New Deans Connector Being Released In 1 Week!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So this thread is about more than just the new Deans connector coming out in about a week but I'll touch on that later.

The whole conversation about which connectors to use on big 1/5 scale stuff got me wondering what I was going to do in the event that Deans werent up the the task. I fired up my Google-Fu and started trying to see if anyone had tried using Deans on these big rigs and whether they had success or not. I couldnt really find anything out there so i decided to call Deans and ask them some questions about their connectors and whether theyre up to the task or not. Heres some items in no particular order that I was told and some of it is perfectly logical. Id like to point out that the guy I was talking to on the phone wasn't just some phone jockey. I'm not sure exactly who he is but he knew everything there was to know about Deans and then some. Hes also be racing RCs since the early 80s so I'm pretty sure he knew what he was talking about.

First thing I found out was that Deans doesn't list on their website or even tell their customers what the max amperage rating is on Deans for liability reasons. Ok, I guess that makes sense. He did tell me though that REAL Deans connectors can handle more amperage than XT90 and EC5 and several other various similar connectors that theyve tested. Although he did say that the XT90 came in a close second in terms of performance compared to Deans. He also said that they had just 2 days ago put a continuous 75A current through one and it held up with no sweat. Everyone on the internet claims that Deans are only good for either 45A or 60A depending on who you talk to but he said that simply isnt true. He also said that generic Deans are garbage and that no one should use them. Now that may sound like a marketing gimmick but I dont think so for the simple reason that he stated that a company buying in bulk can buy the knock off Deans cheaper than Deans can buy the gold plating alone that they use to plate their connectors. That makes sense as to why theres a big price difference. Are theyre connectors out there that out perform Deans? Sure, but Deans says they are mostly unnecessary for RC/LiPo use.

Ok, now that you're done reeling from that statement like me explain why. I had the same reaction at first until the guy from Deans told me this. He said unless you are using something bigger than 12AWG wire then you dont need anything bigger than a Deans. The blades inside the Deans connectors actually have less resistance than the same length of 12AWG wire. So theoretically if your amperage draw is to high for the Deans then its also to high for the 12AWG wire thats coming out of your lipo. 🤯🤯🤯 That being said, yall know me, I aint just gonna take his word for it. I'm gonna test out the Deans connectors on the 8S Kraton and see what happens. I'm gonna start with knock off Deans and see what happens and then I'm gonna try legit Deans and see what happens. If all else fails then I guess I'm switching connectors lol

Ok so on to the "NEW" Deans that are coming out. Still same basic mold for the connector but the plastic material is different. Its black for starters but its not just a color change its a new type of material that can withstand 40F higher temps before melting to help newer people just learning to solder. Also the blades are a bit different too. He wouldnt tell me exactly how but theyre using new coatings etc for even better conductivity. The plug itself is still the same size and shape for now. He did tell me that they did have plans to add ridges to the Deans like you see on some of the knock offs which is good because I use a lot of those type and they are much easier to pull apart. That change he said wont be on the new plug right away and not for at least a few months or more. Also he told me that they have plans to eventually release even newer connectors eventually. I got the impression theyre going to be bigger but that is a total assumption on my part as he didnt give out any details at all about future releases past this next one in a week or so.

At any rate, I'm hoping to get a maiden run in on the Kraton 8S tonight before it gets dark. I just had 2 new 4S LiPos delivered today that have EC5 connectors on them which are compatible with the IC5 connectors, I just had to rig up a not so safe set of charging leads with 5mm bullets on the ends but thats only very temporary. I have some EC5 and XT90 connectors coming in soon but I just can't wait to see how stupid this monstrosity is ;)

I hope yall found this as interesting as I did. :)

P.S. I almost forgot. One tip the Deans guy gave me was to use SN62 Solder for your connectors, whichever ones you use. He said that it contains 2% silver which helps with conductivity and it still has plenty of lead in it so it flows quickly. He said your second best bet is 63/37 Solder which is what I already use :)

Last edited:
Never had a issue with Deans shoot I have a bag of male and female around here somewhere. They are small to deal with but always worked for me.

Never cared for Deans myself, but that's why there are other choices. Ergonomically I think they are behind the times, maybe the new ones will be an improvement.

I mean dont get me wrong guys the XT90s and the EC5s are still great connectors even if what Deans told me is technically true. If you're already using them then just keep using them. I guess I was mostly posting this to hopefully let Deans users (like myself) know that they could be just as up to the task as some of the more commonly used connectors today. Well that and I felt like I was given leaked info and just had to tell everyone lol

Never cared for Deans myself, but that's why there are other choices. Ergonomically I think they are behind the times, maybe the new ones will be an improvement.
I agree and like to see a new design. But I kinda like my little cute Deans.

Something else I forgot to add is that in terms of trying to get them apart he said the company has experimented around with various compounds to try and "lube" the connector so it separates just a little easier. He said that the only thing they found that did help that didnt also attract dirt was oil from the side of your nose or your face in general but he said your nose is generally a little more oily than the rest of your skin so thats the easiest place to get the oil from. He said it will lube it just enough to help it separate slightly easier and because its such a thin coating of oil only on the prong that dirt couldnt get in there and stick to it.

He also shared a way to use your fingers to "roll" the connectors apart but I'm not sure I can explain that in text. If anyone really wants to know PM me and Ill see if I can make a quick video.

I agree and like to see a new design. But I kinda like my little cute Deans.
I'm heavily invested in Deans so I dont really want to have to change lol. I think the generic ones with the ridges pull apart much easier but he didnt say when they were adding the ridges to the connectors just that it was at least a few months down the road. He was extremely vague about timeline stuff except about the connector coming out in a week.

In some tight spaces small Deans to help to hide, tuck ect. Might not be a lot but it’s helped me

Attachments

• 87E81B9B-D98D-4B7D-8D2C-323CF1356D8A.jpeg
    87E81B9B-D98D-4B7D-8D2C-323CF1356D8A.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 126
I should mention that I don't hate Dean's, they are not my favorite, but I don't mind them enough not to use them. ( my rock crawler uses them) And I see no reason to unsolder them just because they aren't my favorites.

I’ll use them any day just who solders them better be me

I’m thinking building better or stronger Insulation I had few try to burn up on me my that was my stupidity

I’m thinking building better or stronger Insulation I had few try to burn up on me my that was my stupidity
Yeah, when I first started using them I was also just learning how to solder and I probably screwed up 5 out of the first 10 but once you know how to solder correctly it isnt an issue anymore. I love Deans but I'm only married to them cuz I dont want to spend hours changing all my connectors and after the conversation I had with Deans now I'm hopeful that I dont have to although it sounds like I may need to use some real Deans on high powered stuff like the K8ton 8S :)

On a different note, I found out the guy I talked to at Deans was Robin Deans the owner of Deans and he texted me a pic and a video about how to best separate the deans connectors. Super nice guy btw, I was surprised that the owner talked to me (a virtual nobody) at length about his product and even texted me. Make me like their company even more.

Anyway the premise of what he is showing here is how to use your thumb and finger tips to push off of each other and while pushing your finger tips off of each other for leverage you "roll" the connector apart.

IMG_2575.jpg

Heres an update to the new Deans release...(Yall would think I'm on this mans marketing payroll lol) Below are some pics of the new connectors that Robin sent me. They come in black or white, and the plastic they are made of can withstand higher temps than the original to help making them learn to solder easier. :)

Here some pics of the new plugs being released. He's a little behind his original timeline I guess but better late than never :)
645057612.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg
IMG_2781.jpg

Back