Hota d6 pro and 6s lipos questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So i just goty first set of 6s lipos, so this is my first time charging them. They are 60c 6000mah hoovo brand. Set the charger up at 6amps, and the one side read 6.0amps the other was 2.0. so i stopped the charge to make sure the other battery was good. Checked out ok started the charge again. This time the readings were flip flopped. I am assuming i have reached the max output on ac , but i just want to confirm

Yeah, on AC the D6 pro is limited to 200W. Charging a 6S lipo at 6A is going to use about 150W which only leaves you 50W roughly left over for the second channel. You really need to run it on DC power to get the most out of it.

Yeah, on AC the D6 pro is limited to 200W. Charging a 6S lipo at 6A is going to use about 150W which only leaves you 50W roughly left over for the second channel. You really need to run it on DC power to get the most out of it.
Ok thank you, just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong

Ok thank you, just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong
NP, if you decide you want to switch over to DC power supply one of these days let me know. I have a link or two where you can get a good price on one.

NP, if you decide you want to switch over to DC power supply one of these days let me know. I have a link or two where you can get a good price on one.

Come on, you can't throw that out in a forum - let's see those links to some decent DC power (please).

So i just goty first set of 6s lipos, so this is my first time charging them. They are 60c 6000mah hoovo brand. Set the charger up at 6amps, and the one side read 6.0amps the other was 2.0. so i stopped the charge to make sure the other battery was good. Checked out ok started the charge again. This time the readings were flip flopped. I am assuming i have reached the max output on ac , but i just want to confirm
A 1C charge rate on one 6S 6000mAh LiPo pack will require a certain amount of wattage: https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/chargercalc.html
1671380973722.png

When I go looking for a charger, or recommending one, I try and get a charger with more power than I need. I used to do the whole 1C charge rate thing when first got into LiPo batteries, but for the past six years or so I do 2C charge rates. 6S packs and 2C charge rates... a charger needs a good bit of power to get things done ;) .

Just to add: If you want to get the most out of your Hota charger (325w per channel) you'll need a 24v DC power supply. If you were to use a 12v DC power supply, I'm pretty sure you would only be able to get about 165 watts per channel.
Come on, you can't throw that out in a forum - let's see those links to some decent DC power (please).
I'm not comfortable enough (at the moment) to do my own 24v DC power supply modification, but for about $20 a person can simply do a 12v server power supply mod if they have any soldering skills.
20170730_151140.jpg
20170817_155106.jpg

IMG_20211003_131306736.jpg
IMG_20211003_131057792.jpg

20200803_151321.jpg

Last edited:
You can still get the full wattage out of the HOTA on 12V its just gonna pull more amperage to do it. Running it at 24V will only pull half as many amps meaning cooler operation which in turn will mean long life span for the charger. I mean, assuming that your pushing it to the limit all of the time.

Yup 200W isn't much in today world of mega batteries. At least it's smart enough to cut it off, some of the older chargers would let you burn it up.

I'm using a Ultra Power UP6+, which is like a Hobbymate D6/Hota clone. It's 300W on AC and 600W with and external supply. If you are going to be using the big batteries I would upgrade.

You can still get the full wattage out of the HOTA on 12V its just gonna pull more amperage to do it. Running it at 24V will only pull half as many amps meaning cooler operation which in turn will mean long life span for the charger. I mean, assuming that your pushing it to the limit all of the time.
I maxed out both my chargers on 12 volts, and could only get 165~168 watts/channel on the D6, and 348~352 watts on the H6 Pro. 🤷‍♂️

I maxed out both my chargers on 12 volts, and could only get 165~168 watts/channel on the D6, and 348~352 watts on the H6 Pro. 🤷‍♂️
They must have some amperage limiter inside of it then preventing it from damaging itself. Good to know. I was not aware of that.

Back