Kyosho Mad Force or HPI Savage SS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshiestevens

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi. I am fairly new into RC Cars. I have a Cen Fun Factor renault Schlesser about a year ago and sold it, but now I want to get back into rc cars. my Cen was RTR which was a mistake because whenever something went wrong with it, I didnt know whow to fix it.

I want a monster truck now (I think, unless a buggy). I am going to drive on grass mud stones small jumps etc.

I deffinately want a kit as I think it will help alot when I get problems with the truck.

I want to know what you think. Kyosho Mad Force or HPI Savage SS.

What do you rate them on:

Kit building difficulty
Speed (how fast do they go. Faster than my stock 2 speed Fun Factor)
Reliability
Fun
etc.

I hope you guys can helo as I want to get back into the sport.

Thanks

Josh

In regards to speed, the Mad Force should take the cup hands down.

Reliability?? Id vote Savage but I dont own a Mad Force, I've just driven one.

Fun? Either one and you will be happy.

The Mad Force is a truck I have steered away from only because my LHS doesn't stock parts for it and neither does anyone else around these parts. But, you could probably find eveything you need online.

The Savage on the other hand is a VERY mainstream product right now and seems to be the only BIG competitor to the TMaxx at the moment. Thus, most LHS's are stocking a lot of parts on hand for them.

You are smart to go with a kit. It will give you insight into how the truck is put together so that if anything breaks you will know just how to fix or replace the part.

I just finished the SS kit and am very happy with it. Real simple to build. Durability, reliability and fun factor of the Savage speaks for itself. Check out the Savage forum.

I highly reccomend the Savage SS.

As Çh®i§tiªñ noted, parts availability should be considered in your decision.

how much faster is the mad force than the savage, and can you also jump them off huge ramps like you see in the videos

A savage is the way to go.Yes a savage can be jumped of huge ramps and not break nothing(depends on how you land).Any hobby shop carries savage parts.Not many carry Kyosho parts.The savage is as fast as you need.You wont be disappointed.

the thing is thatthe savage doesn't have reverse. also, itan easy engine to start with the pullstart or do you recommend the roto start.

Also, realistically how fast could you get thesavage to go stock, and why is itslower than the mad force when it has a bigger engine.

Also, is it rightwhat people saywhen they say that its not great on the road/concrete/tarmac as it will keep tipping up.

The MAd Force does not have reverse! The Mega has, but not the MAD!

You will catch hell trying to get kyosho parts if you break something and your lhs doesn't stock it. Just something to think about. I also have two savages and they're tough reliable fun. You don't want the reverse module as it's weak and I removed mine after the output shaft sheared in half. Either would be fun but if you can't get parts then you'll be down which is no fun.

My Mad Force is pretty tough. I've crashed it HARD into a lot of stuff and it hasen't broken yet. It goes 40mph+ because of its 3 speed transmission. Plus it does wheelies on command. The kit was very easy and has simple to read instructions. And if i need parts, www.towerhobbies.com carries them. Never seen a savage run so I can't compare.

I had to wait 11 months for tower to get kyosho parts in for my usa-1 last year. Great plains is the exclusive us distributor and is next door to tower, go figure, so if they can't get them even tower won't have the parts. Seeing that the original poster is in London I didn't mention tower as he would probably use a UK based vendor.

i have had no prob getting m-f parts, they are as easy to find, or order as hpi, traxxas or associated at any hobby store or at tower hobbies

Back