Motor upgrade question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erbejeff388

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question regarding motor and esc upgrades. I have a 2wd slash that I would like to put a 4s system in and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an affordable motor and esc combo. The other upgrade I would like to try to find is an 8s motor and esc combo that would fit in my erevo 2.0 with little to no modifications.

If your kit doesn't weigh more than 6.5 lbs then Id go something like the Castle Creations Mamba X SCT 1/10 Brushless Combo w/1415 Sensored Motor (2400kV).

As for an 8S system for an EREVO Id probably go with the Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 8S ESC/Motor Combo w/1520 Sensored Motor (1650Kv).

Having said that I would just advise some caution cuz those systems are technically overpowered for both of those kits. You could easily destroy the driveline in those kits with that kind of power depending on your gearing.

If your kit doesn't weigh more than 6.5 lbs then Id go something like the Castle Creations Mamba X SCT 1/10 Brushless Combo w/1415 Sensored Motor (2400kV).

As for an 8S system for an EREVO Id probably go with the Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 8S ESC/Motor Combo w/1520 Sensored Motor (1650Kv).

Having said that I would just advise some caution cuz those systems are technically overpowered for both of those kits. You could easily destroy the driveline in those kits with that kind of power depending on your gearing.
The revo has very limited space for a larger (longer) motor. I know the motor plate has holes in it to raise the motor, but I don't know how effective that is or what "larger" means as they don't specify and I haven't found much info on it. I'd put a larger motor in mine if I could fit one. As it is, I run a 4074 blx2050kv and max6 in it and you can see where the rear shock mount has hit the motor a time or two even with a 3-4mm gap.

I just put a 4092 in my outcast with a max6 and wish I could put something like that in my revo to run it faster but cooler.

Castle just came out with the Copperhead system, which can take 4s and is a lot cheaper than the Mamba X:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...d-combo-w-1412-3200kv-cse010-0168-00/p1308930
Thats awesome! I've been outta the game for a few years so I wasn't aware they made this. Thanks for the info!
The revo has very limited space for a larger (longer) motor.
I did not realize that. The CC1520 definitely wont work then cuz its 14mm longer than your motor. :(
Honestly though 1/8 scale MTs are already pretty crazy on 6S. I can't imagine putting an 8S system in one :)

Thanks for the input guys.I really appreciate it. If I do upgrade I fully plan on making sure that the rest of the driveline is capable of handling it. Keep the suggestions coming. I'm actually going to turn my slash into the equivalent of an arrma limitless. I have a friend that is in the process of designing and making a custom body for itthat will reduce drag and increase downforce. He is also going to make some one off wheels for me so I can use a slightly bigger street tire.

In essence, I guess you can say that I'm heading towards building one of the fastest slashes around. I told my friend that I would like to have the body be able to be recognized as slash esque

a 4 cell system is not friendly on a 2wd slash .3 is also very bad.. ..but what do I know.lol

Back