Hpi K 5.9 or Picco .28 w/Pilot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zapper26

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey Guys I have a savage 25, A few mods, 3 speed tranny,Dual Fiberglass Brake Disc. I have the stock .25 engine, and 2 f4.6s, the one 4.6 needs to be rebuilt and I have WRXTL21B6 Team Line .21 B6 Off-Road Comp Engine, Its still in the box and I'm not going to use it, I'm selling it to a friend. The question is should I go Hpi K 5.9 or Picco .28 w/Pilot or lrp Z.28R Spec 3 or the lrp ZR.32 Spec.2 PS Engine. I'd like some info on this if possible.
My f4.6 is geared for power 16-52 that it stripped the hex nuts on the inside of the rims. whooomppp whooompp.
Pm me or insite me on your thought
thanks
zapper 26

All I can say is I'm loving my LRP.32 in my Savage XL. Waaaay better than the 5.9.

I would ask Robin from ERCM, look under the vendor section of these forums. He is probably the most knowledgeable guy I know about nitro engines.

I agree with greywolf. Robin at ERCM has the most experience modding and running all these mills I'm sure.

Nothing else, go for LRP engines.

The Picco .28 would be top choice, but any of the LRPs would be right up there, if not equal as well. It would be criminal to spend money on a new HPI 5.9 when you can have an engine that is 100X better for the same or even less money.

The Picco .28 is the fastest of the engines you listed. It also has the most modding potential because they are timed very conservative from factory.

The LRP.32 has a ton of torque designed to throw MTs around easily, but the power curve is in the lower mid range, where the Picco makes more power in the midto upper RPM range. The Picco still has enough low end power to hang killer wheelies.

Robin at ERCM is the nitro master and a good friend. He will give you the same answer.

My LRP.32 in my XL has been great no problems at all and lots of power , here is a couple pic's of the same truck just differnt set up's , din't take long for the LRP 32 to become my favert basher engine:D
100_2750.jpg
[/IMG]
100_2796.jpg
[/IMG]
100_2464.jpg

100_2374.jpg

Last edited:
picco quality is better than LRP. what flavor of LRP do you want? Losi454(orange head), SH 28(silver head),nosram 28(red head), LRP 28(blue head). your choice, different color head. piccos are piccos
if ya really want to take a chance get a novarossi.

Picco has had some quality control problems going on all over the world , am not putting picco down just going by facts you can read it all over the net , I have 3 picco's 2 of them I had to send back and one out of the two I had to send back 2 time's

I've had 4 LRP28S2's and have yet to have an issue with them. Run one in my savage X and one in my revo now. Great engines that last many many gallons and put out great usable power.

The HPI engine that came in my X I think is/was on it's last leg. Wouldn't tune for crap, tried swapping the carb with a trusty dynamite carb, but to no avail, once warmed up, tune was all over the map. Pretty much no feelable pinch left with the glowplug out, guessing it's due for a service. May fuss with it over the winter some. When running it though, it seemed to be very ON/OFF in regards to power. Like dropping a hammer every time you pull the throttle. Not a whole lot of variance through the throttle range.

hi, first post here, i realise this is a bit of an old thread,

i have run two 5.9 engines in my savage xl, one old that came with the truck and one brand new, the new one was much better but still not that impressed. it may have been down to the mid tank lean that i never really totally found a solution to as i didnt want to do the mid tank mod.

i have just bought the LRP zr.32, and from the research i have done it looks like a real good engine for general bashing in an xl

I have an Losi 454 (which is a rebadged LRP .28 spec 3) in my Losi XXL and I think it has plenty of torque so I've stayed with that rather than going up to the .32's cuz from what i read the .32's just give you more torque but not necessarily more speed. I believe the Picco's are generally considered more worthy of being modded for extra power from what I've read but I believe that are also more expensive. The LRP .28 spec 3 is worth modding too though if its a little more budget friendly.

i think that could be true greywolf as the .32 engine doesn't rev as high as the smaller engines, the LRP zr.30 x competition was nearly my choice for my xl but i only bash around on the beach and up and down sand dunes so a bit of extra grunt wont hurt

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/nitro-engines/