Low Priced Engines VS High Priced Engines

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the Wasp or Picco .26 engines. Great engine for the money. I myself think the Hyper .21 8 Port Turbo engine is a powerfull engine for the money. I pulled the piston and sleeve out of the engine the other day and was really impressed with the port work and streamlining of the conrod. The pullstart is weak, but get the non pulstart and no problem there. It's difinately not a high end engine, but it's no baragin basement either. I think it's a good middle of the road powerplant.

Gil, the Sirio 27 is overkill, hands down. On pavement, in a buggy, with a 13t CB, it was redlined in about 20 feet. On dirt, it was almost instantaneous. In a MT, it might take a tad longer, but I'd still rate it above the picco 26 in both power and rpm.

OS makes quality mills, period. I've run alot of their airplane engines and all of them were solid and reliable. OS is definately not in the K-Mart category.

Also, I may have been knocking the Hyper 8 port, but I shouldn't have. I had one and it was a hell of an engine. I'd tend to say that the Hyper 8 port and the Picco 26 are middle of the spectrum, but at bargain pricing. The thing I didn't like were the bloated specs. The Picco 26 is rated at what, 37K rpm. All I could get out of it was 30K. Good power, but the R's were lacking. And judging from the sound, the hyper was probably winding out a tad higher than the Picco, but nowhere near what the specs say it does. The Sirios that I have seen and run do sound like they're hitting 40K, and that's with the standard head.

As far as a K-Mart mill, take a look at the Hot Bodies 21 that comes with the Lightning RTR. It's the same engine as an HPI 21BB, but without any printing on the top fin, and the case looks a tad cheesier than the 21BB. I was so unimpressed with it, I immediately pulled the mill and dropped my Hyper in it. Never even fired up the HB mill.

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
The first one yields more right?

Thats the one I had in mind believe it or not.
Chris take this with a grain of salt but literally that thing has too much power for a buggy. It's way past the edge of out of control. In respects to buggies, I liked Error's 21 better on a buggy. I think mine might have to do a little mods to control the power. I fully believe when they rated this at 3.1hp they were not lying!

Originally posted by GilBeQuick
How do the power curves of those 2 engines compare? Does one have more low-end than the other? Top-end? Is the Monster XL worth the extra $70, or do you need a football feild to use those kinds of speeds and it's just overkill?
Absolute overkill! Yes you need a football field to allow her to stretch her legs.

Very true. Nearly uncontrolable. the 27 would be better suited for a MT.

I'm so happy to hear that I am not the only one enjoying all of the new found power from the 27. I was getting the impression that everyone in this forum was thinking that the Picco made the better engines and all along I've been saying that my Picco 26 had a little more grunt off of the line and that the Sirio 27 walked away on the straights (under statement). With the weather clearing in sunny California I'm going to break out the rc's again and have some more fun... By the way the wheel on my ofna starter box hasn't been the same after starting the break-in on my 27pro.

so ... can we get a comparo between the rbc5 and the sirio .27? i was slated for all out power with the rb c5 but this sirio .27 has caught my eye...

I recently bought a lower priced omega 21. It's rated at 2.4hp (or 2.5, can't remember). But, comparing it to the OS 21 RG, it's definatly stronger. Winds out higher and has more power through the RPM's than the OS. Don't get me wrong, the OS was a good mill, but if this omega takes me to 5 gallons or more, next time, I'm buying 2.

Originally posted by Razor
so ... can we get a comparo between the rbc5 and the sirio .27? i was slated for all out power with the rb c5 but this sirio .27 has caught my eye...

Does anyone own both of them???

Kind of funny, comparing real world experience here, not just having a pissin match over specs. Specs lie, period, though OS is pretty good about their claims.

Originally posted by El Pirata
Error, predicted this would be in the FFA fast but I told him otherwise... Either way, one of us is going to be wrong, sorry Error...

Previous to this spending spree I went on, I had never really seen the difference between a K-Mart grade mill and a Ferrari grade mill. After this weekend's bash with Error we have seen the light.

Error just got a new Sirio Kanai edition engine and I just got my new Sirio Monster 27's. From the gitgo, there was a difference. Looking at the 3 lines of break in you knew that these engines was not for novices. There were no stock settings for any of the needles, least not mentioned in the manual, which was 4 small pages long. You really got the feeling of having something special in your hands vs something just mass produced to sell to the quickest buyer.

Finding the tightness of the piston in the cylinder to be tighter than any other engine either of us had seen was something new. On Error's new mill the first try on the bump starter resulted in the crank getting stuck at top dead center because it was so tight. After this all 3 were able to run fine.

From the first tank of fuel you did notice the difference too. Each of these beauties really had a nice manner to them. Tuning was a dream. I have never seen an engine that was so easy to tune, neither had Error.

As far as engine temps go in the mid 50s at full power runs that temp barely got above 200. In the heat of the day with temps in the upper 70s the temps barely reached 250.

I was going to say more but I forgot where I was going here. Flame on there buddies. Defend your K-Mart mills if you dare.

I have been saying this forever but people just took it liek I was bragging or trying to show off or something, but truth has it you get what you pay for in an engine, and Europe takes the cake pie and icecream when it comes to quality and power.

Originally posted by FastEddy
Just like any industry, you get what you pay for. I have always believed this, thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.

