I have a few questions and Could really use some knowledge

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaxSun

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I got an rc car a few years or so ago never really used it but recently I took it out and was enjoying it then one of the dogbones broke so I took the dogbone to the the hobby place where it was purchased and turns out the company that made it long closed they said find a local machinist but not sure how that will go so now I'm in need of some 57.15mm dogbones that i can't seem to find anywhere I was thinking about swapping to cvd but I am unsure how things are measured I was hoping someone might have some ideas and or advice. The rc car is a 1/12 scale Contakt

What you posted is a step up from the stock dogbone(HLNA0509) I did look on eBay a few different times didn't see the HLNA0687. Thank you ill look into that one but since I'm on here do you know how I could get a few made from metal or what would be needed to add slightly longer ones just for the reason they seem to break also doesn't seem like very many around

I had made a comment about getting them made I am curious about that but also when I was searching for dogbones a lot of items were just labeled with part numbers so I was wondering if any of you out there know of some metal/aluminum dogbones that are 57.15mm that just are not labeled as such

I had made a comment about getting them made I am curious about that but also
Good luck with that. You'd have to find some guy doing side work on Craigslist/Marketplace or is retired and machines stuff in his garage. I looked in to getting a one-off piece made once, and most of the local shops wouldn't even take a single item job like that. The couple that would wanted $450-$600 to make the part. My suggestion would just be to buy a current rig that has part support available for it. At least once to get to the stage where replacements can't be found on eBay or are too expensive.

You take a drive to where local metal working shops are . walk in . find a manager ask them about your dog bones. and what price will be.done this before buying my 6 in 1 machine. if you filled out profile completely, I would have been able to help more
Machinists by me are happy to do a side job like this...just take other side with you so they have a exact size you need...Do you have a set of calipers to make sure new part is same size. also make sure its a hardened material,You will pay a premium price
By me id drive to nearby town. Down a street called industrial drive and just pick a machine shop

Last edited:
Any machine shop you walk into and ask for a quote to reproduce one of those dogbones is going to charge you way more than what it would cost to just go buy a better RC. That is not an easy part to make "cheap". Then there is the heat treating needed afterwards to make sure it holds up, which can be done easily with an oil quench, but still, no machine shop is going to make that for less than $100.

If I think about it today, I will try to measure any dogbones I have to see if any of them might work.

Last edited:
Any machine shop you walk into and ask for a quote to reproduce one of those dogbones is going to charge you way more than what it would cost to just go buy a better RC. That is not an easy part to make "cheap". Then there is the heat treating needed afterwards to make sure it holds up, which can be fone easily with an oil quench, but still, no machine shop is hoing to make that for less than $100.

If I think about it today, I will try to measure any dogbones I have to see if any of them might work.
$100 would be friend prices from what I experienced doing that in my area.

Thank you all for your ideas and information also double thanks for chubaka with the ebay link ill be getting the stock replacement soon but I am still interested in if anybody knows of any metal dogbones that is 57mm I think I have given up on having some made for now

Thank you all for your ideas and information also double thanks for chubaka with the ebay link ill be getting the stock replacement soon but I am still interested in if anybody knows of any metal dogbones that is 57mm I think I have given up on having some made for now
That HPI one is metal isn't it? Looks way too thin to be plastic.

I'm not sure if Hpi is metal but I'm also not sure how all the different brands are mesasured the metal one I'm hoping to find is 57.15mm from end to end a few I have seen just seem to measure just the shaft

I'm not sure if Hpi is metal but I'm also not sure how all the different brands are mesasured the metal one I'm hoping to find is 57.15mm from end to end a few I have seen just seem to measure just the shaft
The measurement should be from pin to pin. Whether anyone lists their shafts by that measurement is unknown without an actual drawing showing the measurement, but that technically should be the standard way to measure them.

Back