Will a new transmitter help with input delay?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshimp

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am new RC, and have 3 Arrma vehicles. Two 3S and one 6S. I will be getting other brands in the future as I really want to try some others cars. My question is, there seems to be a slight delay from the transmitter input to the vehicles responding. This isn't something that is "bad" by any means. Obviously, the receivers are all Spektrum which make products I typically like as I used Spektrum on the RC plane side and ended up being my go to. Is there an issue here, or is this very slight delay just normal? It it my RTR radios, or the Spektrum receivers? Or possibly both. Will I really notice a difference if I buy a new "faster" transmitter? Also, most videos that show delay between action on the transmitter and response at the servo seem to have some human error. Example a wheel that is not fully tight or has a little more play (which is a problem itself :)) would show that the electronics were slower than they are when in fact it can be other factors.

If getting a new transmitter would truly make a difference, would I notice a difference between the RTR receivers (SLT3, DX3) and something like a Spektrum DX5C, or would I need to go to a Spektrum DX5 Pro?

Here are the transmitters I am looking at but am open to any under $300.

1. DX5C - Looks to be the best price performance, and would only have to replace one receiver. Concern is will I still notice the slight lag?
2. FlySky Noble NB4 - Looks to have good reviews and response. Concerns: Chinese company with questionable support. Apparently some knockoffs that are garbage. Chinese companies are known for sending out some good units, and follow up after good press with a change to their product to save costs that we are oblivious to until someone figures it out.
3. Radiolink RC8X- Looks so easy to use and great options, and shows 3ms response latency . Cons" Only one review I found that shows the lag is not as good as some others, but will I notice for every day bashing as I notice with my RTR radios. Only one test on that lag.

I am open to other brands, but do prefer something not from China if possible due to support (Horizon Hobby has been fantastic) and the sudden changes they make to products at times.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

Edit: For some reason I forgot to put the DX5 Pro on here. It is less than $300 right now on Amazon, and specs are better than the DX5C

Last edited:
Is the delay across the board? Meaning is the delay only in steering (servo) or also with throttle? If the delay is with both throttle and steering then I'd be questioning the radio system. If the delay is only with steering then I'd be looking at the servo as the likely problem and the stock servo's are not the most powerful or fast.

Short answer, yes

The most popular radio currently at the tracks in my area is the Fly Sky Noble NB4, it's a solid design and a very fast system, I highly recommend it.

Most RTR's have a slower latency but very few people can feel the difference, what I typically notice is the difference in resolution. When I test drive someone's RTR system at the track, it feels "notchy" like there are fewer steps in precision when turning at high speed corners.

I'm not a big fan of Spektrum radios so I can't endorse the DX5C but I have raced with the Radiolink RC3S and RC4G systems in the past. I am not familiar with the RC8X but I am confident it will be on par with the Noble.

If there's anything I've learned over the years, my #1 requirement for any radio system is to have a touch screen ;)

Is the delay across the board? Meaning is the delay only in steering (servo) or also with throttle? If the delay is with both throttle and steering then I'd be questioning the radio system. If the delay is only with steering then I'd be looking at the servo as the likely problem and the stock servo's are not the most powerful or fast.
Good question. It is both. I notice it more with throttle then steering.

Good question. It is both. I notice it more with throttle then steering.
You may be experiencing a cogging of the motor on the throttle. Sensorless motors will sometimes do this.

There was a series of Spektrums supplied with Arrmas that were complete garbage with delays that felt like a third or half a second. Really trash systems, a disgrace to Spektrum and Arrma. If you have those, literally any, ANY aftermarket radio will feel much better.

You may be experiencing a cogging of the motor on the throttle. Sensorless motors will sometimes do this.
So if sensorles, and think they may be, I may have this issue unless I change out the motors? :(.
There was a series of Spektrums supplied with Arrmas that were complete garbage with delays that felt like a third or half a second. Really trash systems, a disgrace to Spektrum and Arrma. If you have those, literally any, ANY aftermarket radio will feel much better.
They are all new Arrma purchased this year and the latest versions of the vehicles (I am new to RC cars). It does have a newer radio than what I saw from a Kevin Talbot video, and don't have near the delay he had. I think those were like an SLT2. Mine look totally different and think 2 are SLT3 and one a DX3. A friend of mine who has one of the same cars and other Arrma's thinks I am crazy as he can't detect the delay. Edit: I spoke with friend, and he does see it, but just doesn't consider it an issue.

Edit: I am tempted to purchase based on items that have "free returns" at Amazon, and if it fixes I keep and if not I don't. However, so many recommendations are from Chinese owned companies where support is almost non existent, and I am a big customer support person.

Last edited:
So if sensorles, and think they may be, I may have this issue unless I change out the motors? :(.

