Low Priced Engines VS High Priced Engines

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Error, predicted this would be in the FFA fast but I told him otherwise... Either way, one of us is going to be wrong, sorry Error...

Previous to this spending spree I went on, I had never really seen the difference between a K-Mart grade mill and a Ferrari grade mill. After this weekend's bash with Error we have seen the light.

Error just got a new Sirio Kanai edition engine and I just got my new Sirio Monster 27's. From the gitgo, there was a difference. Looking at the 3 lines of break in you knew that these engines was not for novices. There were no stock settings for any of the needles, least not mentioned in the manual, which was 4 small pages long. You really got the feeling of having something special in your hands vs something just mass produced to sell to the quickest buyer.

Finding the tightness of the piston in the cylinder to be tighter than any other engine either of us had seen was something new. On Error's new mill the first try on the bump starter resulted in the crank getting stuck at top dead center because it was so tight. After this all 3 were able to run fine.

From the first tank of fuel you did notice the difference too. Each of these beauties really had a nice manner to them. Tuning was a dream. I have never seen an engine that was so easy to tune, neither had Error.

As far as engine temps go in the mid 50s at full power runs that temp barely got above 200. In the heat of the day with temps in the upper 70s the temps barely reached 250.

I was going to say more but I forgot where I was going here. Flame on there buddies. Defend your K-Mart mills if you dare.

No Picco or wasp for me! I choose RB all the way!! Can't wait for the new .28 to come out by RB!

Tao Bueno!

Woody:moped:

me nither, its gonna be shreading dfffs all over the world lol

Oh yeah, here's another interesting factoid I just found while dialing in all my rc's for the lowlands, the stock engines suck! The engine in my storm and the engine in my inferno are nothing compared to my twins. I also found that my k1 was running in the mid 3's so I dropped her down to the mid 2's. All the others were in the upper 2's but I also dropped them down to the mid 2's.

what are the prices looking like for the fantom 27 and the sirio and rb 28s? I'm looking to get a big block for my new mad force. i was thinking of just going with an ofna .25 because i saw one in a madforce, and it pulls the wheels up hard and rips on most savages. but perhaps i will have to go at least to a fantom big block , i love my fantom 15, its the hotness. runs fast at 220-230 all day any day

You know EP My first experience was with a Mach .15 Looking at the engine case I didn't see much difference in any of the .15's out there.

After having hands on with three different .15's I noticed their is a huge difference between even the bargain mill and the middle of the road mill.

I can only imagine if the jump is noticable from low end to mid end, what the jump is like from mid to high end engines.

I completely understand the problems people have with tuning now. Tuning that mach, even after a new piston and sleeve is always going to be a night mare.

Low end mills get harder to tune as you pass more fuel through them. High end mills seem to get easier to tune, run cooler, and gain more power after every gallon. (if treated right)

The price for a sirio .27 is almost $400 and the Sirio .21 Kanai is just a tad over $300..

Lykan, I might have found the kryptonite to my twins, there's no mid range. It's on of off. The thing either wants to run or idle, however edjusting the essomethingother on the JR TX it helps give more mid range. Still you hit the gas and the thing takes off like a raped ape.

I have a .18 in my stadium truck, it's crazy rocket fast. I can only imagine a sirio .27, or .21 in a buggy.

Like 1/4 the weight of a MT, 2x the power, and they can handle too? Rockets.. I bet those things are rockets. Hit the throttle, glance away and they're gone. (if not stuck in the wall lol)
**edit**
I wonder how much has to do with the weight to power ratio. I know thats got to keep the temps down.

Exponential. And you forgot to mention that it seems to take a boat load of it in the radio to get a little bit of midrange on your 27's. I've never seen engines with a throttle curve like those.

Just like any industry, you get what you pay for. I have always believed this, thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.

However,
Not everyone can afford to pay the price for a high end mill. As we all know the price of a mill can exceed the price of an entire RC setup it will go into.

There are several companies like OS that offer the hobbyist (as compared to the fanatic) a great mill for a great price. They also offer different levels of power in the same size groups without sacrificing quality for money.

For many users a high end mill would be great to have but would also be a waste of resources. A high end mill would be the last upgrade for someone coming up in the hobby to get. There first money would be better spent on a new radio, batteries, chargers, temp gun, tools, and beefing up their rides.

With all that said, If your set with all the best equipment and are proficient in driving, a high end mill is the obvious next step. There isn't anything better than knowing your at 1/3 rd throttle on the track and have plenty leftover with no possibility of ever needing the top 30% of the power it has to offer.

-Ed

True.

And that top 30% is what scares me.

What would you consider to be a Kmart grade mill anyway? Regardless, I don't have deep pockets anyway. I enjoy the mill I have anyway. Never had any probs with OS.

If you have a Kmart grade mill, it's fine. Just make sure it's not from the martha stewart selection. She might have dropped the ball on that one and short changed ya.

Well, the first one that comes to mind is the Hyper 21s. I had a PS 8 port and it was a decent engine, better than my 21BBs, but not quite the same as the high end engines. I got lucky with my Hyper. i never had any problems with the PS and it was fairly reliable. It did tend to run hot on the lower half of the tank (in a Savage and a Lightning buggy. The new Sirio doesn't. Also the top rpm of the Hyper is lower than spec and takes a little longer to get there (spool time). Don't get me wrong, I like the Hyper, but a friend of mine has a black head Hyper 4 port and he really doesn't like it. Leaks like a siive and won't run right.

The 21BB is definately K-Mart. It runs, and has some power, but the quality and engineering is pretty low tech. The head is cast, the backplate starter thing is just milled steel, and the carb is metal. Like I said, it runs, but has quite a few problems.

The Ofna Picco Outlaw .26 is on the same par as the Hyper 21 8 port. My 26 came with the wrong LSN and gave em tons of trouble until I fixed it. It had the same heat issue as the Hyper and was prone to flaming out sometimes. Awesome power, but with a few quirks.

As far as breakin and tuning, I am seriously impressed with the Sirios. My K 21 was a bitch to get started the first time, but it idled the whole first tank without one stall or hickup. I did richen it up from factory to keep the temps down, but it amazed me on that first tank. After that, starting was very quick and the tune holds throughout the tank and the temps run around 250-260 after it's running for a few minutes. No-stop pits are a breeze. Once the temps are up, refilling the tank results in no performance loss, unlike my hyper and Picco 26 which tend to richen up when I refueled. Also, the Sirio spools quick and the rpms are definately in the high 30K to low 40K range.

What model EXACTLY is it that you guys are referring to on the Sirio?

I made another post in the Nitro Engines forum looking for advise. I'm just squatting on this thread to find out what mill it is that you and ElP are speaking so highly of.

The first one yields more right?

Thats the one I had in mind believe it or not.

How do the power curves of those 2 engines compare? Does one have more low-end than the other? Top-end? Is the Monster XL worth the extra $70, or do you need a football feild to use those kinds of speeds and it's just overkill?

I don't know if I would call every other engine that isn't highend a k-mart engine. there are certainly those that fall into that category, I think error mentioned some of them. I think the 02 Fantoms fall into that category, as well as a few others. I think that a company like say O.S. is not a K-mart engine. I see O.S. win all the time at my track. With the exception of one model they are consistent/reliable and affordable. My guess is that there are a few other categories of engines that fall into the 150-200 dollar range that aren't necessarily RB or Paris Racing, but are not K-Mart either.