HPIn slipper clutch hub

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midialan2000

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi to everyone, I want to thank all the good people for help on my last post, many thanks. My problem is that the slipper clutch hub had melted on my son's HPI rush evo Does anyone know if it's possible to make do with any other hub even if a little modding is needed? Any suggestion's most welcome.
Regards Alan.

Many thanks once again Nitro4910, your knowledge goes a long way and your help much appreciated. Cheers for now take care ;)

Hi again Nitro4910, I managed to get a hub from a UK Ebay seller thanks to yourself. Do you know If when I fit the new aluminium hub If I will still need the old metal plate or will that be redundant? Thanks once again i owe you a beer or three ;) Cheers. Alan.

It looks like you use just the HD hub, and no longer need the steel slipper plate like you do with the plastic hub.

You still have to use the slipper pad on the back of the spur gear though.

Thanks once again @Nitro4910 for your valuable information. cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nitro4910 hope your well, I've managed to track all my parts down for my rush evo thanks to your help. My question is: 1 the two slipper pads do i use only one at the back of the spur gear as two came in the pack? 2 do i just force down the pads or are they glued down at the back of the spur?
Regards Alan

Some HPI spurs used two slipper pads, if you newer spur doesn't use the front slipper plate then no you don't need it. It's like the savages for a time they all came with that front slipper plate, then HPI came out with those one piece spurs that only require one now.

They are stickie on one side, you have to remove the film like a bumper sticker.

Many thanks for your reply ALEXANDER 0 1, I was a little confused as when i purchased new pads i got 2 and as my old setup totally melted i don't know if there was one or two pads!! I've bought a new aluminium hub, a new spur from a third party maker as HPI have stopped making items for the rush. I didn't know the pads was self adhesive, I think everything melted because the spur worked loose! Do you think it would be wise to fit a second lock nut on the spur as I'm worried if the same thing happens again, as spare parts for the rush are becoming a little rare these days?
Regards Alan (novice) ;)

I would definately get a new Nylock nut for the slipper shaft, and also replace it anytime it doesn't seem to be holding any longer.
If theres enough room on the slipper shaft you could put a thin jamb nut on it, but you may not have the space for it.
You should be able to get a couple of replacement locknuts locally, put the spares in your go box.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Nitro4910, yes there is enough room to fit a second lock nut i will make sure the two are fully locked. Alexander_0_1 said that sometimes two slpper pads are used, I presume that the rush evo only uses one, is this correct? he also says the pads are self adhesive, will that adhesion be sufficient do you know? Thanks again.
Regards Alan.

It look like the rush shares parts with the savage, one of which being the spur gears, so on the backside of your spur there will be a slight indentation, that matches the slipper pad thats where you'll stick the the new pad. It will be constantly be under pressure from the spring and lock nut and be sandwiched between the new hub and spur, so it won't move, instead it will most likely wear down over time (don't worry you'll notice the slipping sound).

As for the use of dual slipper pads its only if your spur is installed like this: http://www.hpiracing.com/en/how-to-fit-a-steel-spur-set-to

Pics/steps. 1, 2, and 3 give you an example of a spur that uses dual slipper pads. If the front of your spur bares any resemblance to the one in the instructions Nitro4910 provided for you then you will use a single slipper pad on the rear of the spur, or the side facing the engine. installation is close to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th pic of step 5 of the instructions that I provided. Just mimic with your spur instead.

Side note: If you find the spur with the replaceable teeth in pic/step 5 (purple hub w/screws) pass it by, the screws were known to come out, and destroy a clutch bell.......I don't even think HPI produces it anymore.

Last edited:
Hi Alexander 0 1 many thanks for your valuable advice its much appreciated. I think i have my confidence to put the rush back on the road now. I wish id have gone for the savage parts, replacement rush evo spur just cost me £20! they saw me coming. Savage spur gear everywhere from £6 upwards. One last question what is the recommendations when tightening the nut on the spur? do i tighten all the way then back off one turn? what would you recommend? Many thanks once again to yourself and all the other nitro heads i really appreciate all the help ;)
R

When tightening the lock nut on the spur it's common to tighten it all the way, and then back it off anywhere from 1/4-1/2 turns.

Thanks again Alexander 0 1, i owe you a pint or two ;) Cheers.

No problem, I'm not into drinking, but I appreciate the warm sentiment. Just remember to share the info. Make the hobby pleasant for new guys.