Best engine swap for Traxxas nitro rustler? (It’s vintage but they still make parts for it)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukedavis

Hardcore RCTalk User
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Boating
I am looking for some suggestions for an engine swap for my Traxxas nitro rustler. Any suggestions? I want it to be fast and have some torque for wheelies. Any help is appreciated!

Trx 3.3, os .18, and dynamite 19t come to mind. What's your budget?

Tighten that slipper down, get some grippy tires, add the black spacers to the shocks yo stiff them up. After that lower the clutchbell or increase the spur tooth.

What nitro % are you running?

Trx 3.3, os .18, and dynamite 19t come to mind. What's your budget?

Tighten that slipper down, get some grippy tires, add the black spacers to the shocks yo stiff them up. After that lower the clutchbell or increase the spur tooth.

What nitro % are you running?
I’m sadly running Traxxas top fuel

I’m sadly running Traxxas top fuel
That's not that bad where I live, I favor the 33%. I've had O'Donnell and it had alot of oil in it. My next choice is Bones Brew.

Is your rustler the old model with .15 engine or newer type with trx 2.5?

If 2.5, trx 3.3 is a direct drop in, if .15 you will need a conversion kit to put at 3.3 in there.

With at 3.3 Rustler is a beast, so much power for such a light chassis.

Best bang for the bug is the Dynamite .19 hands down. You could go with an OS .21 tm but that's a little overkill for that car, and a lot more expensive.

Also, FYI, while it's been around for a while, Traxxas still sells new Nitro Rustlers.

Best bang for the bug is the Dynamite .19 hands down. You could go with an OS .21 tm but that's a little overkill for that car, and a lot more expensive.

Also, FYI, while it's been around for a while, Traxxas still sells new Nitro Rustlers.
Yep. When I first got the car I immediately looked it up to see if I could get parts for it

Does the 33% make your car go faster than when it is running on 20%
?

Does the 33% make your car go faster than when it is running on 20%
?
Higher nitro percent gives it more power and runs cooler. Main reason I went 33% is the hot humid florida weather.

Higher nitro percent gives it more power and runs cooler. Main reason I went 33% is the hot humid florida weather.
Gotcha. So it will make it faster?
I also think I’m just gonna do the Traxxas power up thingy mabob to get the Trx 3.3 because the dynamite .19T doesn’t have the best reviews for durability in the long run.

Gotcha. So it will make it faster?
I also think I’m just gonna do the Traxxas power up thingy mabob to get the Trx 3.3 because the dynamite .19T doesn’t have the best reviews for durability in the long run.

In very rough terms, yes. It may not raise the top speed because the engine will have a similar max RPM. It should accelerate more powerfully.

It'll produce a bit more power assuming the tune, glow plug, and compression are all compatible with a higher nitro %%. For sport engines like the .19T or 3.3, it should be fine, but "racing" engines designed for 16% fuel might need a head shim to reduce compression slightly.

I've only heard good things about the .19T, where'd you see bad reviews? From what I've read, the 3.3 has a little bit of a reputation for breaking conrods and/or prematurely wearing out the rear bearing, though it's still a very solid engine.

Last edited:
In very rough terms, yes. It may not raise the top speed because the engine will have a similar max RPM. It should accelerate more powerfully.

It'll produce a bit more power assuming the tune, glow plug, and compression are all compatible with a higher nitro %%. For sport engines like the .19T or 3.3, it should be fine, but "racing" engines designed for 16% fuel might need a head shim to reduce compression slightly.

I've only heard good things about the .19T, where'd you see bad reviews? From what I've read, the 3.3 has a little bit of a reputation for breaking crankshafts and/or prematurely wearing out the rear bearing, though it's still a very solid engine.
do you know of an engine that will have good bottom-end torque and not bog down? I want an engine that can go maybe 60 but also be used for racing.
Will the .19t be more powerful than the 2.5 but not stupidly powerful where it throws drive shafts every time I drive?

do you know of an engine that will have good bottom-end torque and not bog down? I want an engine that can go maybe 60 but also be used for racing.
Will the .19t be more powerful than the 2.5 but not stupidly powerful where it throws drive shafts every time I drive?

The 2.5 is a .15 and the 3.3 is a .20, the .19T should be just about as powerful as the 3.3.

The most important factor affecting top speed and low-end torque is gearing. Speed-run vehicles that are hitting the top speeds achievable with their platform, be it electric or nitro, are thoroughbreds that have sacrificed multiple other handling traits in favor of a single number in a straight line. They are on the edge of overheating, don't handle as nicely as they could if set up for bashing or racing, and don't accelerate as quickly as they could - you'll notice that dragsters and speed run cars are built very differently, and both are different than track racing vehicles.

What I'm saying is, great performance in grass and doing wheelies from a standstill might require you to go with a higher gear ratio, and hitting 60mph might require you to go with slightly lower ratio, by changing the clutch bell or spur gear depending on what's available and compatible. You'll have to pick based on what kind of driving you enjoy, dialing it in to run just right is part of the fun.

You might want to get a GPS based speed logger, seeing your numbers up several mph after an upgrade can be very rewarding.

You can swap a 3.3 crank into your 2.5 to gain some power. If your 2.5 is still good, it’s an economical solution.

You can swap a 3.3 crank into your 2.5 to gain some power. If your 2.5 is still good, it’s an economical solution.

Interesting. I assume that increases the stroke, and therefore the displacement somewhat. I can't find bore and stroke numbers on the traxxas engines or I'd figure out by how much.

Just for the sake of discussion, could one swap a 2.5 crank into a 3.3 to derate it slightly?

Interesting. I assume that increases the stroke, and therefore the displacement somewhat. I can't find bore and stroke numbers on the traxxas engines or I'd figure out by how much.

Just for the sake of discussion, could one swap a 2.5 crank into a 3.3 to derate it slightly?
Stroke is the same. 3.3 crank is lighter and has a bigger gas passage

Definitely the 3.3 is the right fit. I've had one for about 2 years now and so worth the change from a stock engine. It's like a whole new monster.

What the best aftermarket carb for the 2.5 and 3.3 besides Losi 3.4 and Os 11k?

Any other one that is a direct fit?

Back