New FMS 1/24 power wagon

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K so I’m making (slow) progress but the results are promising. Working on installing Injora SCX24 C10 hc links and aftermarket metal SCX24 axle assemblies. So far I have been able to connect it to the FCX chassis drilling out the SCX pivot balls so they can fasten to the FCX chassis. Whatever ends connect to the chassis components use the M2 screws, and the rest screw into the SCX components with the standard 1.4mm stuff.

47D55821-FB7F-43DE-A486-B233039F9469.jpeg

E16CF1CD-008F-4713-83F5-F53E24A2A8E9.jpeg

Nice to see it working out. :) Still tempted to pick up another to experiment on.
Yeah man, I got this to have a runner while I waited for parts to arrive for my broken SCX24. Now I need a third rig because I can never leave well enough alone, and both of my rigs are currently in pieces…broken and sort of in the middle of various modifications. Maybe a third crawler will stay stock. 🤷‍♂️

I try to only tear apart one in each scale at a time but it never really works out that way. At least I have enough SCX24's to play with if I have one or two down. Trying to justify another FCX24 right now but need to save a few more pennies first. Mrs. Doom has some medical bills that are going to need some attention, but hopefully I can squeeze in another FCX24 soon. I'm really enjoying this little guy. :)

So I got one of the nonportal SCX24 axle assemblies installed and confirmed my concern that the wheel rotation might be reversed, so now if I hit the gas to go forward, it goes backwards. What is the best way to change direction of the motor? Switch the polarity, or can I change direction settings with the controller somehow? The good news is it seems the Injora hc links and SCX driveshafts can be made to work on this platform.

I know you can reverse the steering with the controller, I believe you can reverse the forward backward also, but don't have my controller in front of me.

This is going to be pretty cool. Heading out of town for a few days so it’s still at least a week away from running, but the rear Injora hc SCX24 Gladiator links, SCX24 metal rear axle, and SCX24 driveshaft are done. I just have to figure out how to mount the shocks since the mounting points on the SCX axle are more inboard on the axle, so the SCX24 spec double barrel shocks will likely contact the frame rails and limit flex unless I either cut off the frame rails aft of the shock towers, or add spacers on bottom and top shock mounts, or lay the shocks down by drilling the frame ahead of the factory towers or possibly modifying SCX24 shock towers to fit the FCX frame but in a more forward location…or some combination of things. The good news is, it’s doable, and (at least so far without shocks) there’s a ton of flex. The proportions are way better with the significant wheelbase stretch and lower ride height on the nonportal rear axle, can put a front or rear tire up on a stack of 4 tires.

The front SCX24 axle might take considerably more work because in addition to the usual drilling out of SCX24 suspension link pivot balls, I also have to swap over an SCX24 servo and servo mount. It might be worth the effort because the metal SCX24 axle also has nice stiff metal steering links to replace the flaccid plastic FCX steering links and I can install an upgraded SCX24 spec Mofo servo at this time. And keeping SCX24 axles on it ensures all the current SCX24 mods will fit, while we still wait for basic bolt ons to become available for the FCX. And I’d continue to have the benefit of the lower CG of weighted metal axle assemblies and not sitting up higher on portals.

HOWEVER my replacement FCX24 axle assemblies and metal portal gears arrived yesterday. It would probably be less time consuming if instead of pushing ahead with the front axle/ servo/ links swap, to simply leave the FCX axle, servo, links in place and pull the rear SCX24 axle assembly off and install the replacement FCX24 portal axle assembly.

What would you guys do? Push on with the more radical mods for a potentially better outcome but more risk of hours of work that might run into a compatibility snag? Or go for the easy vanilla option with stock axles and steering for short term satisfaction?

44EFA054-0381-421E-AC92-00963F49A576.jpeg

71043D67-6760-49A6-A80D-0806E6D73B30.jpeg

0D4C4E9E-55A4-431B-B377-EC7549D05700.jpeg

AD087294-0579-409D-A48E-A8C966F3AA36.jpeg

Last edited:
@Bunnspeed I'm really curious to see you finish what you started, it seems to be going very well. On the other hand I understand just wanting to get it back together and play. The only solution is obvious, you need to pick up a second one. 🤣

@Bunnspeed I'm really curious to see you finish what you started, it seems to be going very well. On the other hand I understand just wanting to get it back together and play. The only solution is obvious, you need to pick up a second one. 🤣
Thank you. I’m inclined to try and push through and finish moving in this direction with the SCX axles. Still mulling over what to do about shock mounting and how to splay them out or away from the frame rails as much as possible without over stressing those adorably tiny M1.4 screws, especially the longer ones I’d need to mount the shocks further out from center mast. I might need to do more drilling to SCX24 pivot balls and mounting points to run more of the beefier FCX24 hardware at key locations.

Last edited:
So are the wheels interchangeable between the FMS and SCX24?
Late reply to this - I have tried the proline hyrax tyre/wheel that I bought for the deadbolt. yes they work (but no better traction than the stock wheels and tyres) and the tyre is just 1 mm from the portal - a bit too close for comfort. I have also looked at my mudslingers that are on cheap beadlocks but these tyres almost touch the portals so I decided not to try them. A slightly longer hex say an extra 2mm would solve that but the hexs are not compatible with the scx's or a wheel where the insert for the hex is closer to the edge of the wheel.

😍 what no condiments? 🤔 That's got some killer flex!
That’s a good idea, actually. I might lay out a bead of ketchup and mustard on top, maybe with modeling clay or something. It might be a good way to cover up the coin slot since it’s a repurposed piggy bank, lol

A few recent looks for my rig. The Weinermobile was ridiculous but not sustainable as a functional crawler. Do you guys prefer the Power Wagon or the military style body? I’m in the process of fitting the bed to it, too.

89E448B8-D8B5-4526-8793-7AEF297EE28F.jpeg

61ADE8F6-F07B-467A-A700-3929D36C1BB0.jpeg

E73EDDF2-D5CC-444E-AD7F-77CEC7070A72.jpeg

AC986E24-157E-4F1C-8B41-A371086E05C7.jpeg

I do like the military body, but it just looks too small, in scale, to the rest of the rig.
I appreciate the feedback. The proportions look better in real life, and perhaps you’ll see how it fits pretty much perfectly to scale once the bed goes on, at which point the wheelbase lands perfectly within the dimensions of the donor RC truck body and bed it came with.

I like the military body, if only because it stands out a little more, in the fact that everyone else doesn't have one. It does look a hair under scaled but not enough to bother me much. See if the bed makes a difference.

Have any of you installed the new high speed motor in your rigs? Mine just arrived.

27BCD38F-4F2C-43A2-88E5-525B53410234.jpeg

Look forward to the results although it goes fast already.