Jeremy's Axial Ryft build!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrebee88

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
This was a pretty fun build! Everything went together smoothly for the most part. I had a bit of trouble with the 2 speed servo. Started off with a powerHD servo but couldn't get it to shift properly, so I just got the spektrum one. I used the stock setup for the shocks and differentials. I want to see how it performs and adjust from there.

RitMore Peacock Green for dying the cage.
MKS HBL 550 steering servo
Castle copperhead ESC
Holmes Hobbies PP 540L in 2700kv
Hot Racing servo saver, rear sway bar, and trailing arms
SSD aluminum knuckles, beadlock wheels, and steel driveshafts.

20230527_063555.jpg
20230527_063629.jpg
20230516_204355.jpg
20230507_203340.jpg
20230513_081700.jpg
20230507_203355.jpg

Really nice job, great attention to detail. Solder job on the motor looks perfect!
How do you like that Copperhead?

Really nice job, great attention to detail. Solder job on the motor looks perfect!
How do you like that Copperhead?
So far it does everything I need it to do. Has the same settings as the Mamba X but just goes up to 4s. I would say it's a solid ESC for 2-4s applications.

Looks awesome!

So far it does everything I need it to do. Has the same settings as the Mamba X but just goes up to 4s. I would say it's a solid ESC for 2-4s applications.
I'm thinking about a copperhead esc for one of my short course trucks, keep us pisted on your opinion of it!
How do you have the diffs/spools set up in your ryft?

I'm thinking about a copperhead esc for one of my short course trucks, keep us pisted on your opinion of it!
How do you have the diffs/spools set up in your ryft?
I set up the diffs stock. I am curious to see if they are as bad as I've heard or if they actually hold up to a little abuse.

I set up the diffs stock. I am curious to see if they are as bad as I've heard or if they actually hold up to a little abuse.
That’s one part on my RTR Ryft I’ve been concerned about. I know there’s a BIG difference between axial and redcat but the diffs were the first thing to fail on our gen7 crawlers, granted they were plastic and simple swap for metal diffs housings while keeping the stock gears was the fix, I’m definitely concerned that the Ryft diffs/spools could fail

I just took it out for a test run on 2s. For what it is built for, I think 2s is perfect. It has decent speed in low gear and is pretty squirrelly but controllable in 2nd gear. 3s would be crazy and 4s would be ballistic with this setup. You would have to make sure and get a standard capacity battery and check dimensions if you plan on going 3s or 4s. I have both, but mine do not fit. This thing likes to traction roll, but that is to be expected. It gets up and over stuff pretty easily and does bounce around like the 1:1 versions I have seen.

I just took it out for a test run on 2s. For what it is built for, I think 2s is perfect. It has decent speed in low gear and is pretty squirrelly but controllable in 2nd gear. 3s would be crazy and 4s would be ballistic with this setup. You would have to make sure and get a standard capacity battery and check dimensions if you plan on going 3s or 4s. I have both, but mine do not fit. This thing likes to traction roll, but that is to be expected. It gets up and over stuff pretty easily and does bounce around like the 1:1 versions I have seen.
Yeah 3s is pretty wild. The guy that got me into the rc hobby went and picked one up today, trying to get him to put his on 4s lmao. I agree with checking the battery dimensions as the spektrum smart battery that the radio has the charge level indicator on will not fit and that’s down right frustrating

1 thing to note... The hot-racing servo saver is complete GARBAGE! Don't waste your money on it. It has a lot of play because the shaft insert that connects the halves together has a really loose tolerance, which equates to the servo not being able to center and it can randomly steer off course. Really bad design!
20230528_142529.jpg

I used a different style hot racing servo saver in my granite, and it too was a pile of aluminum garbage. Went to a plastic kimbrough one instead

I just ordered one from Treal and it looks promising

I guess I will give the stock one a try while I am am waiting on the one from Treal.
EDIT: The stock servo savor broke while running on 2s in low gear...literally minutes into its first run. The metal ring broke.
20230528_161853.jpg

Last edited:
I can tell I’m definitely a newbie to this caliber of RCs haha. I’ve taken my Ryft out a few times and haven’t had any issues but I’ve also been fairly gentle with it as I’m still getting used to something with that much power and I know if I get too cocky I’m gong to break something. I’m out of town working but once I’m home I’m certainly going to put it through it paces at my local crawl/bash spot, prob going to break something for sure 😬😬😬

This was a pretty fun build! Everything went together smoothly for the most part. ...

1685386004243.png
I love that stance! A part of me is having Yeti flashbacks, and that's a good thing. Big tires, and long travel suspension... awesome. I know that if I were to get a Ryft, I'd try and drive it like a desert buggy and would just topple over in the corners most of the time. It's still on my wish list though!

Last edited:
Back