Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toke

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Recently purchased and awaiting a delivery of a kyosho drx gp with the gx18 engine

31054.jpg

I've yet to find any information wether any other body shells fit this as it is a unique 1/9 size. I was hoping to get a Evo or m3 or focus style shell but am unaware what my options are.

I've looked into mp9 shells for dust protection but don't know wether or not it will cause damage with the heat of the nitro.

What are the best break in procedures and first initial things I should do when I first start up the engine as this is my first nitro car. Should I leave the needles at the factory settings for the first few tanks whilst doing the heat process cycle then fine tune it for performance or leave it standard as this claims to be a rtr, so in theory I just put in fuel an go?

You will need to tune, as well as maintenance. RTR is an illusion, when you receive your car the first think to do is sit it on a table with the manual in front of you and go over thr manual and the car for a few hours. Learn what you have. Go through each section in the manual, then go through that section of the car.

There are some great tuning threads on this site, unfortunately I have no idea how to link to them. Others will help.

Take it slow and enjoy the process. In fact, see if you can download a manual and get started.

The needles should already be set up to the optimal setting for break in shouldn't they? I've seen plenty of good guides and have an understanding of engines anyway, but will benefit more when it arrives and can see it hands on.

I'm jus wondering what I will need to do once it out the box will I need to use after run oil and oil the filter before my first run, or should I be able to fill up an go I've also noted I need to purchase a fuel filter for extra safety

In my recent experience the needles will be set from factory in the the default configuration recommended for break in.

Keep the wheels of the floor and let a couple of tanks idle through.

You may need to adjust the throttle slightly with the trim on the controller, when I started mine up it was too open. You might be ok, just something to keep in mind.

Once you've got through that it's a few tanks at low speed (like 1/8th throttle) and I'd say you should be good to have some faster runs. Id probably avoid excessive periods on full throttle for a few more tanks.

Once done you'll then probably need to look at tuning a little which is dependent on the behaviour of your car when it's running and what you're trying to get out of it.

I'm only new to this too and my car's not much further along than this. So use my advice of you wish or don't haha but I did read a lot before going ahead with anything.

The needles may all be close, may even be in the mark but the humidity, elevation, ambient temp etc all change 'optimum' settings. You want the car running rich anyways. If you are not familiar with breaking in a nitro, take the time to read... And read and read!! Get familiar with how to do it right and more importantly, what to look out for if your car starts running lean (that could kill your new engine) or if it starts running too rich etc. I know this sounds like a lot to worry about... Believe me, it's not as bad as all that. Remember, everyone in this forum was a newbie at one point too. We are here to help! I can promise you that if you follow the break in procedure properly, you'll have years of fun to come! Good luck with everything. Message me if you'd like with any questions or better still, post them here so more ppl can chime in with answers!

Thanks a lot for all your support I've still got a few more days to wait till it arrives as my billing address was different to my shipping address so my payment was void. I think I will have more problems receiving the kit then actually trying to run it in.

I've Read up plenty on the correct settings and tune in procedures and as I work with cars as a living I won't see any problem with setting up the carb if it all goes as planned. I understand it needs to be rich at first to lube the parts and eventually after a few tanks I will be able to set it to its optimal performance without causing anything to over heat.

The package I'm purchasing is 269 aswell as 40 for a pro package which includes starter pack 5l 20%nitro a recieved hump pack and a charger which is supposed to comes up to 326 but managed to get the price to 312 after the website glitched and shown me a cheaper deal.

What other extra should I purchase in the mean time ie any extra glow plugs any after run oil or temp gun or anything that will save me from losing my rag when I'm halfway through breaking in and realise I'm missing a critical bit of kit

Extra glow plugs, and after run oil are Def good to have, the temp fun is imperative as far as I'm concerned. A good glow plug igniter as well.

Oh, a fuel tank filler bottle as well.

These should all hopefully be included in the starter pack that I've purchased bar the extra plugs and oil

Most people forget the basic essentials aren't included with these kits I know for sure il have forgot something by the time I come to start it

il hopefully find a temp gun by the time it arrives because the manual says to keep temperature below 140c so it's better to keep an eye on It from the start rather be safe then sorry.

These should all hopefully be included in the starter pack that I've purchased bar the extra plugs and oil

Most people forget the basic essentials aren't included with these kits I know for sure il have forgot something by the time I come to start it

il hopefully find a temp gun by the time it arrives because the manual says to keep temperature below 140c so it's better to keep an eye on It from the start rather be safe then sorry.

I have seen kits that include some or a 'nitro package' that includes most or all of these.
Either Sears or similar tool sales place Will have your temp gun if a lhs doesn't. I recommend buying a rechargeable as well as a battery powered plug igniter. C or D batteries are cheap enough of you kill the rechargeable.

Last edited:
Been through that post multiple times over the past week it has been very helpful an the sole reason I joined this site.

Printing out will be ideal for quick reference I will post updates when my order finally processes an arrive, in the mean time I'm looking at which glow plugs will work best also what tyres an what other extras i haven't ordered or thought about

I've broken in 4 Traxxas, 2 Redcats, and 3 Exceeds, all Nitro's and only 1 had the needles set correctly out of the box. Break in can be challenging so just be patient. For me it's part of the fun of running Nitro. Pick up a couple extra glow plugs and a small screw driver for tuning. IFR temp gun will help a lot too.

Don't rush it. Start your break in by the book and check in here if you have any issues. The proper break in is what will give you a strong, healthy engine.

Just got my drx an managed to get it started but every time I give it gas it dies an bogs out the idle doesn't sound right either anyone on snapchat

Not on snap but have you adjusted your needles etc? Made sure the carb, any filters fuel tank etc are all clean? Just the first things I'd do.

Skip the clean part... I got the threads confused. Make sure the carb is tight tho. An air leak there will make all sorts of issues come up.

Btw, it's common practice to drill holes, open windows etc on shells to provide adequate cooling for the motor.

It's all part of the break in process. If you try to punch it, it WILL stall. You adjust things slightly as you go through the initial tanks. Again, follow the break in procedure and do it right.

I've not bothered with the body yet until the engine is at its optimal.

Was flooding the engine at first due to my glow starter not being charged enough managed to idle through 3 tanks.

Can tell when it's ready to go cause the exhaust emits blue smoke an it sounds completely different but this only happens when I'm about to run out of juice and I'm feathering the throttle and building up the revs I have yet to have the wheels propel it forward. What are my steps now because something doesn't seem to be right

Remembered this video where the guy says the low speed needle needed to be adjusted 5.25 turns compared to the manuals 2.5 turns I will try after work and see if it prewarming it helps

WAY TOO MUCH!!! You need to lean the LSN about a quarter turn and start driving slowly. Do not punch it, do not go past half throttle. Do that for a full tank, let the engine cool down completely with the piston at BDC, then lean the LSN another quarter turn and do the same.
You NEVER make a major adjustment while doing the break-in. That's a sure way to shorten the engine life.

Back