New parts on HPI Firestorm; truck is worse!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairy W Bush

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I discovered the entire spur gear and clutch assembly down to the flywheel was bad, save for the bell housing. Prior to this, the truck ran a little weird, but still moved and idled. Now the truck will NOT hold still. It is taking off at only an idle. I've been meaning to tune it better now that I have a thermometer but it was hard to start so of course I probably messed that up. But the idle gap is right and it does sound like a normal low idle. The clutch bell spins perfectly freely. There is no tugging whatsoever. I cannot find instructions on setting the spur gear spring tension, and I have tried everything from 1 turn out from coilbind all the way to just a little tension. NO DIFFERENCE. It is hard to start as well but that won't explain the issue. Lastly, the truck does not stop worth a damn. Adjusting the tensioner nut hardly does anything. It very well may be bad friction pads but I don't know, I don't think it was this bad when I first got it and it has very little run time with me.
New parts as as follows: Spur gear & friction discs, flywheel, bearings, 2-disc clutch, and I have everything installed within the #10032 assembly.

exploded view.png

If it is trying to move at idle thats usually from bad clutch shoes/springs or if you installed new ones you might want to double check the installation. Something there could be off.

it's installed exactly as shown. clutchbell spins freely. I wonder if I flip it.

it's installed exactly as shown. clutchbell spins freely. I wonder if I flip it.
I dont know what that could be. Only thing I've ever seen that made a nitro kit try to take off at idle was a busted clutch shoe/spring

I flipped the clutch around and same deal. Just wants to take off.
In the diagram, it shows washer assembly Z694 with 4 washers. I thought that was insane because I have 1 washer in there now and that's about as much play as my Savage has and that doesn't move! If I put 3 more washers there, with that length screw, there's hardly any threads for the screw. I measured the play and it's about .6mm of in and out play with I think is plenty!

Last edited:
I flipped the clutch around and same deal. Just wants to take off.
In the diagram, it shows washer assembly Z694 with 4 washers. I thought that was insane because I have 1 washer in there now and that's about as much play as my Savage has and that doesn't move! If I put 3 more washers there, with that length screw, there's hardly any threads for the screw. I measured the play and it's about .6mm of in and out play with I think is plenty!
I wish I knew. Never had one try and take off on me at idle unless it was a bad clutch. You sure you have the right shoes & spring(s) in the clutch?

Well what could be different about it other than the material? It's a Teflon shoe, and a spring I had to rob from an aluminum kit I have because the clutch did not come with a spring and the original was trashed. That HPI part #86869 is $30 plus shipping on ebay, otherwise discontinued. The one I bought is a 101047.

Well what could be different about it other than the material? It's a Teflon shoe, and a spring I had to rob from an aluminum kit I have because the clutch did not come with a spring and the original was trashed. That HPI part #86869 is $30 plus shipping on ebay, otherwise discontinued. The one I bought is a 101047.
If the shoes/springs are too light compared to the stock ones then the shoes could be expanding and catching the clutchbell at idle. If the shoes and springs are not stock or very similar to it then you may want to consider buying the stock ones.

Last edited:
I just swapped it over to the new aluminum shoes I have and no difference. The truck rolls great with no resistance. this is bizarre
I'm going to go get a few washers and report back. Those washers were not there to begin with btw.

Last edited:
I put it on without even running it the stupid thing is too tight so I was right. no play, no free spin. I don't know what that is all about in the diagram. Other than that the damn thing is set up right.

UPDATE: I took the shoe off of my RS4 and immediately knew the deal. I cannot expand that car's shoe without serious effort, and it doesn't take any effort to expand the new one. That would explain why this thing is grabbing at idle. Now I need to know where to get good springs.

Last edited:
Yea worst thing for me is buying new parts and things not working right. Tends to add to confusion. I put on a worn out set from a little engine I bought and sure enough it doesn't move. So, I'll be buying some springs.

Yea worst thing for me is buying new parts and things not working right. Tends to add to confusion. I put on a worn out set from a little engine I bought and sure enough it doesn't move. So, I'll be buying some springs.
Thats the RC hobby for ya :)

Back