New FMS 1/24 power wagon

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2FM RC has done a comparison with the deadbolt on youtube and it looks as if axial are very much in second place. The FMS trucks are out of stock in the UK just now but I think I am also looking to buy.

The video I watched I thought he said he broke a portal if I remember correctly, and no replacement parts were available yet.

The video I watched I thought he said he broke a portal if I remember correctly, and no replacement parts were available yet.
Thats true. For me the only sxc24 issues have been a burnt out motor after 1 year (easily replaced with the 050 version) and a lost brass wheel hex, pin and wheel bolt also easily replaced (hopefully loctite will prevent that happening too often). I have upgraded the servo to cope with the extra weight and larger mud slinger tires.

The FMS24 seems to have a larger motor and stronger servo as stock which could be argued are 2 of the SCX's weak points but I agree with you that the joy of the scx's is that everything is easy and relatively cheap to fix / upgrade.

First time posting here: Hi guys!

Just got my FCX24 running and I haven’t had the chance to go through a battery yet but first impressions are very favorable! The two biggest positives for me address the two things that bother me the most about my modded Deadbolt:
1. The extra speed is so welcome! Sometimes we want to cover ground faster than a turtle. Being able to do the smooth slow crawl and then rip donuts in the dirt makes this thing a much better multi-purpose vehicle.
2. The beefier threaded axle ends make it so much easier to attach the wheels reliably!

The slightly larger screw sizes will make swapping parts between platforms a little harder than I’d hoped but I’m cautiously optimistic about the upsized hardware adding durability and making it easier to work on without stripping, snapping, dropping, or losing tiny screws quite so often.

Any good wheel/ tire combos you guys have found available that fit this thing? Or spacer tricks? Stock tires are pretty mediocre and there’s minimal clearance for my SCX24 wheel and tire combos without rubbing on the portals.

My modded Deadbolt still crawls far better but I have a feeling I’ll be switching more and more of my attention to this new platform once the aftermarket comes online. Good news is Fair RC now has just about every stock part available to fix or rebuild these so it looks like they are anticipating a lot of interest and there will be support for this platform.

Attachments

• 6FB3898E-F545-4536-A782-E53A7C56C62F.jpeg
    6FB3898E-F545-4536-A782-E53A7C56C62F.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 95BCD3B7-4B22-43A8-8EA3-755AD79496DE.jpeg
    95BCD3B7-4B22-43A8-8EA3-755AD79496DE.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 0F6136A6-B912-4091-A8B8-13D31154410C.jpeg
    0F6136A6-B912-4091-A8B8-13D31154410C.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
2FM RC has done a comparison with the deadbolt on youtube and it looks as if axial are very much in second place. The FMS trucks are out of stock in the UK just now but I think I am also looking to buy.

Different scale classes. That FCX24 is NOT a 1/24 scale, more like 1/18 scale! Its like comparing apples to oranges.

I don't have the FCX24, but I do have 2 of the Atlas', and while they are good crawlers, they are not as well designed as the SCX24s. I hear a lot about issues with the stock SCX24 motors and servos, but out of 5 rigs, I've only had one motor burned out. While the stock servos are not particularly strong, they work fine. it only takes $30 to get a better aftermarket motor and servo!

SCX24s very much in first place all day long!

Different scale classes. That FCX24 is NOT a 1/24 scale, more like 1/18 scale! Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Interesting. That's got me thinking about the original vehicles:-

It looks like the 1949 dodge power wagon of the fms type had a length around 191" (4851mm). The fms model is 210mm => scale 1:23
The current ford bronco everglades length is around 199" (5054mm) The scx model is 222mm => scale 1:23
Some say Deadbolt is modelled on the IH scout 2 of the 70's which had a length of 167" (4241mm) my deadbolt is 190mm => scale 1:22?

I am no maths or car expert so very much back of an envelope calculations. Feel free to correct.

(https://texaspowerwagon.com/dimension.htm)
(https://content.wisconsinhistory.org/digital/collection/ihc/id/36950/).

