MGT thoughts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comp75

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am looking for an MT. I am considering all but mainly looking at the mgt and the revo. It will be raced and bashed. I give no mercy when it comes to bashing. I think the mgt would hold up better but may not race as well as the revo. What needs to be upgraded on the MGT for beating the crap out of it?
Thanks. Opinions are welcome. The main reason I like the MGT is I have geard really good things about it and it is a godd bit cheaper than the revo. More money for the hop ups it may need.

toughest truck i know of is the savage but I've heard it isnt much of a racer.. i guess if everyone else breaks you could win huh??? just hit um and break um lol, revos are nice i like the suspension layout.. there should be a revo at my weekly bashfest sunday ill let you know then..

My friend has a revo that he races and bashes but he is a very gentle basher. I like the revo as a race machine but not sure it would handle one of my no mercy bashings. I ruled out the savage mainly becuase of the difficulty towards working on them.

I have a savage and a revo. The revo is new, but i have raced it once. If you dont know how to tune very well, you do not want this vehicle!!!!
Revo:
very quick
Turns too quickly is a small problem for me/very sensative
Stock, will kill any other monster on a track do to its weight to ratio
Can take some pretty nasty crashes at the track, but not sure what happens when ur bashin it
Dislikes:
not very stable
Even with the stiffest springs and shock oil, the suspension is still way to soft
I took it out to the desert and within half a tank of going down a straight away one of the steering servos gave out
Radio is extremely cheasy
A pain in the butt to get a stable tune, runs hotttt

Savage:
Very stable with some 40 series bow ties for race
Suspension is awsome for bashing
Motor stock has tons of toque, but after about a coupla gallons it starts to slow down
The motor holds a great tune, i dont even mess with it anymore, i just go weekend after weekend with the same settings

To prove that a savage is a somewhat good racing truck is that i took it completely stock(tires and all), and took 2nd place.Not to mention i never had to make any pit stops. I gave my revo to my dad and i race my savage
Dislikes:
Slow top speed for track
kind of a wide turning radius compared to a revo, but a cam type servo saver will help that
Brakes fade in the first 5 minutes of a race
Motor leans out after the tank gets below half way, small tank problem, no biggy tho
People dont like to see a savage pass them on a track,lol

MGT; I dont have one, but ill say what I've heard:
For a .21 motor, some good power i hear
doesn't take much to make it a racer

Dislikes: I havent really hurd any

Good luck!!

Do the MGT. It is the best compromise between racing and bashing. Just racing I would go Revo,just bashing I would do a Savage. The MGT is a decent racer. A "kid" at my local track cleans up in the MT class with a MGT and that is going against a couple Revos,T-maxxes,a LST,and a SUT. I would say a LST,but I have heard + and - on them not to mention the $$$.You can race a Savage,but your right they can be a pain to work on.

ur gonna love it for sure...I've seen one in my track did 2nd on a-main with stock engine not sure if its ported but he almost beat that dominator with an os-21vsbx (whatever are those letters on os engine)
mine handles good and its basically stock ..all i can say is its durable as my savage

Great to hear. I will post up my issues I had when I had mine and what I did to strengthen the truck. I bashed mine. I had no aluminum arms or bling crap like that. I did however used a RC Solutions cage. Best investment.

RPM arms for sure, and a cage is very nice also to answer your question about what upgrades i would need, a full set of upper and lower arms are around $30. With that alone you can deffinately bash your heart out!! Speaking from exp.!!

jon2 said:
Great to hear. I will post up my issues I had when I had mine and what I did to strengthen the truck. I bashed mine. I had no aluminum arms or bling crap like that. I did however used a RC Solutions cage. Best investment.
to this also change to disc brakes and rid your self of the bumper extensions/. THey do more harm then good.

what kindof harm do the bumper extensions cause??

TacRacing said:
what kindof harm do the bumper extensions cause??
Well if you get into a cart wheel or land wrong the extensions either break off or they dig in and cause damage to the bumper as well. I ran mine with out em. More of a cosmetic look then useful IME.

i think you should get a savage. but the revo i hear is a good MT, i havent driven one though. i dont like the weird shocks the revo has. and the MGT i havent driven either. but the savage i have driven and it is awsome. they are all good trucks for bashing and racing. it is just really your decesion. no matter what you get you will have a good MT.

mark

Back