Just got my car, need some help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javey

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, I basically got a box of parts from my dad and put it back together as best as I could. I know I'm missing a few parts and was wondering if I can get some help. I'm not really too knowledgeable about these cars, but I am pretty mechanically inclined. I couldn't get the engine to start but it's turning when I pull the cord, I think I just need one of those glow plug warmers. Otherwise, the tires are turning when I try to start the car and I don't think I have all the parts I need for the clutch...any advice is appreciated. I'll post a few pics. Also when the engine is turned, the wheels spin in opposite directions, so any tips on that would be useful as well. Thanks :)

20121104133148.jpg

20121104133202.jpg

20121104133215.jpg

The wheels are supposed turn in opposite direction when it's not running and you're spinning them by hand. I'm pretty sure you have your clutch bell on backwards, that's all I can tell right now as I'm writing this from a bathroom break from sleeping lol.

---------- Post added at 2:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:05 AM ----------

Everything I'm saying my be completely wrong as I've never seen that car before. What kind is it?

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum, I'm still very new on this on this one too.
Where's your receiver battery? Charge it up good first...
What radio transmitter are you going to use, & which receiver are you using to steer and throttle thee new car.
Is that air filter clean and oiled?
You will need to prime the engine to get fuel to the carb before it fires up.
Nice looking model, by the way, you're in for some fun when you get it running,

Enjoy the forum, and your model.

Chas

Last edited:
Theres a few different problems I can see, your flywheel goes on first before the clutchbell, You dont have any brakes hooked up, I could be wrong here but that air filter doesn't look like its been given a coating of air filter oil. You will have to have a glow ignitor to start the engine, assuming its still good. I would suggest tearing it down, cleaning it, and the sealing it if you havent already.

As for anything else, Id find out what the kit is and download the manual for it in order to check the rest of it.

It looks to be a Traxxas Nitro Hawk, below are the exploded views of your car, for future reference. You will probably have a hard time finding parts though, it's an older model, so ebay may be your best bet. Some parts from a Nitro Sport or Rustler may fit, both of these are still made, so if you can get some parts to work, replacements will be easier to find.

Front
Rear
Chassis
Transmission
Parts List

Last edited:
According to the exploded view on the manual, the fly wheel and the clutch bell are in the correct order. Very strange, but correct.

According to the exploded view on the manual, the fly wheel and the clutch bell are in the correct order. Very strange, but correct.

Don't be hatin', that was the style in '92. :hehe:

---------- Post added at 7:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:58 PM ----------

From the exploded view, it looks like the brake "pad" stopped the CB.

Oh wow....before my RC career started...Never seen a configuration like that before. Learn something new everyday! :)

Oh wow....before my RC career started...Never seen a configuration like that before. Learn something new everyday! :)

Same here, I was 7 :D. I didn't start hobby grade RC until last year, next march is my 2yr mark. lol

Thanks for all of the help guys :) I'm glad I found this site. Thanks especially for the schematics. That will help a TON! I got some new clutches today so I'm hoping that I have pretty much everything I need. I also got the glow plug warmer and am charging it now, and I'm hoping this thing starts how it should! I'll have to wait till the weekend I have a few more things I'd like to buy and then I'll give it a go. Should be a fun little car.

Just remember, the plastics may be pretty brittle, they are around 20 yrs old. I'd also treat it like a new engine, baby it for a few tanks while running a little rich.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I got it all together the right way and bought all the parts I needed and new rear tires. The spur gear now turns with the bell crank and I got the fuel return line into the exhaust pipe. I'll have to post pics tomorrow. But it all seems to be working well. The only problem I'm now having is that the engine won't fire...I put my finger over the exhaust to prime it, but still no go. What else can I try? I'm not sure how to set that screw on the top that screws into the carb, I twisted it all the way clockwise till it stopped and then back the other way but it never did stop. I'm not sure what I'm doing with that. Where should I go from here? Engine was running last it was tried, but that was years ago.