MIP CVD problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
OK so I got my CVD's yesterday in the mail. I started to assemble them and discovered that the setscrews that go in the coupling are too long.

asdfwre_by_Cupooterluvr.jpg

Would it be ok if I cut it down to size with a dremel? I think they just gave me the wrong screw or something (although I may be doing it wrong ¬_¬)

Those are the shortest screws in the set.

I'd cut them. Make sure you cut the non-open end so you don't loose any of the "nut" portion for your wrench.

You will want to put a mild tapered point on the end of them so they dig into the pin a little bit when you cinch them down.

They are going to be a pain though... may be easiest to actually put them on a wrench, put the wrench in a dremel, then hold a grinding stone against it as it spins. Definitely easier for putting a bit of a point on them.

It sucks when you get the wrong stuff with something new... I've been there. My NewEra BB leaner kit for the revo came with a flywheel nut that had almost no "nut" to it. I had to use vice grips to tighten it down. Wasn't any fun getting it off either when I bought a replacement nut.

BTW, good pic! Most people think a "close up" that's blurry is better than a pic further away... I'll never understand those people...

Last edited:
That's rare, getting the wrong size. Take it apart and make sure you've done it correctly. There might be a flat spot or an indent that the grub need to seat on to go down all the way.

Hmm.. I don't recall if there is a flat spot on the pin or not.. But, if there is and the grub screw is not seated on it, that would explain why it is sticking out so far.

If there is no flat spot or indent, there's nothing to positively lock that pin in place to keep it from sliding out. I think he missed the spot, but I'm just guessing at the obvious.

BTW, good pic! Most people think a "close up" that's blurry is better than a pic further away... I'll never understand those people...

That's one thing my camera is good at. It takes awesome close-ups, and they're almost poster-size at the highest setting.

I'll wait until tomorrow to cut it just in case MIP sent the wrong screw set and they want the old ones back if they send me new ones. I think they did because on the paper that came with it there are 10 screws in total and I count only nine screws in the set.

Rolex, I checked and double-checked the pin. There is no flat spot.

Interesting.
You might also try a local Hardware store for the right size.
I had a problem with a MIP part once, a living human lady answered the phone, told me to send it in, and they sent me a new one. You shouldn't have any problem with their customer support.

Sweet. Thanks, Rolex! I love companies that don't put you through 3 hours on hold to speak to a machine. Traxxas was very easy to get help with, hopefully so will MIP.

So when you got new parts, you sent the entire set in or just the screws? And how long did it take? (I HATE waiting... ¬_¬)

I guess it would depend on the part or availability. I'd guess they'd just send you out the right ones immediately, without you sending in yours.

Cool. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get in touch a with them and I'll be ripping up the streets within a week! :D

If there isn't a flat spot on the pin, you can gently grind one with a dremel. Although, as long as that screw is, you would have to grind halfway through the pin to get the screw head flush, which would be far to much material taken out of the pin. You just want a little divot in the pin to key to the grub screw to keep it from moving out on you.

just thinking outloud here, did you put the grub screw in the right side? i know on my mlst MIP cvd's the coupling had some threading on the one side that wouldnt let me set the screw all the way down. by dumb luck i tried the other side and it went flush...

again, just thinking out loud here.

once u get it all set, dont forget to use a dab of blue locktight and some heat shrink wrap secure the pin.

Only one side has threading in it.

:D

I called MIP and I talked to a man who understood exactly what my problem was. He took my name and address and the screws should be on their way :D

MIP customer service is by far the best I've ever experienced. Today I received the screws I needed in the mail and they are the exact ones I needed. :thumbsup:

Tomorrow through next week I'll work on breaking in the 3.3 so I can tune it for me and Matt's bashing session. I'll be bringing the Picco too.

mip_cvds_by_Cupooterluvr.jpg

Last edited:
Back