Help with Hpi Firestorm!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmjaggi

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am a newbie and I request help. My practically new Firestorm was working reasonably ok till I found that the engine was stopping and hard to pull start. An over enthusiastic yank on the pullstarter cord prevented its retraction. I removed the pullstarter and the one way bearing(OWB) under it. Discovered a tutorial at the HPI site on rebuilding the pullstarter and did it using the OWB to wind the spring as directed.

The pullstarter on its own seems to be fine. When the cord is pulled the hexagonal OWB holder in it, moves anticlockwise. I had forgotten to note the direction of the OWB on the shaft, but the manual shows the bearing's end which protrudes from the hexagonal nut is towards the engine. When I mount it like this the OWB moves freely in the anticlockwise direction and does not move at all in the clockwise direction. When I put the pullstarter on this, the pullstarter does not pull at all since the OWB is not moving at all. When I mount the OWB with the protruding end towards the front of the shaft, then the fingers can rotate the OWB with a slight load and a clicking sound now and then when moved anticlockwise, and freely when moved clockwise. There is no compression obviously when I mount the pullstarter on top this way.

May I ask for help on this to know what have I done wrong. Is it also possible that the engine is jammed since when I try to move the flywheel under the chassis with my fingers, I cannot do so. If so how do I release the piston.

My problem is compunded by the fact that I am in New Delhi India and RC is not very popular and nor are parts easily available. Though that in itself poses an interesting challenge when repairs are needed.

Thank you for any help

Did you take out the glow plug and try turning the engine over? If it's flooded, fuel could have it locked up and you should be able to take out the glow plug, turn it over and dump the fuel out, and then try to turn it over while the plug is out.

I would clean the engine and head before removing the glow plug so you don't get any dirt and debris falling in the glow plug hole.

The OWB is only supposed to move one way. Hence the name. It's supposed to go on so that when you look at the backplate straight on it rotates counterclockwise and locks clockwise.

Back