Hey Guys, Thinking About Getting A Savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macca Pacca

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello, Since Christmas I've Been Saving My Christmas Money And Pocket Money And Have Decided To Get A New Nitro. At The Moment I Have A Hard Decesion, I've Bought Used Before And I've Had A Load Of Problems With My Used Truck. So I Was Wondering Weather To Try Again With A Used Savage Or A New Savage 3.5. Thanks, Macca;)

Unless you know the seller and completely trust them,you're better off to go new if you want the least amount of trouble. You won't be disappointed with a new Savage. The only issue with new is the break-in of the new engine can be a bit frustrating too. Take your time to do that right and you're set IMO.

WoW thanks for the quick reply Racer I know about the break in system and i know it takes a while but I'm prepared to take it onboard. So if I'm getting a new savage i would be getting the 3.5, Is there anything i should know about the 3.5? Also i forgot to mention i will propbably on be bashing and playing around on flat carparks, Hope this helps.

The main issues out of box for the Savage are:

1. Weak steering servo - I recommend upgrading as soon as you can.
2. Check all the screws to make sure they're tight out of the box,loctite the grub screws in the drive cups at the diffs. They're usually the first to be lost.
3. If it doesn't have already,you'll need to upgrade to the 4-gear diffs. I'm not familiar with the 3.5 version,I think it's the same as our .21 here that came with 2-gear diffs.
4 Brakes are usually weak too. When upgrading the steering,put the stock steering servo in place of the stock throttle/brake servo.

Other than that,it's a solid truck with plenty of hop-ups available when you want them.

Okay I take it the most reliable model is the savage x 4.6? I've hear very good thingss about it but i can't afford it at the moment. But i have a team associated 4.60 and i bought it used and i must have spent £150 ($200) + :angry:

i own a savage 4.6 and i have to say i love this truck, but i did buy a savage .25 used and it gave me terrible service, if you don't know how someone's treated it, then don't buy a used one. the one i bought had really been abused, and i replaced just about everything before it finally blew up. the one i purchased new is a awesome truck, but i take good care of it so if ya know where it came from and who owned it before then a used one might be ok. but in my opinion if ya can, start with a new one. you'll be glad you did. kdogg

Back