Nitro engine fit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Citrix

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Y'all. I'm getting the Kyosho Inferno gt3 kit and after a lot of research since this is my first nitro I've decided to go with a pull start engine just for simplicity and less cost. No where in the instructions or manual or reviews of this kit can I find if it will fit a pull start. The only reason the fit even came to mind is because I was told that a pull start requires a taller mount for the engine since it needs to clear the handle and string. Does anyone have experience with this kit or knowledge of it that can help me?

P.S. this might be the deciding factor of me getting on road vs off road. I've only ever done off-road with electric and wanted a complete 180 to try something new, but the cost difference simply isn't worth it if this kit cannot fit a pull start, as well as the limitations of areas to run it.

I've never owned that kit but the Kyosho website says that the GT3 is based off of the Inferno MP9 TKI4 and that some standard and option parts from the MP9 will fit the GT3. The MP9 is shown on Kyoshos website to have an engine with a pullstart so if the pullstart doesn't fit on the GT3 chassis then if you can locate the engine mount for the MP9 then you should be able to make it work.

Capture564.JPG

Thanks so much. I realized how bad I am at researching and putting 2 and 2 together. Speaking of which, I can’t seem to find a single on road pull start .21 nitro engine. Do they even exist?

I have the Kyosho MP9I4 ,I currently have my engine off ,I can check ,I also have the manual
that I can look an see if there is an optional engine mount!..:cool:

I have the Kyosho MP9I4 ,I currently have my engine off ,I can check ,I also have the manual
that I can look an see if there is an optional engine mount!..:cool:
Thank you so much! Let me know!

Thanks so much. I realized how bad I am at researching and putting 2 and 2 together. Speaking of which, I can’t seem to find a single on road pull start .21 nitro engine. Do they even exist?
Pull starts will be found on "sport" engines, which are intended for casual driving / bashing, like the regular SH .21, rather than onroad or off-road variants which are developed for more RPM or more torque, or even just a different powerband favorable to the kind of racing it was designed for.

"Onroad" and "off-road" isn't a strict configuration or set of features- they're physically interchangeable; same crankshaft, mounting pattern, etc. They were designed as racing engines, intended for competition use; they lose the starting mechanism to maximize performance. There's nothing wrong with bashing them except having to bring a bump box with you.

In the park or just for fun, you'd never know the difference between sport and race engines; it's only when they're pitted head to head and every second counts.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Let me know!

Sorry ,forgot about checking the manual ,but I seen the orinal Gt 2's RTR did come with a Kyosho
pull start engine ,so I am quite sure they will fit!
Some other brands did have fitment issues because the engine mount interfered with the pull start back plate ,
the back plate wouldnt bolt on because the engine mount!
There is vids out there that shows the GT 2 with the pull start engine including the RTR buggies! 😎

Hey bud just chiming in. Not familiar with the Kyosho gt3 but I do have a Kyosho Mp9 tki3 race kit. I know for a fact a Pullstart engine would not fit with the racing kit version engine mounts, as they would sit too low and not allow proper mounting of the engine. If anything, you’d probably have to find and buy the RTR version engine mounts and mount them on your kit to run a pullstart engine.I believe the RTR gt2 mounts would be a couple millimeters higher, to allow the pullstart and backplate to not rub on the chassis.