How many washers should I use in my glow plug?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlobbia

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I've always had this question and never asked it, so here it goes. How many washers should I use for my glow plug? Since I had an engine that ran a regular length but I switched to long reach, and I don't know whether I should use a bunch of washers to compensate. Is there a rule of thumb, like have it flush with the headbutton part? Thanks.

The tip of the plug should be flush with the inside of the dome/burn room where it comes through the head/head button. You would have to pull the head and experiment a bit to see how many works best.

The tip of the plug should be flush with the inside of the dome/burn room where it comes through the head/head button. You would have to pull the head and experiment a bit to see how many works best.
Thanks, that was what I was thinking. Like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20201109_151910.jpg
    IMG_20201109_151910.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 91
Probalby needs one more. The face of the plug should be flush with the top of the dome where it comes in, it shounld't protrude.

Not a good idea to use more than 1,use specified plug.more washers mean more problems.

^ what... ok dont you guys do some more exact measuring when do these type of mods.ie using A extended glow plug?.wouldn't using a simple set of calipers and a machined bloc be helpful..?or am i putting to extra 3 seconds of work into this that you all dont have the time for?.or dont you have the tools to do so?

^ what... ok dont you guys do some more exact measuring when do these type of mods.ie using A extended glow plug?.wouldn't using a simple set of calipers and a machined bloc be helpful..?or am i putting to extra 3 seconds of work into this that you all dont have the time for?.or dont you have the tools to do so?
Lol I would love to do that... But I have no idea how to. If you know a tutorial shoot me a link.

I've always had this question and never asked it, so here it goes. How many washers should I use for my glow plug? Since I had an engine that ran a regular length but I switched to long reach, and I don't know whether I should use a bunch of washers to compensate. Is there a rule of thumb, like have it flush with the headbutton part? Thanks.

What engine is this in question? and what exact plug came out of it? long reach is same length as standard, just different terms "long reach" typically coined by traxxas. typically they are called "long/standard", Most o.s. plugs are short reach, and all of their engines are as well aside from the O.S. .21TM as it was designed to use long/standard plugs like traxxas for the EZ-start nub on it.
typically you only want a single copper washer, mainly they are there to seal the plug, but also as a spacer in turn.

What engine is this in question? and what exact plug came out of it? long reach is same length as standard, just different terms "long reach" typically coined by traxxas. typically they are called "long/standard", Most o.s. plugs are short reach, and all of their engines are as well aside from the O.S. .21TM as it was designed to use long/standard plugs like traxxas for the EZ-start nub on it.
typically you only want a single copper washer, mainly they are there to seal the plug, but also as a spacer in turn.
This one is an ofna 32 with I think a long reach. Should be using a standard but oh well.

I would say only use 1 and never any more than that unless you want problems