Traxxas Stampede - Loose Motor Screw

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laughinglion

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

Just finished building a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 with my son as our first RC car, tested but within a few minutes it ground to a halt - worked out pretty quickly that it had lost drive from the motor.

Opened up the Gear Cover and could see the pinion gear had moved away from the clutch drive hub, I've moved them back together and tried to tighten the screw holding the motor plate in place but can't seem to get it tight - the screw just spins. Seems pretty obvious that the motor will therefore continue to move and disengage from the clutch - any suggestions on how to get it solid and locked in?

Thanks!

Buy another grub screw and when you reinstall it make sure to use Loctite 242 (blue) on the set screw to keep it from backing off.

Grub screws
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxa...yGwMj3JRxyR4kq2FFDxyCo7rZE106I6saAnRvEALw_wcB

Loctite Heavy Duty Threadlocker, 0.2 oz, Blue 242, Single https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1RSNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_2XD1DQ4BV7NJ06WHEZ0B

But the most important thing when dealing with small set screws is use good tools. Any cheap allen wrench will strip them out.

To remove a stripped set screw, try a torx bit. The star pattern will usually get a better bite in them.

Last edited:
It's always a good idea to let it sit for 24 hours after using the Loctite.

Hi,

Just finished building a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 with my son as our first RC car, tested but within a few minutes it ground to a halt - worked out pretty quickly that it had lost drive from the motor.

Opened up the Gear Cover and could see the pinion gear had moved away from the clutch drive hub, I've moved them back together and tried to tighten the screw holding the motor plate in place but can't seem to get it tight - the screw just spins. Seems pretty obvious that the motor will therefore continue to move and disengage from the clutch - any suggestions on how to get it solid and locked in?

Thanks!
Welcome to RCT. Any time you work on a RC. Like the guys said above use blue loctite 242. Metal to metal. Especially on motor mounts, pinions, motor plates. Anything that has alot of stress on it at all times. Any other questions just ask, theres never a dumb question. Guys here are always willing to help out 👍👍

Thanks guys - aha, that's new news! Please tell me we don't have to take it apart and add the Loctite?

You put the Loctite on the set screw and put it in. No need to pull anything apart, but make sure to inspect everything. I find it's best to let the Loctite setup on the screw before installing. Put a drop of Loctite on the screw, but don't put it on the first couple threads if you can help it. This helps get it started in the hole easier. Let it set up, then install.

Thanks again. Have just found the issue - letting a 10 year old install elements without checking! I was looking at the hole behind the bit where the motor screw goes in, wondering why it was there, and also read about Loctite being for metal-to-metal use, but got confused as there was nothing metal for the screw to attach to.

Traced back through the manual and realised we didn't add the locking nut - doh! No surprise the motor screw wasn't staying tight, it wasn't screwed into anything except the plastic of the motor mount itself 😂

Thanks for helping me problem solve - now just wondering what else we've missed....

Thanks again. Have just found the issue - letting a 10 year old install elements without checking! I was looking at the hole behind the bit where the motor screw goes in, wondering why it was there, and also read about Loctite being for metal-to-metal use, but got confused as there was nothing metal for the screw to attach to.

Traced back through the manual and realised we didn't add the locking nut - doh! No surprise the motor screw wasn't staying tight, it wasn't screwed into anything except the plastic of the motor mount itself 😂

Thanks for helping me problem solve - now just wondering what else we've missed....

Lol. I have been trying to teach my kiddo to build RC cars. It's a lot of fun. But yeah, ya gotta be eagle eyed sometimes.

Oh yeah missing nuts will do it ever time. Glad you were able to see the problem. I would still put a little bit of loctite on that screw bud. Even if it's a lock nut.. nice job if your wondering I would just give it a once over to make sure. Better to be safe then break something that could have been prevented..👍👍