Maybe I'm being paranoid

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien13

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I recently posted the sale of my 78 Honda Hawk CB400 on craigslist. Today I got an email on it from somebody stating he wanted to buy it, and he left his number. I called him, and he spoke in broken english. He kept asking if it was a cb750, and if I would sell just the carb. I told him at least two to three times that it was a cb400, and that I am only willing to sell the whole bike. So finally, it seemed as if he was willing to buy the bike, and asked if he could come see it. (the bike is torn down, I'm selling it as a project/parts bike)

So he finally shows up, with a friend, in a car. I think it was a Tercel. His friend stayed in the car, while he came to the shed with me. I uncovered the bike, he said it was f'in junk, and proceeded to pick up the carb and examine it. He kept asking to buy just the carb, even offered me his in trade, which was pretty odd, why would I want to sell a junk carb with the bike?

He held it for a while, the whole time I insisted that the parts themselves were not for sale, and he kept telling me that it was too small anyway. Finally he left, walking back to his car very slowly, and driving away slowly afterwards.

I didn't get his license plate, but I think the car was a green Toyota Tercel. I have two phone numbers for him and his email address, so I guess if anything happens, I at least have something to offer to the police.

When I get a bad feeling, people around me worry. I have a bad feeling this time, and I can't shake it.

man forget meeting people at your house. Thats crazy. I always meet up at a gas station or some other public place. Never at my house.

Kind of hard to sell a motorcycle at a gas station when it's in pieces.

box that shizzle up, throw it in the back of the truck, something

yea i never meet people at my house cuz there are some weird a$$ people out there..that sounds odd for sure not to get your worried..I learned not to meet people at my house.. I had one guy that did the same thing to me with some parts for my rc cars and he ended up coming buy that night and i saw him.. and then i have had another guy come buy and he stole some parts that i had laying around and i didnt even see him do.. after he left i realized that he took stuff..I understand how you are feeling i would be on the watch out for a few days for sure

Make sure you at least bring the carb in the house, since thats all he wanted anyway.

that would be the one piece i left out in the open! Put a little spotlight on it. If thats what he wants and he intends to come back, i would have it ready for him so he doesn't stick around

I don't have a truck.

And I'd rather he break into the shed where there's nothing valuable than have it not be in the shed, and have him break into the house looking for it.

Go with savage fvrs idea but modify it. Take an extension cord, cut the end off, and hook it to two points on the carb that are insulated from each other. hose down the grass around the shed, plug the cord in, and wait :D

Craigslist is full of weird people. I've been freaked out a few times myself.

This is the first experience I've had that felt out of place. Woke up this morning, and the shed doors were still intact, neighbors are always watching my house, and I sleep with a Savage 7mm rifle within arms reach, so I should be good.

Yea i have to agree i've meet some weird people out there over craigslist. flat out weirdos..... that being said i'll never have someone come over my house, and i'll never again go to someone's house.....

I think if it were me' i would of sold him the carb fro the price of the whole bike, got your asking price, and take the bike to the metal recyclers.

man forget meeting people at your house. Thats crazy. I always meet up at a gas station or some other public place. Never at my house.

Is that why we always meet up at a gas station or fast food joint?

Only chip knows it. I moved

I'll bet he didn't even want the carb. He answers ads just to get inside garages or sheds to case the place.

When I got my downpipe,Uppipe,Short Shift & 3" catback exhaust for my subaru the guy came to deliver them and for about a week after I saw him cruise by real casual like, all in the daytime then the last one was around 3am so yeah anything can happen wether its suspicious or not.

When I got my downpipe,Uppipe,Short Shift & 3" catback exhaust for my subaru the guy came to deliver them and for about a week after I saw him cruise by real casual like, all in the daytime then the last one was around 3am so yeah anything can happen wether its suspicious or not.

Anonymous place and a CCW w/ cure that ya know.

and I sleep with a Savage 7mm rifle within arms reach
can't say I blame ya on this note. I live 6 miles in on dirt. So keeping a firearm within reach really isn't a bad idea. Put the cross-hairs on em'. See what they think of that.;)

Back