Help buying rc buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not familiar with these rigs. I'd recommend looking at YouTube for reviews. Lots of channels do unboxing, speed, and durability tests on RC vehicles and will give candid, transparent results. Just type the name of the vehicle and "review" in the search box and you should get plenty of results. Good luck with your decision!

I can't open them either but I would definitely look at something different.

All of the links you provided don't work. Don't bother with the 1/14th. Go with 1/12th. One with an ESC that will accept 3S. Or you'll have to buy another.

My son and I each have one. Forget the model number. On 3S they're close to 60 mph. Stock. With tweaking....who knows...

The biggest one (12th scale) is your best bet as it's a bit bigger and should be able to withstand more. Should be a bit better to get to the 70mph mark, but you.never know the power that speed can do to a car.

The biggest one (12th scale) is your best bet as it's a bit bigger and should be able to withstand more. Should be a bit better to get to the 70mph mark, but you.never know the power that speed can do to a car.
Can I message you on Facebook so I can show the cars
I can't open them either but I would definitely look at something different.
Like what?

We have a Hypergo 1/16 and my son beats the crap out of it. He just broke the front universal hub and was smart enough to recover the dog bone axle shaft. I swear the scars this thing has, I’m like what are you doing with this thing that it looks like this??!! What I’m getting at is…..it is tough for a traxxas cloning amazon special. The chassis has that honeycomb bracing so I call it a traxxas clone.
They are decent but really, what is your budget? Stay away from the wltoys they will just disappoint you.
The Hypergo stuff is ok for the price, just look at the diffs when you get it to make sure they are greased or oiled. same with the shocks.

All of the links you provided don't work. Don't bother with the 1/14th. Go with 1/12th. One with an ESC that will accept 3S. Or you'll have to buy another.

My son and I each have one. Forget the model number. On 3S they're close to 60 mph. Stock. With tweaking....who knows...
None of those 3 have 3s and 1/12th scale one is 1/14th with 3s and the other two is 1/12th scale and the others 1/14th
We have a Hypergo 1/16 and my son beats the crap out of it. He just broke the front universal hub and was smart enough to recover the dog bone axle shaft. I swear the scars this thing has, I’m like what are you doing with this thing that it looks like this??!! What I’m getting at is…..it is tough for a traxxas cloning amazon special. The chassis has that honeycomb bracing so I call it a traxxas clone.
They are decent but really, what is your budget? Stay away from the wltoys they will just disappoint you.
The Hypergo stuff is ok for the price, just look at the diffs when you get it to make sure they are greased or oiled. same with the shocks.
My maximum is $150 and wltoys are not that bad I’ve had the same one for 7 years and broke twice and still alive

150 really don't get you anything speed

You can try to find a used slash 2wd or Traxxas 2wd rustler or bandit if that, used roller or RTR and build it up from there. This is my suggestion. Traxxas 2wds are probably the most inexpensive (maybe) and most easy starter hobby grade bashers. You can turn those machines into anything. Drag car to speed run to racer to monster truck. Literally anything

I seen a couple Traxxas slashes on eBay and marketplace, roller and RTR for around 150 and 200.

Other platforms like Arrma 4x2 lineup is also nice
Associated Pro2 or RB10 / RC10 lineup
Now 4x4s are where the money comes into.

Where should I go to buy it? Amazon ebay Banggood etc
AMain Hobbies
Tower Hobbies
The brand directly on their website
Local R/C Hobby shops / tracks
Amazon, eBay

I try to stay away from banggood temu wish and AliExpress at all costs. Those sites just seem scammy and fishy too me.

Here are 3 out of 4 of my cars. Started cheap a few years ago. Now all built up to what I feel like is my maximum.
Traxxas Slash 2wd
Traxxas Rustler 2wd
Losi Mini B
Those cars are all in their race / track mode right now.
PXL_20240106_040322984.MP.jpg

I agree with @J'sCrawler

Wltoyz, ehh, they ain't the best
But I heard of those hypergo cars and they take a beating from what I seen.

