My first SCX 24

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin trj

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Hello, this is my first post (other than my introduction). So tomorrow I receive my first SCX24 jeep wrangler. I already got some upgrade parts but I am not sure what brushless motor to get or if it’s even an upgrade worth doing it, based on reviews (which might don’t mean much) I am looking at this:
https://a.co/d/iAeeBgn
In order to install it do I need to modify a lot or is it just a drop in upgrade?
I appreciate any help 🙏
Martin

To use that motor you will need a different, brushless ESC, and a radio and receiver. If you don't want to go that far, the best option I know of is the PN Racing motor from Kenon Hobby

I used one in our Carnage build, and it is an amazing little motor. Just make sure you get it with the gearset and motor mount. If you buy them as a combo, I think it's around $52. It is an easy drop-in for the most part. They do suggest you mount it motor forward by hacking up the ESC tray, which I would not recommend as it screws up the driver side shock mount and lets the shock flop around. I mounted ours backwards and moved the battery instead.
20230204_071256.jpg

Last edited:
I’m glad I asked. I almost bought it last night. So I’ll run it stock for a bit and then I’ll jump to brushless once I learn the ropes. Thanks for the info 🙏

Anytime.

If you do want to go brushless, the Furitek stuff can't be beat. They do sell combos with the ESC, motor, and transmission, but you'd still need a radio of course.

If you have multiple RC's, or plan to buy more, you can pick up the Flysky GT3B right now for a steal on Amazon at around $35 I believe. The receivers are cheap for it, and it's the best radio out there under $50.

The Flysky GT5 is fairly cheap as well and adds 4 wheel steering features, just in case you want to get one of the AX24's later on 😉

I second the Furitek systems, they are tough to beat and the setup app is simple to use.

I have a few amazon moneys so I’d love to use that. So on top of the motor and the controller do I need an ESC and if so, what would you recommend?
Thanks 🙏

Run it for a bit until you decide what you want to change. First changes I would recommend would be the Servo and rims/tires. If you start out with all the high end stuff you won't know what effects the changes you made had. Not all changes are for the better, enjoy the journey. That being said the Furitek systems are nice.

Do your homework and take your time. If you rush into stuff, you might not be making the best choice for yourself. We all like different things.

Yup, Amazon just dropped off the SCX24 along with the emax servo and the rims and tires are coming soon. I also bought the heavier brass steering knuckles and skid plate.
Thanks for your help.

Me and my luck…I got my stuff today. I opened everything and first the servo baggy was empty, I thought “ok, I’ll file a claim” which worked out great, then I connected the battery charger to the wall outlet, I plugged the battery and the charger almost caught on fire 😤. Gladly amazon gave me a 20% discount and I will buy a new charger with that refund. Is there a reliable one that will not catch on fire?
Thanks 🙏

IMG_9783.jpeg

Me and my luck…I got my stuff today. I opened everything and first the servo baggy was empty, I thought “ok, I’ll file a claim” which worked out great, then I connected the battery charger to the wall outlet, I plugged the battery and the charger almost caught on fire 😤. Gladly amazon gave me a 20% discount and I will buy a new charger with that refund. Is there a reliable one that will not catch on fire?
Thanks 🙏

View attachment 183203

Wow, I have a bunch of the cheapo chargers that come with the trucks, first time I've seen that happen. :eek:

Right?!? I do love the jeep 👍.

So I managed to snap the steering link screw, the one that goes into the steering knuckle. Any idea where to get a replacement from?
Thanks

IMG_9795.jpeg

So I managed to snap the steering link screw, the one that goes into the steering knuckle. Any idea where to get a replacement from?
Thanks

View attachment 183399
You cannot buy the factory screws anywhere. Horizon is reluctant to put those out for replacment parts. I would contact them. But you can buy the Hot Racing SCX24 screws. They are different, but will do.

You cannot buy the factory screws anywhere. Horizon is reluctant to put those out for replacment parts. I would contact them. But you can buy the Hot Racing SCX24 screws. They are different, but will do.
Thanks much 🙏. I ordered them.

So me and more of my bad luck 😂. I lost my controller…I’m screwed because now I need a replacement. I’m not switching the motor just yet so, would this remote work with the brushed motor?
https://a.co/d/7HpyKWi
Please help 🙏
Thanks
Martin

So me and more of my bad luck 😂. I lost my controller…I’m screwed because now I need a replacement. I’m not switching the motor just yet so, would this remote work with the brushed motor?
https://a.co/d/7HpyKWi
Please help 🙏
Thanks
Martin
That radio will work with anything, but you will also need an ESC.

How do you lose a transmitter? 🤔🤪

You can always grab another Axial transmitter off ebay. Or wait, you will have one of the newer radio systems. The AX4 is the old transmitter. Just search ebay for your transmitter model.

Last edited:
That radio will work with anything, but you will also need an ESC.

How do you lose a transmitter? 🤔🤪

You can always grab Axial another transmitter off ebay.
🤦🏻‍♂️I retuned another cheapo basher I bought and I mixed up the controllers 😵.
Gladly amazon refunded some moneys. Ok but if I buy an axial remote it’ll come with the receiver, right?
If I go for the one I linked, what ESC should I get?

🤦🏻‍♂️I retuned another cheapo basher I bought and I mixed up the controllers 😵.
Gladly amazon refunded some moneys. Ok but if I buy an axial remote it’ll come with the receiver, right?
If I go for the one I linked, what ESC should I get?
The Furitek Lizard Pro is probably the best on the market. A couple guys here bought the Stinger setup and love it. It comes with their Python ESC
https://furitek.com/products/furite...-system-for-scx24?_pos=1&_sid=5d8307816&_ss=r

Wait, I’m a bit lost. So the Lizard Pro is the ESC, am I linking that to the controller?

Wait, I’m a bit lost. So the Lizard Pro is the ESC, am I linking that to the controller?
A typical electric RC car has a radio, receiver, ESC, motor, battery, and servo. The "controller" has nothing to do with the ESC and motor, other than it controls the ESC just like it does the servo. It is a completely separate system. The "controller" you are referring to is the Radio system or part of an RC, consisting of the transmitter and receiver (typically abbreviated Tx and Rx in the RC world).
rcelectricparts-com-defiant-esc-series-wiring-diagram_orig.png

Your current setup has the radio's receiver and ESC built into one unit. That is why if you replace your ESC, you will also need to replace your radio.
Untitled124_20240313015334.png

Last edited:
Back