Help Me Pick the Right ESC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
I read through the sticky about electric motors at the top, and used the search but couldn't find an answer easily.

The MERV I won on the bay does not have the original speed control in it, and as I'm planning on running 3s power I need to make sure I have an ESC that is capable of supporting that.

My question is, which dictates the amp draw of the system, the motor or ESC? The way I understand it from google searches, and lots of reading the ESC simply gives what the motor asks for, period. So, too low of an ESC rating, with the wrong motor, and you smoke the ESC. So that would seem that the motor dictates the power consumption of the two, and not the ESC, is that correct?

So according to the specs, the VXl 3m motor has a rating of 25A constant / 50A burst. But the ESC is rated at 52A continuous, with no mention of burst, only a peak of 326A. My packs that I would like to use, put out 55A (2200mah at 25C). So, if the specs on the motor are on the conservative side or not quite exact, I could be in trouble if I understand all this correctly. So can I simply order the VXL 3m ESC and be safe, or do I need to upgrade to have more overhead as I want to be on the safe side, and only buy once.

Thanks guys

Your motor should have an Amp draw or Wattage rating on it. If it list the amp draw then just get something that exceeds that amount by 10-20%. If your motor for examples says it continuous Amp draw is 90 get an ESC that can handle 100-120. The higher the safer you'll be. If your motor listed a wattage rating then divide your wattage by the voltage you plan on using on it to find your continuous Amp rating. Make sure your batteries C rating can handle the Continuous amp draw as well.

The ESC you are descibing should work fine. The peak is the same thing as burst and the continuous rating of that ESC is above the burst level of the motor. Shouldnt have any problem at all. Your batts likewise should supply sufficient power as well. All looks good from where I sit but I'm no expert. Anyone feel free to correct me.