Last edited:
I am no maths or car expert so very much back of an envelope calculations. Feel free to correct.
You're still up on me, in expertise, with those fancy calculations. Perhaps the FCX24s are more true to scale than the SCX24s. But my opinion still remains the same in regards to scale discrepancy when using pics from @Doom! #15 post. There's no denying those photos. Significant size difference, so, of course, a larger, tractor size tires/wheels, motor, servo would have an advantage over smaller versions in the microverse.

Interesting. That's got me thinking about the original vehicles:-

It looks like the 1949 dodge power wagon of the fms type had a length around 191" (4851mm). The fms model is 210mm => scale 1:23
The current ford bronco everglades length is around 199" (5054mm) The scx model is 222mm => scale 1:23
Some say Deadbolt is modelled on the IH scout 2 of the 70's which had a length of 167" (4241mm) my deadbolt is 190mm => scale 1:22?

(https://texaspowerwagon.com/dimension.htm)
(https://content.wisconsinhistory.org/digital/collection/ihc/id/36950/).
You are very likely correct on your calculations. The 1/25 car model kits you can buy from Revell and AMT are very close to their advertized scale size. And if you use those bodies on the SCX24, you can see they are a bit small for the chassis, but still close enough to look cool. If the Axial was indeed 1/24, it would be kinda hard to notice some of the 1/25 bodies being a bit small for them. So I have had it in the back of my mind the SCX24 was a tad bigger than 1/24 scale.

With small scale RC cars, a deviation from scale is a lot less noticeable. Some 1/10 scale RC's are off scale by ridiculous amounts. Just look at the no-prep cars. They are closer to 1/8 or even 1/7 scale than they are 1/10.

As aggressively as FMS has been pouring new models into the market, I guarantee you they are a company to keep an eye on. And their stuff looks pretty darned good for the price. But until the aftermarket really takes off on them (and it likely will), I will stick with the Axial stuff. But I already want one of everything FMS makes.

The only thing that concerns me about any up and coming RC company making small scale RC's are wheel and tire choices. When you start seeing nice wheels and tires available for them that aren't made by Fu Duck Kong, or some other unknown Chinese supplier, that is when I get interested.

Ooops and apologies . . . I feel my OCD setting in!

I wonder if it is the height of the vehicles that affects the visual apprearence of scale.

The IH scout had a height of 1676mm. My deadbolts height is 110mm (Large mud slingers but lowered suspension => scale = 1676/110 = 1:15
The '49 power wagon's height was 2082mm. The FMS's is 132mm => scale of 1:16
The Everglade bronco's ht is 1998mm. The scx model is 117mm => scale of 1:17

So none of them are to scale wrt height of the original vehicles. Of course the models must be based on original trucks with massively raised suspension - Understandable given that they are made to crawl over things that the original trucks would have had no chance of doing.

Even if we look at an original model with raised suspension (see the link below). This one had a height of 82" (2134mm) this would still give the scx24 version a scale height of 2134/110 = 1:19

More like the original deadbolt? (https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/b...80-is-killer-with-fullsize-gm-axles-under-it/)

Ooops and apologies . . . I feel my OCD setting in!

I wonder if it is the height of the vehicles that affects the visual apprearence of scale.

The IH scout had a height of 1676mm. My deadbolts height is 110mm (Large mud slingers but lowered suspension => scale = 1676/110 = 1:15
The '49 power wagon's height was 2082mm. The FMS's is 132mm => scale of 1:16
The Everglade bronco's ht is 1998mm. The scx model is 117mm => scale of 1:17

So none of them are to scale wrt height of the original vehicles. Of course the models must be based on original trucks with massively raised suspension - Understandable given that they are made to crawl over things that the original trucks would have had no chance of doing.

Even if we look at an original model with raised suspension (see the link below). This one had a height of 82" (2134mm) this would still give the scx24 version a scale height of 2134/110 = 1:19

More like the original deadbolt? (https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/b...80-is-killer-with-fullsize-gm-axles-under-it/)
Yeah, the height is probably the spec that resembles scale the least in these trucks. Accomodations would likely be made during design to stretch and pull the bodies to clear electronics, mounts, etc. I generally go by wheelbase and track width, which I would imagine most RC designers start there when designing a vehicle.

