Hex Driver Nirvana

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyUs

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I found true hex driver nirvana a few years back, and didn't even know it!

I got the metric MIP Speed Tips a couple of years ago, and Malco Connext1 Quick Change Standard Nut Driver Handle for a new kit build. I thought to myself... so this is what everyone is raving about. I should have jumped on the MIP bandwagon years ago. Well, I just assumed MIP handles were the same size of the Malco handle that I've been using... NOT! When the wife got me the metric MIP hex wrench set for Christmas, and I plopped those suckers in my hand... I have to say, I was disappointed to find out those highly acclaimed amber handles were not what I expected. :( 🤔

I loved the Malco Connext1 Quick Change Standard Nut Driver Handle so much, I had to get a few more for the larger speed tip hex sizes I use the most (2mm, 2.5mm, and 3mm). Budging 4mm screws loose with a "full size" Malco handle is just pure RC wrenching enjoyment!:thumbs-up:;):cool:
IMG_20230205_080039119.jpg

Sure, I paid quite a bit more going the direction I went, but for comfort and ease of RC wrenching... so well worth it to me. And yes, I use a power screwdriver at times to speed things up during a fresh kit build, but being able to "feel things" with hands is best for me... if you know what I mean. :D:cool:

They sure look nice. And I feel you on the touch. I'm one of the big touchy feely giants walking around. 🤪😆😁

I wonder if you guys know why the handles are shaped like that 😉

I am a fan of the Wera handles myself. I used these at work, and since a hex wrench was in my hand quite often every day, comfort really mattered. These things are super comfy...
Screenshot_20230205-130412_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I wonder if you guys know why the handles are shaped like that 😉

Shaped like what? Like a lot of screwdriver handles with grooves in them? Better grip and to keep from rolling off tables would be my guess. The grooves allow that light touch when using your finger tips to snug things down.

When I went shopping for a 1/4" quick change chuck handle, I solely went for what closely resembled MIP/Craftsman clear/transparent type plastic handles. The Malco got great reviews, and the clear acetate just jumped out at me.

The handles are shaped like that so a 12 point wrench or socket will fit on them. That is, if they are like the old Stanley screwdrivers.

Back