However,
Not everyone can afford to pay the price for a high end mill. As we all know the price of a mill can exceed the price of an entire RC setup it will go into.

There are several companies like OS that offer the hobbyist (as compared to the fanatic) a great mill for a great price. They also offer different levels of power in the same size groups without sacrificing quality for money.

For many users a high end mill would be great to have but would also be a waste of resources. A high end mill would be the last upgrade for someone coming up in the hobby to get. There first money would be better spent on a new radio, batteries, chargers, temp gun, tools, and beefing up their rides.

With all that said, If your set with all the best equipment and are proficient in driving, a high end mill is the obvious next step. There isn't anything better than knowing your at 1/3 rd throttle on the track and have plenty leftover with no possibility of ever needing the top 30% of the power it has to offer.

-Ed

Awesome points. For just the reduction in tunning headaches and overall usage it is worth the money imo. I think a lot of people get turned off by the hobby when they get a cheap engine and can never get a decent tune *cough 2.5 TRX cough*. For me the power is a bonus but the best part about a high grade engine is the ease of tune and reliability.

Re: Re: Low Priced Engines VS High Priced Engines

Originally posted by HumboldtBlazer

I have been saying this forever but people just took it liek I was bragging or trying to show off or something, but truth has it you get what you pay for in an engine, and Europe takes the cake pie and icecream when it comes to quality and power.
Atta boy. Feel better. I never knew why anyone would spend $400 on an engine but boy do I now. You mentioned tuning, I would not call it that. Ofna, yeah it's tuning and a little black magic to get the ting to work. Sirio, well turn a screw and you're cooking.

What about the life of a high end, high priced engine. How long do the piston/sleeve last before a rebuild is necessary?

I would have to think it's hard to figure, what with all the variables. I mean, if your buying a "racing" engine, your not going to be running it rich and with high oil content to preserve life. Your going to be leaning it out with low oil to gain more performance.

Either way, I'd still like to know what kind of life people have gotten out of their high priced engines.

But if their compression is so high and the quality of the components is so much better, I would want to assume that you would get a longer life out of them as well. That is, if you treated it to rich fuel and sub-250 temps.

Last edited:
I'll let you know how many gallons of fuel I get through the twins when they burn out.

Wait until you get a .21 Sirio with a smooth linear powerband, you will be so happy you'll probably buy anther k3 LMAO! Sirio made the .27 like it is on purpose, there was a market for pure unadulterated power so the answered the call with the .27. I for one wouldn't know what to do with all that power. The .27 Sirio and the .21 Kanai are really opposite ends of the spectrum. Kania worked long and hard to get that engines power ban to be avaible to be used on the track.

Originally posted by HumboldtBlazer
there was a market for pure unadulterated power so the answered the call with the .27.
You truly don't know how unadulterated that power really is.... INSANE!!!! Why do you think I am calling my K-1 "The Anti-Christ"

I put less than most people put into their engines into my maxx, I have a total of about $275-$290 in it.

Belive it or not I wouldn't mind paying $300-$400 for a mill(keep in mind I drive almost daily) IF

It stays easy to tune
#1 No little problems, like back plates coming loose, carb needles moving on their own.
#2 Plenty of power when ran a tad on the rich side for longevity

#3 It will run cool
#4 tolerant of "not so perfect" needle settings
#5 It will last 6-10 gallons if treated right.

#5 and #4 most important.

NO way I'm paying $400 for a mill just for a easy tune if it's not going to outlast the cmiddle of the road engines by a longshot.

The XTM line is easy to tune, and at $100 for a .18, $175 for a 24.7. I could purchase 2 engines for the price of a expensive mill. 4 if I go with the .18

If they both tune decent (.18's)
The only question for me is longevity. If the high end cost me $400, and the XTM cost me $100 The High end had better last near 3 times as long as the XTM(treated right). Otherwise it just doesn't make sense to me.

There is also something to be said for a decenr running cheap mill, you cxan rod the hell out of it, and not worry too much abut replacment cost.

Keep in mind I'm not even going to the realm of the Mach engines and the like, they just don't even belong in the arena. No way would spend a dime on a cheap cheap mill like that. It's money wasted. I am talking about mid/level engines.

Higher quality engines actually last longer for the most part do to better materials, maching, and quality control. With my AAC I hope to see around 5-6. Currently is has a gallon plus and it still sticks at tdc like a new engine, ask Eddy how it is a starter box killa.

i have the 4 port hyper black head, decent grunt but no top end, leaks like theres no tommorrow. also a hot bodies .21 (el cheaaaapo) - the HB motor is a Kmart motor if there ever was one, been hot rodded by someone here in town, and i think he was drunk. traded for both, i certainly would not have bought either one, knowing what i know now.

i agree that high end engines must be nice, from what I've seen and read, they are the shizzle bam bam snap snap lol. ill have one of my own soon enough in my supermaxx.

but i dont think noobs should even think about buying a high end motor as their first motor. i am personally happy i got two junk engines, as i have become that much more experienced without wasting $bling$ on a motor i would have killed quickly.

i think that most noobs might consider buying an affordable but reliable motor as their first. the OS motors are supposedly highly reliable, with most hyper owners using their carbs on the hypers.

i think that if you can keep a budget motor running well, such as the os engines, you should have no problems with a race engine. as long as you preheat.

Back