The only thing though, I would imagine the licensed bodies are more dimensionally constrained in every direction. I would imagine there is some allowed leeway with the design, but especially like the Bronco - Ford is pretty picky about putting the rights to their designs out there, so that one, if you had it, would very likely be the best SCX24 model to compare scale with. The Deadbolt is just as made up design resembling the Scout.
First time posting here: Hi guys!

Just got my FCX24 running and I haven’t had the chance to go through a battery yet but first impressions are very favorable! The two biggest positives for me address the two things that bother me the most about my modded Deadbolt:
1. The extra speed is so welcome! Sometimes we want to cover ground faster than a turtle. Being able to do the smooth slow crawl and then rip donuts in the dirt makes this thing a much better multi-purpose vehicle.
2. The beefier threaded axle ends make it so much easier to attach the wheels reliably!

The slightly larger screw sizes will make swapping parts between platforms a little harder than I’d hoped but I’m cautiously optimistic about the upsized hardware adding durability and making it easier to work on without stripping, snapping, dropping, or losing tiny screws quite so often.

Any good wheel/ tire combos you guys have found available that fit this thing? Or spacer tricks? Stock tires are pretty mediocre and there’s minimal clearance for my SCX24 wheel and tire combos without rubbing on the portals.

My modded Deadbolt still crawls far better but I have a feeling I’ll be switching more and more of my attention to this new platform once the aftermarket comes online. Good news is Fair RC now has just about every stock part available to fix or rebuild these so it looks like they are anticipating a lot of interest and there will be support for this platform.
So are the wheels interchangeable between the FMS and SCX24?

And welcome to the forum!

I had another thought. If the FMS line gets successful enough, Horizon might have their kits produced by FMS. They did that with some of their RC planes which sucked, because it gave us less choices. It was the same basic kit with a few differences in electronics and markings. I like having the competition and variety because it pushes all of the companies to innovate.

I understood your question. From @Bunnspeed post and pics, I believe he is saying the FMS will fit the SCX24, but not the other way around.
That’s what seems to be the case given my limited time playing around with these. Turns out the bigger diameter FCX24 wheels aren’t just for looks but their bigger diameter helps the inner lip clear the bulky portal axle assemblies. The 1.0 SCX24 wheels and any kind of tire bulge with beefy tires are really close to rubbing the inner lip and inner sidewall against the portals. Lower offset wheels would fit, or some simple spacer solution. Really all you’d need is a few mm’s of clearance. Beyond that, the center bore on some SCX24 wheels is too small to slip over the bigger FCX24 threaded end, although some other SCX24 wheels have a bigger center bore that would leave room for a hex nut. Those fit the FCX24 axle but no longer have room for a hex nut. Luckily the FCX24 has a generous length of threaded axle sticking out beyond the wheel enabling you to use a decent lock nut as a wheel retainer. I have no doubt we are a week or two away from better solutions coming to market but I’m impatient for whatever solution lets me run better tires on the FCX24, stat! Stock ones really hold it back.

I think it won't be long and some other companies will start to support it. I know Furitek makes compatible bits for the Atlas but don't know if they are compatible with the newer system in the FCX24. I'm sure we will start to see wheels and tires soon at the very least. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to take a closer look and try some different things.

These are the Atlas stock wheels/tires on my Deadbolt, at one time. @Doom! had mentioned that the stock FCX24 are larger.View attachment 148500
I have always liked the look of those Atlas wheels and they seem especially well-suited to truck applications, stylistically. How do they compare in width to the standard SCX24 wheel sizes? Are those Atlas tires any good?

I have always liked the look of those Atlas wheels and they seem especially well-suited to truck applications, stylistically. How do they compare in width to the standard SCX24 wheel sizes? Are those Atlas tires any good?
I've never actually measured them out, but it looks about the same. However, the inner diameter is a little over the SCX24 standard 1.0. The tires are decent, but no where as soft and tacky as RC4WD.

Back