Need some help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doski415

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey how are u. I bought a Nitro car from some guy on OfferUp the car is really dirty with a lot of fuel on it and when I looked at the fuel that he gave me it's octane concentrate I wanted to know if I should just buy a new nitro motor or if this one would still be rebuildable it's a s h 18 motor do you think that I can concentrate messed up this nitro motor I got it for 70 bucks and it doesn't have a pull start or electric start what should I do can any one help

Hey how are u. I bought a Nitro car from some guy on OfferUp the car is really dirty with a lot of fuel on it and when I looked at the fuel that he gave me it's octane concentrate I wanted to know if I should just buy a new nitro motor or if this one would still be rebuildable it's a s h 18 motor do you think that I can concentrate messed up this nitro motor I got it for 70 bucks and it doesn't have a pull start or electric start what should I do can any one help
Clean out the fuel pipe and tank if possible, don’t use the fuel he gave you, get the same kind of fuel but a new bottle.

I would start by posting some pics up of the engine from all sides plus top

I agree with Greywolf above. Post up pictures of what you bought. The engine the fuel ect. So the guys and I can get a better idea of what's going on. Personally I would breakdown the complete engine. Does it have pinch and combustion? With the sound of it might want to do a complete cleaning..start fresh...👍👍

Ok i got u
20211009_141533.jpg
20211009_141533.jpg

This is the fuel
20211009_143408.jpg
20211009_143335.jpg

Attachments

• 20211009_141533.jpg
    20211009_141533.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211009_141520.jpg
    20211009_141520.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211009_141456.jpg
    20211009_141456.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211009_141443.jpg
    20211009_141443.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20211009_141427.jpg
    20211009_141427.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20211009_141407.jpg
    20211009_141407.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
That dont look like regular nitro fuel for RC use!..o_O...🤔
That looks like some kind of additive for 1.1 motorcycles!..🤔
714giAqHyfS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Yeah…. I wouldn’t trust that engine.

Ok, first thing I see wrong right off the bat is it looks like theres tape or something covering the "nitro fuel" or whatever that is instead of an actual cap which means get rid of it cuz it probably isnt good anymore. Plus looking at it closer Baker is right, thats not nitro fuel, thats an octane booster for nitro fuel. Like if you had a gallon of 20% and wanted to make it 30%. Get yourself some fresh fuel.

Before you get that far though you have a lot of work ahead of you. Since theres rust all over the kit I would download the manual for the kit or at least the exploded views and tear the entire kit down. Every nut, wahser, and screw. Repalce anything rusted, any bearings that arent silky smooth, and anything that looks damaged or worn. While you have the entire kit tore down take picstures of the nitro engine out of the rig and post em up here so we can see both sides of the case as well as the top of the head cuz eventually you're going to have to do a complete tear down of the engine too and look for rusted, broken, and/or worn out parts. depending on the condition of the internals and whether or not there are replacement parts available you may be able to use the engine or you may be looking at replacing it.

That's definitely not nitro fuel. That's a octane booster.. not made for RCs nitro engines. As it says on back I quart to 10gal.. but you can get fuel easy. Like VP fuel, bones brew, Odonnell's. And at this point I would take apart engine and clean it..
That's a SH .18 nitro engine with a roto card..and exhust box .they use then in the redcats.. I would 100% definitely break it down and clean it. Check the piston head and sleve.. and get rid of that type of exhust. It actually hurts the engines potential. I would look for a tuned exhust pipe for it.

Last edited:
I'm working on two drones when I'm done with them ill pop the motor off
But would you say this is a good type of motor worth a strip, clean and rebuild
This is my first nitro motor, i dont mind doing the work

I'm working on two drones when I'm done with them ill pop the motor off
But would you say this is a good type of motor worth a strip, clean and rebuild
This is my first nitro motor, i dont mind doing the work
Does it have compression... you really need to see what is going on with the sleeve and piston. Does it have pinch left??
I'm not 100% sure that a nitro motor can run on the octane fuel additive.. so have you seen that nitro engine running?

Last edited:
Looks like it has good bones to me - I agree, total strip down and cleaning will do it good. Get some denatured alcohol and let it soak inside the fuel tank while you are working on it, in a day or so, shake it up and do it again. Replace the fuel hoses. Soak the engine and carb in some parts cleaner. Just dig in, it'll go. I dug a couple out of the attic that looked about like that - engines froze up and a dirty mess.

Looks like it has good bones to me - I agree, total strip down and cleaning will do it good. Get some denatured alcohol and let it soak inside the fuel tank while you are working on it, in a day or so, shake it up and do it again. Replace the fuel hoses. Soak the engine and carb in some parts cleaner. Just dig in, it'll go. I dug a couple out of the attic that looked about like that - engines froze up and a dirty mess.
Denatured alcohol really interesting 🤔. I just use the nitro fuel. To clean tanks. I will have to try that. Thanks for the tip sir 👍👍

All of you are very helpful thank you, ill keep updating.

I have never seen it run, he said it has 2 gears all i see is one

Denatured alcohol really interesting 🤔. I just use the nitro fuel. To clean tanks. I will have to try that. Thanks for the tip sir 👍👍
As I figured; the Nitro Fuel has the oil mix in it which does the gumming. Best I can tell is Nitro fuel is denatured alcohol with an oil mix. Maybe I am over thinking it; but, it cleaned the fuel system really-really good.

Actually, in my after-run process - I dump the tank of any Nitro mix, wash it out with the denatured alcohol, shake it and dump it out; and fire it up for a couple quick runs, very quick because there is no oil, but it runs on it. Then I will run After Oil right away through the carb to get it lubed back up.

Last edited:
As I figured; the Nitro Fuel has the oil mix in it which does the gumming. Best I can tell is Nitro fuel is denatured alcohol with an oil mix. Maybe I am over thinking it; but, it cleaned the fuel system really-really good.
Actually, in my after-run process - I dump the tank of any Nitro mix, wash it out with the denatured alcohol, shake it and dump it out; and fire it up for a couple quick runs, very quick because there is no oil, but it runs on it. Then I will run After Oil right away through the carb to get it lubed back up.
Yeah it's not denatured alcohol it's
Nitro methane and methonal..

https://www.rccaraction.com/fast-facts-nitro-fuel/