Last edited:
Traxxas
Arrma
Associated
Anything horizon hobby
Kyosho
@DavidB1126 stop recommending Traxxas! Please! 😂 I’m kidding, sort of. It is an entry level brand to get people going.
@DavidB1126 is right about the $150 not getting you much. Hypergo stuff yeah, that gets you one but I wouldn’t say they are easy to get replacement parts for. Amazon is probably all we have and it takes a long time. Good little cars for the price but when it goes down, yeah it’s down for a minute.
I would either recommend the brushless drift truck or the brushless monster truck, both are 1/14 or 1/16 scale. TomleyRC on YouTube does a good review on the drift truck.
I just can't recommend much for $150. Maybe some 1/28 scale stuff, which I don’t have and can’t comment on, or something else micro that probably requires more money to upgrade because they are made cheaply for your top dollar.
I will go back and read what you are lo for now…..
150 really don't get you anything speed

You can try to find a used slash 2wd or Traxxas 2wd rustler or bandit if that, used roller or RTR and build it up from there. This is my suggestion. Traxxas 2wds are probably the most inexpensive (maybe) and most easy starter hobby grade bashers. You can turn those machines into anything. Drag car to speed run to racer to monster truck. Literally anything

I seen a couple Traxxas slashes on eBay and marketplace, roller and RTR for around 150 and 200.

Other platforms like Arrma 4x2 lineup is also nice
Associated Pro2 or RB10 / RC10 lineup
Now 4x4s are where the money comes into.

AMain Hobbies
Tower Hobbies
The brand directly on their website
Local R/C Hobby shops / tracks
Amazon, eBay

I try to stay away from banggood temu wish and AliExpress at all costs. Those sites just seem scammy and fishy too me.

Here are 3 out of 4 of my cars. Started cheap a few years ago. Now all built up to what I feel like is my maximum.
Traxxas Slash 2wd
Traxxas Rustler 2wd
Losi Mini B
Those cars are all in their race / track mode right now.
View attachment 178429

I agree with @J'sCrawler

Wltoyz, ehh, they ain't the best
But I heard of those hypergo cars and they take a beating from what I seen.
Hey that Silverado looks good! is that the new body you purchased or an old one?

Ok speed is your thing… yeah the brushless monster truck or definitely the drift truck. They do 3S. The brushless stuff is just built a little bit better.

that Silverado looks good! is that the new body you purchased or an old one?
That's the new body I painted up. Yes it looks.good.
Even with all the airflow cutouts.
And stickers for more horsepower

Yea that's why I recommend Traxxas, to get people up and running. I had my slash for 8 years. It's still fun, but it's been overdue for 3 years now to upgrade and move on with my rc Hobby. Maybe looking on getting an arrma. Idk yet. One moment I'm thinking about selling it, but a couple seconds later I'm still wrenching on it and thinking about keeping it.

Well, that shows that these cars can last longer than the Amazon cars, which can get boring in a few days or weeks while something like a entry level Traxxas can last you for years on end. Not to mention the upgrade parts for the Traxxas cars is literally never ending. There is so much out there. If you break something, you can get back up and running fast / faster as online retailers and hobby shops carry Traxxas parts (all over the US)

Also, for the OP
What are you exactly looking for? What are you doing with the car? Are you strictly doing speed runs? Or do you want something that can do multiple things and can be versatile? Like speed run and off-road basher, street basher, drag, monster truck. (That's why I recommend Traxxas for starting out, you can turn them into anything and use them for anything)

Losi Mini B and T 2.0 are in that 150 price range, new RTR, but not meant for speed. Those are meant for in the house fun, bashing and racing. I have a mini b myself in the picture above.

Last edited:
so Js recommends a rc that can do70 mph ..unlikely.
Ill say this .if you want speeds of the said #s. I go with a used 1/8 scale. make sure you can get parts to repair your numerous crashes your going to have.

I've been in rc since late 1970's..It was 99% nitro..

If your trying speed runs you better be prepared to speed some money .At 150 $ your not going to get the speeds your after

Speed running is very expensive and Id not recommend it for beginners. If you're going to do it anyway, listen to what the others here are saying.

Back