Will a new transmitter help with input delay?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up getting the Flysky Noble NB4. I figured since it seems to be one of the faster transmitters, if things still seem a little laggy it will all be in my head.

Contrast the couple of milliseconds you could gain with a flagship radio to servo speeds: can a human tell the difference if the servo turns 60 degrees in 0.060 seconds or 0.058 seconds? I highly doubt anyone would pass a blind test when it comes to differences this small.

If you have a good basic radio or something in the mid-tier range, the radio is not going to be the thing holding you back.

If you have a good basic radio or something in the mid-tier range, the radio is not going to be the thing holding you back.

Agreed, I have race results dated back to when I raced with a Radiolink RC3S where I would often hit 99% consistency and would win local club races with the system. Main difference is that system has a "cheap" feeling to it make with lower quality plastics and no fancy touch screen.

I kept the RC3S as a backup as I moved around various higher quality mid range systems, then after going back to the RC3S was when I could actually feel the difference. It wasn't really a speed related difference which explains why my performance on the track wasn't effected, it was the resolution where making turns felt "notchy". It's not something that anyone will be able to detect until they have a significant amount of time running with a higher resolution system first.

That being said, the Noble NB4 has extremely high resolution on par with any high end system on the market.

I now have the Noble NB4 connected to two cars now, and it is a fantastic transmitter, but almost impossible to use. It is definitely more responsive and feels great, but you can’t see the screen when you are outside. Other thing that makes it tough to use is the brake settings affect reverse speed. That wouldn’t be a such a bad thing except it causes an issue when trying to control flips. I could just adjust before jumping, but can’t see the screen. Currently having a love/hate thing going on. Maybe I just need to find the correct setting to alleviate the braking/reverse issue, but short of printing a bulky screen shade the screen is almost unusable.

What do you mean? Brake IS reverse. That's just how it is.

What do you mean? Brake IS reverse. That's just how it is.
My other transmitters you push forward once for brake and second time for reverse. Same here, but with this transmitter what you set for one it effects the other. Example, reduce brake and it slows down reverse. With my Spektrum DX3 I can reduce the brake rate, but it doesn’t effect the reverse speed.

I'm pretty sure you just *feel* it's like that but it's the same across all radios. Maybe a coincidence, depends on ESC calibration and sensitivity. You can't set those things separately... Reducing brake reduces reverse and the other way round because it's the same thing.

At least I've never seen or heard of a Tx/esc/combo that's smart enough to know when you're braking and when reversing.

The ”push once for braking, the following pushes of the trigger are reverse”-thing would not work if the ESC didn’t differentiate between braking and reversing.

But the transmitter and receiver probably don’t know what’s going on beyond the channel 1 output. So adjusting the EPA or rate from the tx inevitably affects both braking and reversing. If there’s an ESC that allows programming braking power and reverse speed separately, that would work.

You could achieve reduced braking and retain full reversing speed if you add a ton of negative exp and/or move the curve point away from neutral. Then you would have a lot of throw for mild braking (just don’t push it all the way!) and access to full speed reversing when necessary.

Exactly, the ESC interprets brake-neutral-brake as reverse. The tx has nothing to do with it.

I totally get what you are saying, and have found a work around. I just programmed a button that disables any changes to the brakes (reverse) while jumping. However, with the DX3 when I change the brake rate per the picture below it does not appear to the affect the reverse speed. Since I am new to the hobby I didn't realize this was not "normal". Or heck, maybe I am just dreaming :). However, no way I am changing out the receiver again to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks for your help! Now to figure out how to see the screen outside, and I will be more than happy with this radio.

1684769250531.png

Ahhh, now I think I get what’s going on.

I think that brake rate isn’t an EPA. It doesn’t affect the available power, but rather how fast the power is achieved.

So if you suddenly push 100% brakes on as fast as your finger moves, it goes 0–100 more slowly than your finger did.

Kind of how people reduce steering rate if their servo is too fast for their liking. It doesn’t limit the end points, just how fast the servo gets there.

So yeah, this setting can be used to tame the brakes without affecting the reversing speed. I feel dumb for not thinking of this sooner; I have the same settings on my MT-R and I’ve used them before.

EDIT: I looked at the Noble NB4 manual and indeed you have these ”rate functions”, they are called steering speed and throttle speed. Sadly, it doesn’t have brake speed as the DX3 does (called brake rate).

Last edited:
Back