Good Electric Kit to build ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danthuyer

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Gang

I purchased a Tekno 410.3 kit six weeks ago for myself as I wanted to buy a good truck that I could build myself and the reviews of them are quite good. However unfortunately the seller has done a dodgy on me and never sent the package (luckily I used PayPal so I get a refund) During that time I started buying all the other bits so now I have all the internals but nothing to put them in.

What would be a good kit for me to build ? I'm just wanting a good solid 1/10 car or truck to play around at home with that can take a few jumps and be fast and responsive.

What I have :
3s Lipo (8000mah 50C & 5200mah 50C)
OEM Hobbywing SC8-RTR ESC (BEC is limited to 6v)
Hobbywing EZRUN 3660 SL G2 4000KV motor
35kg brushed servo (6v)

I live in Australia so something that doesn't cost the world to ship and I would like to keep the budget to around $300 USD

Last edited:
I'd still consider getting the Tekno SCT410.3... just get from reputable seller. I don't know the cost to ship or closest seller to you, but at Fierce RC (with $25 coupon) a SCT410.3 will cost $294 before shipping.

I'd still consider getting the Tekno SCT410.3... just get from reputable seller. I don't know the cost to ship or closest seller to you, but at Fierce RC (with $25 coupon) a SCT410.3 will cost $294 before shipping.
Unfortunately any American based company wants early $100 or more to ship and the only units I've found down here are $600AUD

I 2nd this. There are other nice kits out there, but the Tekno kits really aren't priced bad at all consideeing how nice they are. I don't know what RC's are considered top tier in Aussieland, but here in the States, Tekno is up there with the best.

Associated, Losi, Kyosho might be other brands to look at though, depending on what kind of RC you want to build.
Unfortunately any American based company wants early $100 or more to ship and the only units I've found down here are $600AUD
That makes a difference. Look at Kyosho. Maybe they have something that will fit your preferences. And you should be able to get them cheaper there.

that hw 3660 motor @ 4000 kv on 3 cells troubles me . id go way under in kv on 3 cells.. and gear it up .
as for being down under and a kit to build. i have heard there's a good bunch of hobby stores in au.

The electronics you have chosen have limited you to a 4WD SCT as about your only option. Of the kits out there I would only recommend TEKNO or TLR, however I understand that shipping can be a concern, another option is the HoBao Hyper10SC though it's a very dated platform and not nearly as durable as TEKNO or TLR, more info here:

Side note: I see you've selected a 3S which is a bit much for the 4000KV motor, you will be very limited on your gearing options and will likely need to gear down considerably, more info here:

I used to have a TEKNO SCT410.3 and I ran it on 3S with a 2500KV motor, more info here:

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Well its been a while and here is what happened @RustyUs has already seen this on a FB group

I did indeed bite the bullet and buy a Tekno SCT410.3 from Coast 2 Coast RC and I am glad I did. Justin the owner is a really nice guy and I had a quick chat to him on the phone on a Sunday, I ordered the kit that night and it was delivered to my door on the Tuesday ! (that kind of delivery turn around in Australia is fantastic)

I have been building the kit over the last couple of weeks and I have REALLY enjoyed it as it took me back to my days as a youth building models with my father (which was half the reason for buying it) I didn't have ANY issues at all with the build and I was really surprised at the quality of the components. I wasn't sure what to expect but now I know why people like tekno.

This build is NOT A COMPETITION TRUCK its a basher for around home and I wanted to try an build it on a modest budget and I think I have done so as the final budget came in at $980 AUD.

I've been driving it the last two night on my driveway getting used to it and I am getting comfortable with it now and I'm almost ready to do find a local track to play on and have a bit of fun.

Is it fast - YES
Was it a fun build - YES
Could I have gone bigger and better - SURE

But at the end of the day I really enjoyed building this and I'm really enjoying driving it and I'm looking forward to tweaking the build and driving it with my son.

IMG20230321205215.jpg

IMG20230327144632.jpg

IMG20230328170944.jpg

IMG20230321191419.jpg

Looks great man. Glad you like it. But you need some Tekno decals on there somewhere 😉

Looks great and yes building them is half the fun. Going to the track can be addictive, before you know it you'll be racing it. I started with a basher, I'm now building my third track truck. Enjoy!

Toroidal transformer. Often used in hi fi stuff due to... Uh, reasons.

Back