hey guys can ya help me troubleshoot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro_desert

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok i took my baja ss out to the desert yesterday ..it ran for a 10 seconds then it turned off...i kept trying to start it and prime it like a million times and i pulled the cord more than 50 times....well i gave up and thought it wuz the plug....well i got home and checked on the plug...it was black and worn out...so i put a new one in and tried to start it but it wont start...(is the engine drowned??) i had it on choke while starting it btw.....umm it was low on battery at that time if that has to do with anything..,,so what do you think is wrong with it?

if it has some type of fail safe, low battery voltage would surely make it not start. i dont know much about the gasser trucks or buggys. but if you flooded it you would have to take off the main fuel line going to the engine and let the extra fuel out. also make sure you using the right fuel:eek:il ratio, that would also make it hard to start.

hope that helps, cuz like i said I'm not into the big gassers like that but i do know a little about small 2 stroke/4 stroke engines like weed eaters, lawn mowers and bike engines and stuff like that. so i hope some of my info helps.

a black plug would also mean that your tune is on the rich side. try leaning it up a little and see if that helps. and charge those BATTERIES!!!

well charged the batteries and it still wont start! ermmm after i take off the main fuel line...then what do i do?

ok i took off the plug turned the car over and pulled the pull start like 20 times...i look on the floor i can black oil... so ok i put the __new__ plug back on and tried starting it again with the choke down...one thing i relized is the fuel in the fuel line and the carb doesn't seem to go anywere even if i pull the pull start..it only moves when i squeeze the bulb...does that have to do with anything?

I'm not sure if its the same thing but a lot of 2 strokes have a 3 phase choke and you move it from full to half choke after about 3 pulls. Your fuel will not pump until the engine is running. You can also try checking the plug to make sure it is firing.( take it out, ground it to the head and pull the starter cord a couple of times) If its got spark then manually prime the engine with a couple drops of fuel before you replace the plug. Hope this helps. Good Luck

ok its runing did a lil trick of leaning it out then starting it
turns out the engine was flooded...so now the big question is whats the factory needle settings

if the plug fouled out, and you kept trying to start chock on, its most likeling flooded severly. you ll have to go thru the unflooding process maybe a few times to get it to start to fire up. once flooded these motor are a BEAR to restart. its usually easier to get your wife to commit to a 3some with her hot cousin before the motor will want to fire up again once severly flooded.

the 10 seconds and shut down has me concerned you may of lean siezed the motor.
take the exhaust off and look into the cylinder. look at the piston on the lower right side of the exhaust port. if you see nastiness, or scratches/scoring, you may very well have lean siezed the motor.

if it has some type of fail safe, low battery voltage would surely make it not start.

Low batteries have nothing to do with the engine running unless you connect a failsafe to the engine kill switch.

ok its runing did a lil trick of leaning it out then starting it
turns out the engine was flooded...so now the big question is whats the factory needle settings

1 1/4 (1.25) turns out low speed needle;
1 1/2 (1.5) turns out high speed needle

Reading the truck's manual won't hurt you, especially the engine starting/tuning explanation.

Back