My Nitro Sport & Nitro Rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchrodeMode

Hardcore RCTalk User
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I don't have any pictures from when I first got them, I didn't take pictures until I joined a forum and didn't do that until I had them for a while. I bought both of them used and they started out with Pro .15s, they are both powered by 2.5Rs.
I bought the Nitro Sport for $20 because it "didn't start", after swapping the =/- on the EZstart I was off and running. Drove it a couple of times and then I flipped it jumping my curb, it landed on the heat sink really hard and then wouldn't start again. Put the 2.5R in it and about 5 tanks after break in I landed a 30'-35' jump upside down shattering a motor mount and snapping a mounting tab on the engine case (drove away:D and didn't realize it until it started smoking ALOT and stripped my spur gear).
I grabbed the Nitro Rustler for $40 running with a box of spare parts, sold some of them for $20 so technically I got another $20 truck. I took my busted 2.5 up to my LHS, he had a fried 2.5 up there and let me have it. I swapped the internals from mine to the replacement, after a THOROUGH cleaning and inspection. Got it all put back together and re-broke it in, now I have about 1 1/2 gallons through it.
A guy gave me my second 2.5 just for getting some information about upgrades for his T-Maxx, so it's now in the Sport. Pretty long but here are the pics.

Here's my Nitro Sport, it's my on-road rig. HPI Monster wheels wrapped in Proline Speed Hawgs, lowered by the fuel line method.
2011-08-17172918.gif

Nitro Rustler, off-road basher. Traxxas wheels wrapped in Proline Dirt Hawgs
2011-08-17172832.gif

@ my LHS when I picked up the wheels
2011-08-10163238.gif

Side by side, I use the body on both, getting a few more next month.
2011-08-17172804.gif

Here's the 2.5R after landing 1/2 a backflip.
2011-07-23222358.gif

2011-07-23222521.gif

I put the donor back together to put in my work area.
2011-08-20172815.gif

Here's my Nitro Sport, it's my on-road rig. HPI Monster wheels wrapped in Proline Speed Hawgs, lowered by the fuel line method.

Been doin it for a while but whats the "fueline method"?

That's where you put a piece of fuel line inside the shock, between the bottom of the shock and the piston, it limits the travel of the shock.

What wheels are those on your "street" version? Those are cool looking, nice rigs though :D

Tore the Rustler down for a much needed bath, I had a little dirt in the rx. I shortened the life of that .19 a little, I guess the dirt I was in was fine enough to make it through the dual filter because I noticed some in the neck of the carb.

2012-06-05080736.gif

2012-06-05080721.gif

2012-06-05080649.gif

I figured I use a spare rx box from my XXL to protect the rx a little, it also allowed me to move my battery forward. Now I don't have to worry about cutting the power wire between the battery box and shock tower any more.

2012-06-24133807.gif

Well, I was out with the Rustler and using my XXL's rx pack...now I have a reason to throw a 2s rx pack on the XXL. I snapped the flat pack in half, I really need to get video of me running this thing.

Here's the battery now.

2012-07-01203543.gif

Last edited:
Well, I'm putting Ten-T shocks on the Rustler. I was able to get the front set for $14, so if I can get the rears at a decent enough price, I can do the conversion for less than a set of Traxxas BBs. Here are the fronts next to a stock Rustler front,

2012-10-09191612.gif

Let me know how those shocks work. I am trying to put some good suspension on my rustler. Nice rigs too.

Will do, it may be a while though. I still have to get the rears, and the auctions keep jumping up right at the end.

Well, looks like I need to get my 2.5r back from my buddy. My 3.3 is dead, running rich and it's still getting hot, won't stay running. I pulled it apart at the shop today and found my inner bearing getting sloppy and rough, it also looks like the conrod is making contact with the block. I put it back together and went out to beat the ever loving hell out of my Rustler, I did and put some smiles on a few faces as the little guy went cartwheeling @ WOT without letting off. I didn't break a thing, killed a few plugs though.....still cheaper than a normal Saturday at the shop though.

Can't keep my tires from ballooning, I've tapes them twice using Gorilla tape. Both times the tires came off of the tape, the glue and the tape separated. I don't do donuts, or anything else that should put crazy stress on the tape. Both time it started at one spot, I would get a lump at high speeds, then it worked it's way around the tire until it was all ballooning. Any ideas, I'm about to remount them without tape and let them balloon away.

2012-11-04125204.gif

Anybody have any ideas on what I could do? What tape are you guys using? I'm thinking the glue may be too thick which is allowing it to flex or move enough to peel off the tire.

Well, I killed another block today. I let my buddy drive it, WOT flipped on it's lid and snapped the tab off the side of the block. I'm going to try and put these internals into another 2.5's block, this'll be the third block that these internals are going into.

When my buddy breaks it,

2012-12-23173315.gif

When I do it,

2011-07-23222521.gif

I think it's time I get some protection, New Era roll bar.....I think so.

Last edited:
If you're going to screw it up,you might as well SCREW IT UP! :hehe:

I try my hardest :first_place:. I guess this was payback, I flew his Nano CP X right into his finger the other day.

I just got my New Era roll bar. It's not like I expected it to be, I'm sure it'll protect my engine some, just not sure if it'll protect it enough for my bashing.

2013-01-02164532.gif

2013-01-02164541.gif

Back