Spektrum 150a esc limitations

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

na96ek

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Boating
Hey guys, new to the forum here and just got back into the hobby about a year ago after a 15 year hiatus. I currently own few r/c’s including a 6s Kraton V5 and recently got the idea to power a bandit using a similar power system, with the goal of having just a ridiculously overpowered bandit that I can bash hard and keep the temps down. I started off with a XL5 version and I’m currently upgrading and customizing as I go. My question is related to brushless esc’s as this is my first time ever piecing together a brushless combo. I have already ordered another spektrum 150a to use for this project but how do you determine the motor limits? I am planning on running a TP 3640 2950KV motor which is a 3674 can with a wind of 5D it claims max amps are 140a with a max voltage of 20V I plan to run this on 4s to keep it below its max limits. Is a motors amp draw the primary concern as far as being safe on the ESC ? I understand not overvolting the motor but I have read so many different things online it’s hard to gather what is really accurate information. Also, I know Arrma says to use this esc on 4-6s but Other sources say it will run on 3s, I have not seen it listed anywhere that it will run on 2s? I plan to do mostly 3s and 4s running but wanted to have the headroom to change the motor and go to 6s if I desired. Also I am curious can the 150a esc run smaller motor if I desired? So long as it is rated for 3s?

Last edited:
A 2950kv motor should be fine with a 150 amp ESC on 4s. If you dropped to around 1500 or lower or so you could run 6sand not worry about overheating at all. Not that you would anyway, Bandits are light. You’ll need every gear in the rig to be hardened steel, some steel axles (I like the Tekno M6 setup, cheap and rugged. Basically the same as MIP’s for less money) and probably a spool. You’ll break plenty of things with that power. Sounds like a fun project though.

So am I right to gather that lower KV with higher cells is actually easier on the esc? Is this just reduced amps? Aren’t amps related to power output? I suppose I’m just trying to get the jist of things so I can build to suit. I was going to just use the spektrum 2050kv motor but it won’t fit on the plastic trans case with out extensive cutting. Eventually this will get a FLM Mod 1 transmission, but for now it’s just been upgraded with the drag slash internal gears, we’ll see how long it lasts lol. I do need driveshafts next, is the Tekno M6 setup available for a bandit? I see a lot of different axles available for the rustler, stampede and slash width arms but much less for the shorter bandit arms, even traxxas doesn’t seem to make a bandit version of their steel cvds.

So am I right to gather that lower KV with higher cells is actually easier on the esc? Is this just reduced amps? Aren’t amps related to power output? I suppose I’m just trying to get the jist of things so I can build to suit. I was going to just use the spektrum 2050kv motor but it won’t fit on the plastic trans case with out extensive cutting. Eventually this will get a FLM Mod 1 transmission, but for now it’s just been upgraded with the drag slash internal gears, we’ll see how long it lasts lol. I do need driveshafts next, is the Tekno M6 setup available for a bandit? I see a lot of different axles available for the rustler, stampede and slash width arms but much less for the shorter bandit arms, even traxxas doesn’t seem to make a bandit version of their steel cvds.
I just saw some 36 and 40mm Poseidon motors good for 6s. Lower KV gives up a little rpm but runs cooler. I have a Max 6 combo in my Mojave, that’s a 150 amp ESC with a 1650kv 4985 can and it’s great on 6s.
Don’t know about the bandit driveshafts, but you could put Slash arms on it and Slash driveshafts if you wanted.

Load will create more current draw as well. So if your vehicle is a really light 1/10th scale and your putting 1/8th scale electronics in it, it should do fine even when geared pretty tall. You will likely be wasting your money on TP/Poseidon motors for something like that though.

I run a relatively cheap motor/esc in my slashpede 4x4 on 4S and it runs pretty cool even when pushed hard in the grass. I have an old BLX185 (150A 1/8th esc) and blx4074/2050kv motor in it, it's what arrma used to run in their 1/8th trucks. For offroad, it's barely controllable, but that's where I run it.

Maybe if your going for top speed with a speed rig, spending the $ on a higher end motor may work well for you, but for a basher, just getting the spektrum 1/8th system (what arrma runs now) in their 1/8th trucks should do fine.

My "slashpede 4x4" started as a stampede 4x4 vxl a few years back. I put the slash chassis on it to make it less twitchy in the air and to make it easier to put the 1/8th system in it since I was running hot with 3S with 1/10th system where I bash.
2022-0101-stampede-gpmBulks-side-frontHigh-electronics.jpg

I’m familiar with the Arrma 4074/2050KV it’s in my kraton 6s. Initially I wanted to just use one especially since they can be had for about $50 but they are little too large to fit in the stock plastic trans case without way too much trimming for my taste. The main reason for wanting to go with tp was because it was one of the only 3674 motors that I could find good specs on, I may end up putting it into my vendetta eventually aswell and I feel like it will fit good in there, too. Who are all the motor company’s making BL motors these days with a good selection? I’ve noticed castle seems to be exclusively sensored motors these days. I’m definitely open to cheaper options but I’m pretty attached to a 3674 size, I just want to have good KV options and be able to see the specs on them, most of the cheap motors I find are very vague on specs. I too had a 4X4 VXL pede and it always ran super hot on 3s, even geared down from stock running on asphalt, the vxl-3s system just seemed to lack the required power to me, that’s one of my main reasons for wanting to overpower, to keep the motors work load down and still be able to continually rip 😎

Could try a hobbystar, just might want to put new bearings in it before giving it the beans on 6S:
https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-3674-4-pole-brushless-sensorless-motor-v2-waterproof.html

I've run their 3660/3200kv and 3665/3100kv and they did ok in my eJato. I ran 4S in the 3665 for a bit and it did fine. I usually run it on 3S though. I run it pretty hard with a max10 sct pack after pack on 3S, no issues. It's a pretty "light" truck, but likely heavier than what your messing with since it was nitro with aluminum chassis to start with. If I had any temp issues in that, I'd try the 3670 or 3675, but it runs fine with a little 30mm cooler on the motor and the 25mm oem fan on the esc.

One of my later videos with it:

At this point, I’m going to say spend your money on a good ESC and get a cheap motor. Most of them do not suck. And even if the life expectancy might be a little less, it’s still worth it to buy the motor you need with the specs you want from BangGood for 40-60 bucks. And guess what? It’ll probably last just as long as a brand name. Castle ESC’s are great, their motors aren’t any better than anyone else’s unless you go for the high dollar sensored ones. Same with HobbyWing. Ok, let the flames begin, I know a lot don’t agree with me, but unless it’s a very specific need/application I’d save the money and buy an inexpensive motor that fits your needs. You’ll probably get a Chinese branded motor for $50.00 that ends up being the “non-branded” equivalent of the name brand that the same factory makes for them which are rebranded and sell for four times as much. A very good ESC that meets your needs is where you need to spend your money.

I think I’m gonna give that hobbystar 3674 2650kv a shot and see how it does, surely it has more power then a velineon 3s system …

First rule of rc. Never buy electronics from a rc manufacturer. They are all over priced trash, tend to catch fire, fail often, and run hot.

Castle or hw make good products. I’d defiantly get a esc from a company that specializes in them.

My maxx runs a 2200kv castle on 6s in it. It came with a 6s mamba x esc. Blew that up in a week. Had to step up to a 8s monster x. No issues after that.

Every single traxxas or spectrum esc I’ve ever owned broke, minus the new fireteam I got last week. That will get blown up in the spring then replaced with another castle system like the rest of my bashers.

Back