Charlie's All Out Comp Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow charlie this one looks great too!!! how far off is it from done, just electronics?

Yeap pretty much. I mounted the tranny and driveshafts last night, I just haven't put up and pictures yet. I might put a quark ESC and one of my outrunners in it and give it a test run in the living room. My handwound 35 turn motor should be here Tuesday or Wednesday, and my DX3R should be here Monday or Tuesday.

Right now I'm tearing my hooby room apart trying to find my Losi springs. I bought three pairs of yellow Losi springs so I could have them for my other rigs as well, because now that I've seen the way these Losi shocks work, I will run nothing but Losi shocks on my crawlers, and I will run Losi shocks on everyone of my other RC's if it's at all possible. These shocks are about 10 times easier to build and setup than any other shock that I've built, which includes Traxxaas, HPI (several different sizes and styles), Integy, Axial, Associated, and probably some others that I'm not thinking about. Not only are they so easy to set up, but they work about 50 times better than any other shocks that I've ever had. They make the integy shocks feel like there is sandpaper on the shaft, just because the Losi's are so smooth.

dude i think we need a pic of your hobbie room as well lol.

Well it's messy now, but I will probably spend the afternoon getting it reorganized and stuff, and I'll take a picture of it then. It's still a work in progress though, I still have some shelves to build and things like that, but when I have spare time I try to build my RC's, so the hobby room has taken a back seat to my crawlers. I'm getting ready to start on another new axial next week, and I have some REALLY sick ideas for it. It wont perform quite as well as this comp rig that I'm working on, but it's going to be absolutely beautiful.

I enjoy seeing the progress on this build. A really nice job, Charlie. And by the way, thanks for the earlier tip on Fastenal for solid brass bar stock for the Ugly Truckling frame. They ordered it for me and had it 2 days later, from Minnesota. $10 bucks a foot, but I only needed 2 feet, since all the cross members will be hollow stock and I got it locally.

Well now the hobby rooms really a mess. Thanks to a faulty charger and my being too comfortable and trusting my chargers without double checking, (which I just threw away) the peak detection never shut the charger down and I had a 3300 nimh battery explode in my hobby room. Of course, it happened when my parents were home and they freaked out. Now I have a huge mess to clean up.

Mostly just soot and black powder all over the room. My LiPo that was charging in the same area was in a LiPo sack thank goodness (maybe I should invest in another one) and I pretty much charge my batteries away from my other stuff just in case something like this should happen.

atleast it wasn't on ur crawler lol.

Yeah I made absolutely sure not to charge any batteries near my crawlers just in case.

I just ordered my servo for this project. I got the new Hitec 7955 Titanium Gear ultra torque programmable servo, 333 oz/in of torque. I figured that should be plenty, and I will soon be ordering the hitec servo programmer so I'm going to try and go with all hitec digital servos, unless they do me bad, in which case I'll go to JR.

dang man, that sucks about the battery blowing up. rig is looking good tho. If i can sell off my tc5 i'll try to keep up with your build. haha
I did the exact same savage mod to my losi crawler shocks. It was like 8 bux for a whole shock rebuild sheet of parts.
Looking good and keep those pics coming.

Well I found my Losi springs. I tore my hooby room apart yesterday (and put it partially back together before the blast, now I gotta tear into again, grrrr), I finally found my yellow springs. I was just looking in the wrong place, they were on the mail truck lol. I thought I had received them because I remembered seeing the return address on a package I opened. I did not realize that I had bought stuff from the same seller on ebay two days apart. I get 3-4 packages a day in the mail for my RC's and parts from ebay, so it's hard to keep up with everything. In fact, I've started a shipping a receiving list to keep up with whats coming in and whats not showing up, etc... I'm about to start bending my links, installing some longer screws that I got into the shock mounts, and install the yellow shocks.

I just ordered my servo for this project. I got the new Hitec 7955 Titanium Gear ultra torque programmable servo, 333 oz/in of torque. I figured that should be plenty, and I will soon be ordering the hitec servo programmer so I'm going to try and go with all hitec digital servos, unless they do me bad, in which case I'll go to JR.

I just received the same servo for my Axial.

I have a servo and some other misc. parts, but no truck.

Servocity has the servos on asle for about $90 right now, and the 5955tg on sale for $85. They were about $120 at tower. Rob, why don't you have a truck yet?

It's on backorder. I don't expect to have everything to together for my project for several weeks so I don't mind waiting.

Tower is definitely not the place to get servos. Servo City has always had great prices and sales. I was able to find a brand new one on feebay for a little less so I jumped on it.

That's good to hear. I just haven't had very good luck with tower. Everytime I find something on Tower, I check ebay or the crawler stores, and always find it a good bit cheaper. I have yet to find something that Tower was the cheapest on.

whats the latest? Get those shafts in yet? My front axle is super smooth. I still can't believe it bent the mip cross shaft.

Whats the best link setup at the axle for the uppers?

I've got it in roller status. Tomorrow I will install the MIP CVD's, and all my new electronics. I also have my DX3R for it. I will be making some trial runs with it tomorrow, most likely in the house. It's probably going to be raining, and I hate to get it dirty, and I WONT get it wet.

Some people like the 4 link in the rear and some don't. Personally, I think the best setup is to use the 3 link, and place a spacer where the 3 link connector meets the axle and use a longer bolt. This turns the pinion up and extends the upper link, which helps to eliminate axle twist and rear steer.

Back