They are all new Arrma purchased this year and the latest versions of the vehicles (I am new to RC cars). It does have a newer radio than what I saw from a Kevin Talbot video, and don't have near the delay he had. I think those were like an SLT2. Mine look totally different and think 2 are SLT3 and one a DX3. A friend of mine who has one of the same cars and other Arrma's thinks I am crazy as he can't detect the delay.

Edit: I am tempted to purchase based on items that have "free returns" at Amazon, and if it fixes I keep and if not I don't. However, so many recommendations are from Chinese owned companies where support is almost non existent, and I am a big customer support person.
To switch to a sensored motor setup you would have to swap the ESC and motor to a sensored system. But a little cogging with a sensorless system isn't terrible, unless it's really causing problems driving the truck.

An aftermarket radio would definitely be better. I use the Flysky GT3B and GT5, and they are decent budget radios. As Bill mentioned, going to a better radio will help.

Another thing though, the stock servos in RTR cars are all garbage. From being weak, to being slow, they just don't hold a candle to a good Savox or Hitec servo, or something along those lines. Even the cheap 35kg servos on Amazon are better than most RTR servos.

If you are not racing then going sensored will be a waste of money... I used to actually race with sensorless in my SCT without issue for many years, though the cogging only happens when you accelerate super slow from a dead stop. Cogging typically goes away once you go past 25% throttle, where the vast majority of bashers are not going to be driving under 25% throttle ;)

You should not be operating the car like a crawler... if you experience cogging because of snail like acceleration then you will experience the same problem with a sensored system too, just not as bad. Sensored systems are drastically smoother and are better suited for race tracks with technical layouts to increase the precision of throttle response for jump timing and cornering.

Since your buddy thinks you're crazy, I suspect there is no issue and you may have unrealistic expectations.

Yes, there are definitely higher quality components out there, but not worth it if you are just bashing around the house.

The Futaba radio's seem to be the best in quicker response ,but they can be
quite expensive!..:thumbs-up::cool:
An yes ,there is such a thing as delay response!

The Futaba radio's seem to be the best in quicker response ,but they can be
quite expensive!..:thumbs-up::cool:
An yes ,there is such a thing as delay response!
I was thinking about a Futaba. They get great reviews. I have been reading that they are not the most comfortable. Do you concur with that or do you find the comfort it good? I know this can be subjective as everyone's hands are different. I like the 4pm, but a little more expensive as you mentioned, but I guess "buy once, cry once" instead of buying, regretting, and buying again. And maybe I am just expecting too much as mentioned earlier. However, the more I think about it, I would love to have a single transmitter instead of lugging around several each time I go out.

Last edited:
For the price, the 4PM is underwhelming... I have struggled many times to help other racers navigate the menu on the 4PM which has a steep learning curve.

I can't stress the value in limiting your options to systems with a touch screen, been there done that.

There are many pro drivers in my area running the Fly Sky Noble NB4 which is why I switched over and I have no regrets racing with this system. Honestly, you'll get a thumbs up from me for any system with a touch screen....simple as that.

I was thinking about a Futaba. They get great reviews. I have been reading that they are not the most comfortable. Do you concur with that or do you find the comfort it good? I know this can be subjective as everyone's hands are different. I like the 4pm, but a little more expensive as you mentioned, but I guess "buy once, cry once" instead of buying, regretting, and buying again. And maybe I am just expecting too much as mentioned earlier. However, the more I think about it, I would love to have a single transmitter instead of lugging around several each time I go out.

I dont own the Futaba or that Noble that was mentioned ,however ,I had friends that bought the
Futaba for that reason an talked about the response rate in the signal!
I personally dont mind using the cheaper radio gear that I have ,all my friends think that
Futaba is a must have!..:hehe:...🤷‍♂️

Just my opinion but the DX5C sucks. I have one and it is probably one of the worst radios I have. It's marketed as a high end radio but it is made just as cheaply as the radios that come with the cheapo Amazon rc cars. My power button kept getting stuck so the radio would power cycle itself and the scroll wheel scrolls by itself. Receivers are $35 each for the 3 channel ones. Only 10 model memory. The DX5 Rugged and the DX5 Pro aren't any better from my understanding.

I would go with the Flysky or the Radiolink.

Just my opinion but the DX5C sucks. I have one and it is probably one of the worst radios I have. It's marketed as a high end radio but it is made just as cheaply as the radios that come with the cheapo Amazon rc cars. My power button kept getting stuck so the radio would power cycle itself and the scroll wheel scrolls by itself. Receivers are $35 each for the 3 channel ones. Only 10 model memory. The DX5 Rugged and the DX5 Pro aren't any better from my understanding.

