WPL: My Honest Experience

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panko75

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
TLDR: Follow @WickedFog s advice, buy an Axial and don't look back.

I'm writing this to hopefully counter all of the youtube, "influencer" junk out there. Man do I miss the times when people could think for themselves.

I've owned 4 WPLs so far, three of which I no longer have around:

1. C24 (or C14? Same thing), broke 5 minutes into day one driving in my yard. Dropped the body onto a toy grade RadioShack tracked RC to make a poor man's "Tyco Turbo Traxx", the RadioShack was significantly more robust. Binned the rest of it, not worth my time/money.

2. D12, Broke the chassis running around on my street (cab fell off and cracked the block where the suspension pivots), rear battery latch and hatch broke, transmission cracked a gear running on asphalt. Most of this I patched up with glue. Eventually it was binned in poor shape, but I salvaged the body and metal driveshaft.

3. D12-2, Worked okay until the "upgraded" metal rear axle would simply never not bind, and the driveshaft would pop loose since it was made very out of tolerance. I eventually just got fed up and binned it. Should have left it stock.

4. C74, Mirrors fell out on first run (should have glued them), otherwise it's held up to a lot of use. Just aftermarket metal driveshafts and wheel weights in the nose. It will stay that way until anything else goes wrong.

Fun "toys" and probably better than anything from the toy aisle...well, ridiculously flimsy D12 chassis aside. Not something I'd funnel money into with upgrades and the aftermarket being poor quality.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I've wanted one of these wpl so I could recreate my trail finder 2.
if you can get one for $30, it'd make for a good shelf-queen.

The newer C models have some improvements, but I don't think they've trickled down to the C14/C24 line-up.

The C24 got me back into the rc hobby a few years ago. I've ran pretty hard, through water and everything and it's still running with all original parts. I would say while it's not hobby grade, it is above toy grade.
1121201335a.jpg
1129201607_Burst01.jpg
1121201334b.jpg