How to solder battery leads

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny story, Very first LiPo I ever bought that i had to change connectors on was a 6S pack and I cut both wires at teh same time! I dont even know what I was thinking lol. Needless to say I about crapped my pants. It took a chunk out of my dykes and ruined a brand new 6S packs. Live and learn lol.

Funny story, Very first LiPo I ever bought that i had to change connectors on was a 6S pack and I cut both wires at teh same time! I dont even know what I was thinking lol. Needless to say I about crapped my pants. It took a chunk out of my dykes and ruined a brand new 6S packs. Live and learn lol.
We've all been there. I soldered the wrong end on the battery then use come channel locks to seat the plastic shroud. It would have been find but I had the male end on the battery. That was a surprise.

We've all been there. I soldered the wrong end on the battery then use come channel locks to seat the plastic shroud. It would have been find but I had the male end on the battery. That was a surprise.
I bought a new car off of ebay not too long ago, and when I got it everything looked great so I went to charge the battery that the guy sold with it and I realized the battery had a male connector on it 🤣 checked the esc and sure enough it had a female connector. Luckily I had some extra XT90's lying around to solder on

Thanks for all the help, did my first soldering yesterday and I didn’t blow anything up (hopefully it stays that way on the other 15 or so batterys) I am by no means a professional but I would say it’s not half bad? I dont know what do you think? So far I did my ESC and a single battery, going to do more over the next couple days

3031344E-CC29-4ED3-B429-A6482B4A66B5.jpeg

A3964E1F-0E4D-49E4-AD55-DB981498AD75.jpeg

A8F7E08D-4A0C-4710-912A-F606A8AC732C.jpeg

That looks good for a couple first soldering jobs. Heres when my uncle did my bullet connectors for the buggy. Not the greatest but it works out. When I do a full rebuild on the car ill probably re-solder them.
PXL_20230117_225823054.jpg

That looks good for a couple first soldering jobs. Heres when my uncle did my bullet connectors for the buggy. Not the greatest but it works out. When I do a full rebuild on the car ill probably re-solder them. View attachment 162120
put some heat tubing on them damn things and make it look purdy! put black tubing on the black wire and put red tubing on the red wire

Thanks for all the help, did my first soldering yesterday and I didn’t blow anything up (hopefully it stays that way on the other 15 or so batterys) I am by no means a professional but I would say it’s not half bad? I dont know what do you think? So far I did my ESC and a single battery, going to do more over the next couple days

View attachment 162117

View attachment 162118

View attachment 162119
Those solder joints look pretty cold. Make sure to keep an eye on the temp of your battery cables. Cold solder joints will cause them to melt.

put some heat tubing on them damn things and make it look purdy! put black tubing on the black wire and put red tubing on the red wire
Thats what I plan to do on my buggy when I do a full rebuild. I actually have a full heat shrink tube kit full of different sizes that I haven't used yet.

I don't actually have a red heatsink but I'll leave the red cap on. Cause I don't want to fry up my $160 esc.