit...ocphy=9007913&hvtargid=pla-448477212877&psc=1

They had been using it for probably 25 plus years.

Connectors: I use Traxxas on all of my batteries but in my rustler I have a xt60 to trx adapter and in the slash I have a xt90 to trx adapter. The batteries I use have a 50C and 80C discharge rate. So far those adapters are working out good for my escs and batteries and normal bashing.

But I would recommend to have a more direct connection. I would go for either xt60s or xt90s.
Adapters I use for the slash: https://www.amazon.com/OliRC-Compat...cphy=9007913&hvtargid=pla-1899960407218&psc=1

Adapters I use for the rustler: https://www.amazon.com/OliRC-4pcs-N...ocphy=9007913&hvtargid=pla-955452808959&psc=1

But like I said earlier, I would like to have a more direct connection so I plan to solder on xt60s and xt90s on my batteries. For my SMC stick packs I'll do xt60 or 90 to 5mm bullets.
I need the actual plus there is none on the battery

Just finished doing the battery connector shuffle. . . again. Hopefully for the last time. . . again. Got lost in adapterville trying to get everything compatible.

XT-90, XT-60, IC5, IC3, Deans ad nauseum. Reset my standard to Deans. Trying the newer HI-Temp (white) connectors. And, yes, the newer whites are back-compatible with the older reds. Hurray! Got a really neat molded IC3/Deans adapter for battery to ESC. All my batteries are 2S or 3S. One 2S and 3S with IC3. The rest Deans now. And Deans are easy to solder and no pesky snap-on shields either. Shrink tubing is just o.k. with me.

Soldering station is a Hakko 936 I've had since '08. It's good for 12AWG; balks at 10AWG. Not enough heat to suit me for making a secure low-resistance connection. Back-up is a 40W Weller pencil for 16-18AWG soldering.

Got an IC5 adapter to solder on a Dean's end for use with the smart charger. IC5 lead came with 10AWG wire. Chucking it in the trash after I take off the unsat cold-soldered Deans I struggled to stick on. Have no intention of transitioning to 10ga. 12-13-14AWG meets all my needs for 2S and 3S. And all are considerably lighter and more flexible than a similar length of 10AWG.

Anyway, have fun Addict. Cheers. 'AC'

Just finished doing the battery connector shuffle. . . again. Hopefully for the last time. . . again. Got lost in adapterville trying to get everything compatible.

XT-90, XT-60, IC5, IC3, Deans ad nauseum. Reset my standard to Deans. Trying the newer HI-Temp (white) connectors. And, yes, the newer whites are back-compatible with the older reds. Hurray! Got a really neat molded IC3/Deans adapter for battery to ESC. All my batteries are 2S or 3S. One 2S and 3S with IC3. The rest Deans now. And Deans are easy to solder and no pesky snap-on shields either. Shrink tubing is just o.k. with me.

Soldering station is a Hakko 936 I've had since '08. It's good for 12AWG; balks at 10AWG. Not enough heat to suit me for making a secure low-resistance connection. Back-up is a 40W Weller pencil for 16-18AWG soldering.

Got an IC5 adapter to solder on a Dean's end for use with the smart charger. IC5 lead came with 10AWG wire. Chucking it in the trash after I take off the unsat cold-soldered Deans I struggled to stick on. Have no intention of transitioning to 10ga. 12-13-14AWG meets all my needs for 2S and 3S. And all are considerably lighter and more flexible than a similar length of 10AWG.

Anyway, have fun Addict. Cheers. 'AC'
Are xt90s okay for 6s batteries? I'm trying to figure out if they would be okay because in the future I want to get an arrma kraton 6s and I want to have a good connector besides EC5. For now, I am going to just be running 4s and 3s.

Are xt90s okay for 6s batteries? I'm trying to figure out if they would be okay because in the future I want to get an arrma kraton 6s and I want to have a good connector besides EC5. For now, I am going to just be running 4s and 3s.
I think I’m going XT60 I love how they connect, seem to be the safest one but if I do that all my lipos are getting a XT60, also question, can i solder XT60 connectors onto my traxxas dual charger? like take the traxxas plugs off? I have a single charger I’ll use for the Traxxas lipos if I even use them

Yes, XT90s are fine for 6s. Arrma used them before Horizon bought them (and Horizon uses ECs/ICs).

I think a buddy of mine used a traxxas charger for his xt90 packs, before getting a dual channel charger. You can use an adapter instead of replacing the connector. And there should be a balance port somewhere on the charger.

Hey Luke,
I'll defer to the other guys answering on this thread regarding the bigger batteries. I only run 2S and 3S so hesitate to recommend anything regarding connectors in the 4S-8S+ range. Cheers. 'AC'