I would go with the Flysky or the Radiolink.
Thanks for the info. Usually the Spektrum complaints are…”a guy at the track said…” rather than real experiences. On the airplane side I love my Spektrum stuff. I keep going back and forth on the Flysky and Radiolink as they are Chinese based companies and support is concerning. Also they are rather expensive unless I take a chance with shipping from China. The DX5C hits sale prices of $120 often so about $100 yes and a US company I have had good luck with. I started looking at the Futaba 4PMP as well. These choices are so difficult. If Flysky was more European or American I probably would have already pulled the trigger. The Radiolink looks the coolest, but more expensive and performance reviews are not very good.

Thanks for the info. Usually the Spektrum complaints are…”a guy at the track said…” rather than real experiences. On the airplane side I love my Spektrum stuff. I keep going back and forth on the Flysky and Radiolink as they are Chinese based companies and support is concerning. Also they are rather expensive unless I take a chance with shipping from China. The DX5C hits sale prices of $120 often so about $100 yes and a US company I have had good luck with. I started looking at the Futaba 4PMP as well. These choices are so difficult. If Flysky was more European or American I probably would have already pulled the trigger. The Radiolink looks the coolest, but more expensive and performance reviews are not very good.
The Radiolink RC6GS V3 is no slouch either and it only costs $80. It's not the most quality feeling radio similar to the DX5C but I has 7 channels, 30 model memory, a built in gyro, voltage telemetry and the receivers are less than $20.

The Radiolink RC6GS V3 is no slouch either and it only costs $80. It's not the most quality feeling radio similar to the DX5C but I has 7 channels, 30 model memory, a built in gyro, voltage telemetry and the receivers are less than $20.
I use the RC4GS V3 and I love it. Besides the plastics. Plastics are pretty bridle. I had broke off the trigger and the battery tray door but its all fixed with tape and CA glue. But its a good cheap budget radio with the functions. The differences between the RC4GS and RC6GS is that the 6 is in grey and the 4GS is black with a orange wheel. Also the 6 has 3 more switches for the 3 extra channels. Also the 6 has voltage telemetry as the 4 does not. The 6GS does have a longer range too. I use the 4GS for all of my cars at the moment. Pretty good. With me getting more into racing, I had been looking at the mid range Futabas (4PM Plus or any old 4PLS/4PX) , Sanwas (MT series) and FlySky NB4. I had also been looking at the Radiolink RC8X. If I get the RC8X, I can pair it up with my cars right when I get it as the receivers I use now (RC6F and RC6FG rxs) are compatible with the RC8X without any gyro (non G receivers) and telemetry which all of that I really don't need for spec buggy racing.

On how my uncle described it too me, if I get a higher quality radio, I might be able to drive better, smoother, have a better feel and grip in my hands, and more car control. (He has a Futaba 7PX) When I drove his car (Xray XB4) it felt really good and fast. He was using stock kit setup. At the time I was coming from 2wd brushed cars. Next time when my uncle can take me down to the track, I am going to see if I can drive his car and compare to my AE B74.1. In terms of his radio (7PX), it felt really nice, no delay between the radio or car at all. Really nice feel and grip in my hands. Also on these higher radios, you can adjust the wheel and trigger tension, touch screen / color screen. You can also change out the wheels and the wheel foam grip things. I mean you could technically change out the wheels and wheel foams on any radio.

I also felt a Sanwa M17 in a Yokomo YZ2 cal 3.1 and with a mini z. The Sanwa M17 is around 600 USD and the Futaba 7PX/7PXR is around 700 USD. Both radios felt really nice.

Going back to the conversation, if this is for just basher cars, you really don't need a expensive Futaba or Sanwa. I mean you could put them in basher cars but they are more for competitive racing.

Here is Ryan Harris's comparison between a Sanwa M17 / Sanwa MT12S and a Spektrum DX5C with lap times, feel, and delays.

Last edited:
Is there an issue here, or is this very slight delay just normal? It it my RTR radios, or the Spektrum receivers? Or possibly both.
There might be or not, When I was using the Traxxas TQ radios in my slash/rustler when they were all stock, I did notice a slight delay. Even when I had the Traxxas radio in my Losi Mini.
Will I really notice a difference if I buy a new "faster" transmitter?
Depends which one. There might be a grip or feel difference, function difference, it can be faster too.
If getting a new transmitter would truly make a difference, would I notice a difference between the RTR receivers (SLT3, DX3) and something like a Spektrum DX5C, or would I need to go to a Spektrum DX5 Pro?
You probably will notice a difference.

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up getting the Flysky Noble NB4. I figured since it seems to be one of the faster transmitters, if things still seem a little laggy it will all be in my head. This also gets me on one radio for all my cars. Walmart had an okay deal (~$30 less than most reputable sites) and can return in store if I don’t like. Lucky for me the chapstick I ordered at the same time has already been delivered ;).

Last edited:
Back